(Receive email notifications)
A game about escaping a dungeon, one room at a time.
Arrow keys to move and aim
- Progress is saved whenever you enter a new room or defeat a boss, so if you get stuck you can come back later
- You can reset the current room, toggle music, or reset your whole progress from the menu (press p or enter)
- You can hold x, press the arrow keys to aim your fireball, then release x to shoot
- You may find a room too difficult to beat right now. Please take a break and come back - I know you can do it!
- 24 carefully designed rooms to overcome, with
- 8 types of enemies and obstacles, and
- 3 unique boss fights
- All original sprites, levels, music, sfx (and code)
This is my first completed pico-8 game.
About a year ago I decided to make a simple platformer built around shooting fireballs.
I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing projects, so you already know I dropped it after a while to work on something else.
A few months ago I decided to revisit the game with the goal of finishing it no matter what.
This took a lot of time, way more than I expected!
I ran into major problems when I encountered the token limit, and had to do some massive refactoring.
In the end I still had to do a lot of the typical tricks (multiple assignments, hardcoding stuff, etc) to keep the token count down, which was kind of frustrating.
This did force me to reduce scope and actually finish the game though.
I had several friends playtest the game during development, which allowed me to iterate on the mechanics and levels.
I wanted the game to feel rather challenging for the average player, but always fair and possible to overcome.
I hope some of you find it fun :)
If you find the game too easy, please play on mobile for more of a challenge (not a joke)