Slowly making a compilation of some of the tweetcarts I've done in the past. It will probably take more than one cart but we'll see.
- left/right - cycle to the next tweetcart
- up - jump to random tweetcart
- down - reset timer
- hold z - fast timer
- hold x - reverse timer
Extra Controls (second controller):
- s/f - cycle screen mirror modes
Update 5/7/2019 - Added 12 more tweetcarts
Collect all the green pickups to open the exit (double yellow circle) of each stage. Finish all 20 stages fast, brag your best times online on your favorite social network!
- left/right: rotate the stage
- down: increase the ball's gravity to drop faster
- also supports mouse/touch controls
- 20 stages
- 4 bosses
- Many new game pluses (each with reshuffled procedurally generated levels).
- Lots of circles
- Different backgrounds per level (based on my own favorite tweetcarts).
I actually started this game more than a year ago but got distracted with other projects and its abstractness made it difficult to come back to. But after a quick poll on twitter, it was chosen by many as the next project I should work on, so here we are. I think it came out fun, what do you think? As always, please post below if you find any problems or suggestions and your best times playing the game.
- Added much-requested hint arrow.
- Buttons X and O can now also be used for fast-drop
4 GIGA BOSS FIGHTS
Fight your way through an onslaught of more than 4 billion consecutive boss fights in top-down shooting arcade action madness. Dodge bullet-hell as your ship automatically shoots the core of the enemy.
- More than 4 billion bosses
- 22 unlockable player ships
- gazillions of bullets
- a few lasers!
- 3 game modes: normal, attract and permadeath
- auto game save persistence between sessions (quit the game anytime)
As usual, please share your thoughts, comments and bug reports below. I truly appreciate everyone's feedback.
Also a big shout-out to my #pico8 bros on twitter for giving great ideas and suggestions as I was developing this one. You guys are awesome!
- Bosses now have Lovecraftian names!
- Optimized a bit (if things get out of hand stop spawning background particles)
- This means more bullets, harder game... git gud
- Increased the play area a little bit
- Less inertia on the ship's movement
- Shows the number of tries (game overs) on normal mode
- Fix a permadeath persistence bug
- Added touch/mouse support
You're in charge of the friendly dungeon's basement, a place where the most troublesome NPCs of the dungeon get thrown out for corrective measures. Your job is to make groups of 3 or more NPC "friends" (either all of the same type or all different) and send them back up to the friendly dungeon above.
<dpad> - move your ghost dude around
<x> - grab and hold characters with your dude's shadow, release and press again to grab more
<z> - once you grab 3 or more characters, press this button while still holding <x> to try and send them back up
This is probably one of my most experimental games to date so you might find the gameplay a bit strange. Hopefully you'll still give it a chance and tell me what you think. Cheers Pico-8 Fellows!
Update: Forgot to add my usual credit + year to the title screen. Also added an earlier less crazy alarm when the friendly meter is running out.
You are the tomato worm and you are very hungry for tomatoes. Clear mind-bending puzzle levels of all tomatoes by eating them while making sure you don't get stuck in corners with your growing body.
arrow-keys/d-pad: move the tomato worm on the grid
x: go to next level after clearing the current one
z: restart current level
- 65 levels
- more gameplay elements including non-ripe tomatoes
- rocket into the spiraling vortex
- face and destroy the cosmic horrors living inside it
- restore peace to the galaxy once and for all
- left/right - move your ship in a circle around the vortex
- up/down - get closer into or farther away from the vortex
- z - shoot your weapon, hold for auto-fire and to make your ship move slower
- movement of your ship is vortex-relative, it helps to stay on the bottom part of the vortex to not make movement confusing
- try to stay as far away from the vortex as possible
- try to only move sideways most of the time, sometimes it's even better to move slowly (by holding fire) or even to not move at all
- you'll die a lot, but you have infinite lives, the only punishment is the time delay of your next ship to arrive
- try to kill the enemies as fast as possible to get further into the vortex
Feel free to add any comments, suggestions, bugs, etc. below. I'm interested in hearing what you think about the game in terms of: difficulty, controls, pacing, length, etc.
Update 1.01: After playing the game on the GameShell, I noticed the hud was really hard to read so I made it brighter and auto-hide when the player ship is close.
When run-gun-bots are not out on the field doing adventure missions they have fun doing intensive training by fighting each other on special practice rooms.
Hook up some extra controllers and grab a friend to battle in the arena!
Be the best run-gun-bot when the time limit is reached. Master the different weapons and stages to ensure victory against your fellow run-gun-bot peers.
