@Jusiv

Follow
Follow
A Dream's Command
by Jusiv

I don't have a problem with there being a running, searchable list of featured carts, as was added in the new BBS update. However, it is problematic that adding that seems to have removed the option to sort through all carts by the number of stars they've been given. It would be appreciated if we got that feature back in addition to the new one.

P#59727 2018-12-05 21:53 ( Edited 2018-12-06 17:08)

Some of you may remember me bringing this idea up previously, and the concept was met with a lot of positivity but didn't actually go anywhere. But, as the end of the year is approaching, I thought it would be a fitting time to actually try to make it happen!

As such, allow me to introduce the P8 Awards!

Cart [#jusiv_p8awards_v02-0#] | 2018-12-03 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

(Use left and right to view different awards.)

These are an (unofficial) set of awards, similar to the Steam Awards, designed to celebrate PICO-8 carts.
The community will nominate carts over the course of December, and then vote on them over the course of January.

~ ~ ~ NOMINATE CARTS HERE! ~ ~ ~

THE AWARDS

[32x32]
#1. "Has to be Nano" Award
This goes to a cart that defies what you though PICO-8 could do.

[32x32]
#2. "Underrated" Award
This goes to a cart that deserves waaay more stars than it has.

[32x32]
#3. "Out of the Box" Award
This goes to a cart that stands out for how unique it is.

[32x32]
#4. "Ephemeral" Award
This goes to a cart that's brief but nevertheless captivating.

[32x32]
#5. "Vortex" Award
This goes to a cart that keeps pulling you back to it again and again.

[32x32]
#6. "Beep Boop Banger" Award
This goes to a cart that with outstanding music.

[32x32]
#7. "Novella" Award
This goes to a cart that tells an exceptional story.

[32x32]
#8. "Sparkling" Award
This goes to a cart that positively shines with polish.

THE DETAILS

~ ~ ~ NOMINATE CARTS HERE! ~ ~ ~

Cart nominations will end at 11:59PM Eastern Time on December 31, 2018.
Rules:

• 1 cart nomination per award per person.
  • You may nominate a cart for multiple awards.
  • Carts can be of ANY age!

If this becomes an annual thing, then nominations would normally only be open to carts released in that year. But since this is the first time this has been tried, for this round ANY cart will be allowed, no matter how old!

Cart voting will end at 11:59PM Eastern Time on January 31, 2019.
Carts won't be available for voting until the nominations are finished.

P#59600 2018-12-03 06:51 ( Edited 2018-12-03 15:00)

A turn-less, world-less RPG made in 48 hours.

Cart [#jusiv_b2018_v03-0#] | 2018-12-03 | No License | Embed

HOW TO PLAY
Controls:

• Z/X/C: Advance/Select
  • Left/Right: Change Selected Character
  • Up/Down: Change Selected Action

Abilities:
The abilities aren't well explained beyond their names in-game, so here's a reference:

• STRIKE: Deal elemental damage to the opponent.
  • SPECIAL: Each character has a completely different Special ability.
    > Powderhound doubles the foe's remaining cooldown time.
    > Rogue deals high non-elemental damage.
    > Clover heals themselves.
  • BOLSTER: Heal the other two characters.

Attributes:
Each character, every enemy, and most attacks have an elemental attribute.
These are as follows: Frost (Blue), Hate (Red), and Zeal (Green)
Frost deals double damage to Hate, Hate deals double damage to Zeal, and Zeal deals double damage to Frost. (It's basically just Water/Fire/Grass.)

Tips:

• All actions have a cooldown, during which the user cannot act again.
  • When a character falls, they can be revived by Bolstering them. They will revive with a cooldown dependent on how far below 0 their HP had fallen.
  • If all characters are defeated, the player must reset the cartridge to try again.
  • Some enemies can create elemental shields, which protect them from all damage. They must be hit with a Strike of the attribute which is effective against theirs to be removed.

ABOUT
This is a light linear RPG which consists entirely of dialogue and combat. There are 16 battles in total.

