THE BALLZ ARE LAVA!
"Nobody knows why - it's just always been this way. Our chance of survival is to absorb all the Green Orbs floating around, while avoiding certain death by touching the Lava - all before the time runs out!"
|This was my entry to the #FC_JAM, where the theme was "Union".
Please Click here to play & consider voting for it! ;o)
- Mouse = Move player (Recommended)
- Arrows = Move player
- Endless number of levels*
- (Theoretically - though probably impossible after a while!)
- Each level is "consistently random" - learn the best way to win!
- 6x Power-Ups to help you throughout the game
- Timed levels - Race the clock!
- High Score
- Familiar-sounding thumping music... *cough*
THANKS & ATTRIBUTION:
The following PICO-8 posts & resources were very helpful in the making of this game:
- blokatt's "fire" tweetjam
- Zoom Counter by RhythmLynx
- Krystman's "Screenshake and Fading" sample code
- Big numbers in PICO-8 (Felice, NuSan, et al.)
- ...and of course, "Funky Shit" by The Prodigy (sorry if I butchered it!)
* 1.0: Initial version
WHAT IS SCUMM-8?
SCUMM-8 is a PICO-8 "demake" of the SCUMM engine that powered most of the classic LucasArts adventure games, such as Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion. However, it is only (heavily) "inspired" by the SCUMM engine, not a true replica - for that you'll want good ol' SCUMM-VM.
My plan/hope is to make it possible for anyone to make their own point & click adventure games in PICO-8!
• Multiple Rooms (up to 32, technically)
• Pathfinding for walking
• Dialogs between Actors
• Camera system (pan-to, follow, static)
• Room transitions ("iris", cut)
• Customisable Verbs
• Z-plane ordering of objects/actors
• Global-level (background) & Room-level scripts
• Game start-up script
• Object dependencies
• Replace Color (to allow re-use of room/object gfx)
• Adjustable Room Brightness Levels
• Screen "shake" effect
• Proximity (between Actors/Objects)
• Further compression of engine/game definition code
(as the engine takes WAY more tokens/size than planned!)
• Separate cart for creating/editing levels (if possible - depends on point above)
• Save/Load support (when space allows)
• More on GitHub...
All the code is on GitHub.
The above "game" is just a silly demo that I created as part of testing the engine. Unfortunately, due to the large size of the engine + game code, it had to be "minified" to allow posting to the BBS. The original demo game source can be found here.
Please see the SCUMM-8 Wiki for details on how to get started creating your own SCUMM-8 game, as well as the the full API reference.
The following PICO-8 posts & resources were very helpful in the making of SCUMM-8:
• picotool: Tools and Python libraries for manipulating Pico-8 game files
• Overcoming tokens
• Sample Code: Screenshake and Fading
• A* pathfinding example
This is my first PICO-8 submission and, probably, my first ever (completed) game! :)
SLACKER is a tribute to classic "stacking" game that many of us wasted lots of time (and money) playing down the arcade. However, unlike the real one, this game is NOT rigged... (but it IS hard!) ;)
I've even included four possible prizes to select from, should you reach the top!
(who's gonna be the first to "catch 'em all" - no cheating!) ;)
Hope you enjoy it - I spent WAY too long on what was supposed to be a "quick game to learn PICO-8"
Updates in v1.2:
• Now supports 60fps (thanks to @zep for adding it to PICO-8 v0.1.9)
• Also made it a tad easier (was too difficult before - not sure it was really 'beatable'!)
Z/X - Place Block(s) / Select Prize
Arrows - (not used)
--- Release History
1.2: Now supports 60fps and also made it a tad easier (was too difficult before!)
1.1: Removed exploit that made game much easier + added screen shake when prize drops
1.0: First version