- 32 practice rooms
- 8 different gun types
- 6 different match modes
- 2 to 4 player matches
- d-pad - move your bot and aim your weapon
- X - shoot your current weapon
- O - jump
- most-frags - hit opponents as many times as you can
- least-hurt - avoid as many hits as possible
- capture-the-flag - grab the flag and hold it for the longest time
- king-of-the-hill - touch the flag on the ground and try to keep others from touching it
- collect-a-thon - collect as many coins as you can
- collect-most-guns - collect as many weapons as you can
Feel free to report any bugs or suggestions you might find!
Run-Gun-Bot is on a top-secret mission and nobody can stop him. He'll rampage through a maze-like world filled with bad guys and hazards. Uncover the mysteries of his mission as you collect gun power-ups and coins.
- z = shoot active weapon, hold to stand your ground and shoot in-place
- x = jump
- duck + left/right = switch to the previous/next weapon (can also switch through the pause menu)
- Green: bouncy grenades, destroys dirty blocks, useful for shooting from above
- Brown: machine gun, not very strong, shoots super fast, hold forward as you release the z button for a fast dash forward. Used to get across large chasms by jumping and dashing forward in mid-air.
- Red: rocket gun, slow rate, strong power, destroys breakable stone blocks, shoot in mid-air to act as a double jump
- Orange: flame thrower, short distance, high rate, strong power, destroys bramble blocks, hold the z button in mid-air to trigger stalled descent
- Blue: ice gun, regular rate, gravity curved shooting, cools off lava blocks
- Pink: bubblegum gun, slowest rate, big and powerful, absorbs enemy bullets, player touching bullets causes player to get launched upward
This game is a tribute to some of my favorite NES classics including (among others): Mega Man, Contra, Blaster Master & Metroid.
- Fixed some level layouts that were causing slight confusion on some playthroughs.
- Fixed other minor bugs.
- Added a "reset game+!?" to the main menu: restarts the game in a mirrored version of the game map, including a different ending. Post a screenshot once you get it. :)
Skulldude doesn't remember much, he just feels a deep soul-burning hatred towards the slimes. Help him unleash his wrath as he storms the slimes' dungeon increasing his fiery power as he goes.
- <z> - shoot fire, hold to auto-fire and move slow
- <x> - dash forward/become invulnerable for a little bit
- arrow keys/d-pad - move around
- Dashing can go through enemies and their bullets. Learn to use it well, it's critical during boss fights.
- Finishing all enemies in a room makes that room cleared even if you die.
- Look for suspicious pixels on the map to find secrets.
- The game can be finished in less than 10 minutes, how fast can you do it?
- a flaming skull dude
- 32 rooms filled with lots of slimes, power-ups and secrets
- 4 boss fights
- lot of bullets
Full Map Cheat:
This is my entry to the #3cjam, it was a lot of fun working on it. Special thanks to enargy for organizing it and the rest of the pico-8 community for being all around plain awesome!
In case it's not obvious, the original Zelda was the main influence making this game.
Enjoy and please don't heasitate to send feedback my way!
Update 1.01 (11/9/2017):
- upgrade menu now waits a second before a selection can be made, should avoid accidental selections
- unreachable pickup orbs are now persisted between sessions
- front end doesn't go crazy anymore after a little while
Lil' Satan's Cake Quest is an old-school 2D platformer game.
Objective: Storm the enemy's castle to eat lots of cake!
- Transform your enemies into cake with your electric beams (z button)
- Eat cake to gain back lost health
- Maximize you health and beam power by eating golden cakes dropped by demons
- Hold z in mid air to hover while shooting electric beams
In case it's not obvious, this was also inspired greatly by the Ghosts and Goblins and Castlevania franchises.
- Added boss music and boss killed music
- Penalizes death by saving time spent while resetting everything else (upgrades and cakes)
- A tiny little cameo :)
Slime Bubble Bro is a fast action platformer arcade game.
You are the Slime Bubble Bro and your mission is to save Slimette from the evil clutches of the Skeleton Gang and their minions!
- <x> to jump, <z> to shoot
- Bubble up your enemies until they explode
- Push bubbles around to chain their explosions and get more points
- Bosses can't be bubbled, but you can use their minions to do more damage
- 32 rooms
- 4 boss fights
- Infinite lives, but there's a score penalty every time you die, in fact, your score can actually become negative
- The game can be finished in less than 15 minutes
- Bubbled enemies also serve as shields from incoming enemy bullets, use them strategically
- Reset the cart after finishing the game for a little surprise
Main Influences: Snow Bros & Bubble Bobble
As always: comments, bug reports and suggestions for improvements are greatly appreciated.
This is my entry to TRASEVOL_DOG's tinyTVjam: A basic port of Dr. Mario. Enjoy!
- Clear the bottle from viruses (flashing blocks) matching their colors in groups of 4 using the falling pills.