I made this by myself in 48 hours for the B-Term 2018 Game Jam at WPI. I didn't have time to make any audio for it, and some things could use more explanation and polish, but otherwise it is basically complete.

The jam theme was to use three name generators and make a game inspired by the results (one for finding your Werewolf name, one for finding your Skier/Snowboarder name, and one for finding your Leprechaun name). I wound up with Rogue Hound, Powderhound Snowscombe, and Clover McWoozy (respectively). These ended up becoming the names of the three characters and informed their personalities, attributes, and abilities.

I might go through and try to expand or improve this later somehow but we'll see.

And if you'd like to see more of my stuff, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

P#59592 2018-12-03 00:34 ( Edited 2018-12-03 08:56)

A simple little arcade game made well within 48 hours.

Cart [#56752#] | 2018-09-16 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

I made this for WPI's A-term 2018 game jam. I didn't have a ton of time to spend on it, but this is what I wound up with.

It was based on this poem.exe tweet:
before this autumn wind
flower face
awake

You play as a flower with a face trying to keep its petals from blowing off by leaning into the unpredictably changing wind.

Controls:

• Z/X/C: Start Game / Retry
  • Left/Right: Lean

There's no music but there are sound effects.

And if you want to follow my work, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

P#56755 2018-09-16 20:06 ( Edited 2018-09-17 04:51)

Cart [#56073#] | 2018-09-02 | No License | Embed

A "platformer" without platforms, made in under 48 hours for the 2018 GMTK Jam!

You play as a bird (wearing a baseball cap) on a search to find a new floating island after their first one crumbles. Instead of jumping off platforms, you flap your wings in mid air to propel yourself in the direction you're aiming.

There are four levels in total.

Controls:

• Z/X: Flap
  • Left + Right: Aim

I ran out of time to do proper music, but otherwise it's pretty complete.

You can also get it on itch.io.
And if you'd like to see more of my work, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

P#56075 2018-09-02 17:36 ( Edited 2018-09-12 03:02)

Cart [#49637#] | 2018-02-25 | No License | Embed

(The Post-Jam version has the score continually decrease, encouraging frequent sniffing! Aside from that it's identical.)

Cart [#49613#] | 2018-02-24 | No License | Embed

Sniff flowers! Blow bees away! Don't sniff bees!

This is a game I made in 24 hours for WPI's "Take a Breather" Jam. The theme was "A Good Sniff." All assets and code are my own work.

If you're interested in seeing more of my work, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

CONTROLS:

• Up: Inhale
  • Down: Exhale

TIPS:

• Sniff flowers to score points. Exhaling first lets you get a longer sniff. The longer the sniff, the more points it's worth!
  • Bees sting you if you try to inhale them, but you can blow them away by exhaling.
  • You run out of breath if you exhale for too long.
P#49614 2018-02-24 17:51 ( Edited 2018-03-15 05:25)

I've been thinking it would be really cool to have a set of awards that the community can nominate and vote on carts to receive, much like the Steam Awards.

Thus, I present the P8 Awards!

Cart [#49252#] | 2018-02-13 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

(Use the arrow keys to look at different ones.)

I don't intend these to necessarily be the finalized options, or even to be a thing that we actually do, but I thought I'd at least mock up a "proof of concept" set to see what people think.

For the first set, I think it would make sense to allow any cart to be nominated, but in future ones (if this becomes a thing) it could be restricted to carts from the past year if people want.

So, what do people think of this idea? Feel free to give any suggestions for changes or alternate awards, too!

P#49191 2018-02-11 23:03 ( Edited 2018-02-13 23:47)

... in a cold, dark forest.

Keep the fire burning, stay warm, and don't get lost.
How long can you survive against the wilds?

Cart [#48048#] | 2018-01-10 | No License | Embed

ABOUT
I made this over the first week of 2018 for the Winter Break Jam held by Worcester Polytechnic Institute's Game Development Club. The theme for the jam was just the phrase "very warm."

All assets and code are my own work.

And if you want to see more of my stuff, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

CONTROLS

• Arrows: Move
  • Z/X/C: Start Game

(Walk into something to interact with it.)

CHANGELOG

• Initial Release - 1/7/2018
  • v2 - 1/10/2018
    (I say Version 2, but I really just tweaked how shadows and fairy circles are drawn. Nothing major was changed.)

You can also find this game on itch.io: https://jusiv.itch.io/a-very-warm-fire

P#47943 2018-01-07 13:14 ( Edited 2018-11-08 23:39)

CAUTION: Some areas in this game cause a significant flickering effect.

by Jusiv
Cart [#47637#] | 2017-12-22 | No License | Embed

ABOUT:
NULL is a surreal adventure game. What you see in the end depends on what you can find on the way.
A 100% playthrough can be completed in 10-15 minutes, if you know where everything is.

This is my third full Pico-8 game (not counting stuff from game jams)! I made it over the course of November and December 2017. All assets and code are my own work.

If you want to see more of my stuff, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

CONTROLS:

• Z/X/C: Interact

TIPS:

• There are two types of things to find. Each area has exactly one of each.
  • Some hidden things will only appear once you've reached the end of an area.
  • If you get totally stuck, maybe try resting for a minute.
  • This won't help you progress, but maybe play this: Messages. It might be significant.

CHANGELOG:
v1.0 - Initial Release - 12/22/2017
v1.1 - Minor Tweaks - 12/22/2017

P#47625 2017-12-22 12:26 ( Edited 2018-01-17 22:50)

The Bug:
I've been noticing lately that the cursor in Pico-8's code editor sometimes will get "stuck." It will suddenly start moving continuously to either the start or end of the current line, and even if I try to move the cursor it will just move itself directly back. Holding down the arrow key opposing the direction it's moving in will make it stay in place, a character away from the start/end of the line. For whatever reason, this never makes the cursor change lines, so it doesn't appear to be something as simple as a single input getting repeated unnecessarily. It also affects the cursor command line.

The Cause:
This bug does not appear to have a consistent cause that I can identify, though I think it most often happens when I'm hitting multiple keys at once.

Solutions:
As far as I'm aware, the only way to restore normal functioning is to closing and re-opening Pico-8.

Have other people have encountered this? Does anyone know of any other solutions to this issue?
(I'm using 0.1.11D, but it happened with earlier versions too.)

P#46507 2017-11-20 08:42 ( Edited 2017-11-20 16:19)

Cart [#46482#] | 2017-11-19 | No License | Embed

I made this for a 48-hour game jam hosted by Worcester Polytechnic Institute's Game Development Club. The theme was either tarot cards in general, or to take three specific tarot cards and design the game off of them. I opted for the latter, and ended up making a boss rush shmup.

Due to time limitations I wasn't able to add sounds or music, and backgrounds are basically nonexistent, but aside from that the game is pretty much completely done.

Can you defy your fate?

CONTROLS:

• Left + Right: Move
  • Z/C: Shoot
  • X: Dash
P#46479 2017-11-19 17:14 ( Edited 2018-09-29 15:58)

Cart [#45564#] | 2017-10-28 | No License | Embed

A Halloween endless runner! Collect candy corn, phase through stuff, and in general be a ghost!
Feel free to post your top scores here!

CONTROLS:

• X: Continue/Phase Out

(Note: You can also change the color palette from the pause menu if you want. The jam's specific restriction was 3 colors on screen at once, so this feature doesn't violate it.)

ABOUT:
I made this over the course of October 2017 for Enargy and Castpixel's 3-Color Jam. All assets and code are my own work.
If you want to follow stuff I do you can check out my Twitter: @jusiv_

P#45565 2017-10-28 19:20 ( Edited 2017-10-31 14:39)

This is just a simple little visual toy I made, not an actual game.

Cart [#43189#] | 2017-08-12 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

I decided to try making a Tweetcart the other day, and realized that the method I was using generated a lot of different animated patterns when you changed just one value in it (180 patterns, to be exact). So, I built a menu around it to manually change that value and wound up with this.