- Move the falling pill using the d-pad.
- Rotate the pill using <z> or <x>
- Difficulty increases on each level by adding 2 more viruses and pills falling faster.
- Progress gets saved each level is cleared so you can try again where you failed.
Any comments and/or bug reports would be greatly appreciated.
Blast off and strike the evil green legion of mutating ships from outer-space!
- Move your main ship around with the arrow keys.
- Shoot with <z>.
- Holding <z> makes your ship go slower.
- Once you level up and gain extra ships you can do a power attack with <x>.
- Power attacks deal a lot of damage and clears all enemy bullets but it takes a while for the extra ship to cool-down and be useful again.
- Extra ships follow you around shooting forward.
- If your main ship gets destroyed, the next extra ship becomes your new main ship in its place.
- In short the extra ships are: lives, bombs and helpers in one.
- Lots. Of. Bullets!
- Randomized procedurally generated enemies, mini-bosses and end-level bosses. Every play-through is different.
- 1 bullet hits the enemy = 1 experience point. Each experience level reached makes your ship more powerful by giving you one of these: extra-ships, increased bullet shooting rate or increased power attack and lower cool-downs.
- No penalty in death. You keep your experience points and experience level, you just restart the current level.
- 10 different levels and infinite new game pluses with increased difficulty.
- Shooters: Zanac, R-Type, Gradius, Cave Shmups, Recca, Raiden, 1942.
- Others: Metroid, Cookie Clicker, RPGs.
- Excellent Pico-8 Shooters: Astero, They Started It, Invader Overload, Buzzkill.
This has been my most ambitious Pico-8 game yet and I would greatly appreciate any feedback you might have... also, I'm interested to see how far people get on the game. Enjoy!
Special thanks to everyone on the pico-8 community for the help, encouragement and awesome little code snippets! I <3 Pico-8!
- Adding a little flashing outline to the main ship to make it easier to distinguish from your buddy ships.
- Made boss generation a tiny bit more interesting, I think.
- Tweaks to the first level to try to make it a bit less boring.
- Fixed to run on the PocketCHIP!
- Fixed accidentially triggering a power attack by starting the game with 'x'. Now the game can only be started/continued with 'z'.
- Display "death count" on game over screen as well.
- Your good friends are lost in this complex cave maze, run inside it to find them quickly!
- Press button, click mouse or tap the screen to make your runner jump.
- Use the restart run menu option in the pause menu if you feel you're wasting too much time on a single run.
- Simple one-button/mouse-click/screen-tap control allows you to play on your PC, tablet or smart phone.
- In Cave Runners there is no death nor damage, only annoying difficult jumps, missed jumps, one-sided walls and evil inanimate things alike.
- 6 unlockable extra playable characters.
- Each character has an extra secret target objective... be sure to find it.
Special thanks to my wife for playtesting the game, people in twitter for motivational retweets and likes and people here that post useful code examples with techniques, tweetcarts and whatnots.
Feedback, critiques, bugs, best-times, screenshots, etc would be greatly appreciated by yours truly.
Click here to see my personal best times:
- Tiny update to make a few jumps a little less frustrating.
- Replaced the target circle with a little arrow.
- Added gold, silver and bronze medals based on my personal times, try to beat them.
- Once all characters are unlocked, display the sum of best time... see how much you can reduce it.
NIJI - A Colorful Rainbow One-Dimensional Action Match-3 Puzzle Game
Music was highly influenced by the Moon Theme of the NES Duck Tales game.
- press up/down to make your fire flower line change lanes in the rainbow
- press <z> to go faster
- catch incoming flowers by touching them with your fire flower line
- use left/right to highlight a flower in the line
- press <x> to select it and move it around with left/right
- press <x> again to place it
- match 3 flowers of the same color to explode them and earn score points
- the more flowers you explode in a single move the more points they're worth
- if you miss catching a flower, it'll get added to the back of the file in a frozen state
- only way to unfreeze a frozen flower is to explode another flower next to it
I still have a few improvements I want to add but since it's past the #AGBICjam's deadline I figured I would post it here as well. Feel free to give feedback or suggestions for improvement.
A little Missile Command inspired game. Protect Planet I from invasion.
- Use arrow keys to move the cursor
- Shoot lasers from the planet's eye by pressing <z>
- Button mashing is encouraged, no limits, let loose!
In the slime pit there's no escape, only death!
Kill as many slimes as you can before they get you.
[x] to sword attack
[z] when the bar on top of the hero is full to explode all the slimes on screen
This is my first Pico-8 game, I started with a few other more ambitious ideas but I wanted to finalize something simpler and faster. Feedback is welcome. If there's interest I might expand on this idea in the future with more enemy types, boss fights, etc.