And yes, I did go through all 180 possibilities to find the ones I though looked good. I had a long car ride and time to kill, ok?

Anyways, just thought I'd put this here in case people were interested. Feel free to post your favorites!

NOTE: You can find the original Tweetcart (or at least a gif of it and a code screenshot) on my Twitter: @Jusiv_
It's the same effect as Pattern #5 in this version.

P#43190 2017-08-12 19:43 ( Edited 2017-08-12 23:43)

Cart [#42902#] | 2017-07-30 | No License | Embed

- - - ABOUT - - -
So right after I finished my first released game, Messages, I decided that I wanted to try and make an RPG in Pico-8. Well, about a month and a half later, this is what that project became.

This thing barely fits on a cart, using all 8192 tokens, each of the 64 available sounds, and basically all of the sprite and texture data.

Oh, and I did what I could with the soundtrack, but I'm not a musician so I can't promise anything about it's quality.

And if you're interesting in finding out about future projects of mine, you can check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

- - - BASIC CONTROLS - - -
Menus:

• Up/Down:
    Change Selection
  • Left/Right:
    Change Skill Tab (only in battle)
  • Z/X:
    Choose Selection

Overworld:

• Arrows:
    Move
  • Z/X:
    Interact (when prompted)

If you stand still for a few seconds, you can view your current status.

- - - COMBAT - - -
You have three basic types of skills you can use in combat: Attacks, Spells, and Actions. In order to use a skill, you will have to perform a quick minigame to determine its effectiveness. As you level up, you will unlock more skills.

Attacks and Spells are offensive. The base damage they deal is determined by how well you execute their minigame, but the final damage dealt is also affected by the enemy's defense against the chosen type of skill. Higher-tier Attacks and Spells are more powerful, but also harder to execute.

• To perform an Attack, you will have to stop a series of moving sliders on the highlighted sections using Z/X.
  • To perform a Spell, you will have to quickly sort a series of runes by color (orange or blue). If they're orange, hit Z/Left, and if they're blue hit X/Right.

Actions are defensive, and there are only two available: Flee and Recover. Flee exits a battle (if executed correctly), while Recover restores up to half of your maximum health and can cure status effects (but has a 2 turn cooldown).

• To perform Flee, rapidly hit the button shown. Pay attention, since the required button may change after each successful press!
  • To perform Recover, you have to keep a meter balanced in the center using Left and Right (or Z and X). The amount of health restored will vary depending on your maximum HP and how effectively you executed the minigame. As long as you don't let the meter fall too far to either side, it will also cure any status effect you have.

Lastly, there are three status effects which enemies can give you: Poison, Dizzy, and Panic.

• Poison deals gradual damage over time.
  • Dizzy has a chance to halve your base damage when you use an Attack or a Spell.
  • Panic makes minigames harder to execute.

- - - CHANGELOG - - -
v1.0 - Initial Release (7/30/2017)

P#42903 2017-07-30 03:13 ( Edited 2017-07-30 07:13)

An odd game about texting.

You can choose when it ends...
How far are you willing to go?

Cart [#42296#] | 2017-07-09 | No License | Embed

CONTROLS:
Z/C: Look at Phone; Send Message
X: Put Phone Away; Go to Sleep (Hold)
Arrow Keys: Choose Message
(All controls are explained in-game)

WARNINGS:

• This game is about dialogue, so be prepared to read. The script contains nearly 350 individual texts, though there’s no way to see each one in a single playthrough.
  • This game includes some dialogue which is arguably like cyberbullying.

VERSION HISTORY:

• v1: Initial Release
  • v1.1: Corrected an illogical text.
  • v1.2: Reworded a couple texts.
  • v1.3: Fixed a couple minor spelling/word choice issues.
P#41710 2017-06-16 23:39 ( Edited 2018-11-24 00:56)

X
About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2018-12-11 07:56 | 0.236s | 4194k | Q:181