Be sure to check the change log to see what's new!
I really thought version .51 would be the last major version, but somehow I managed to scrape out every last token and add a few new features! That said, this WILL be the last major version, though I will still support the game post release.
Contra version .70
Special thanks go to ReeceGames for their contribution to the graphics work!
- Sprite edits to player, enemy, turret and shutter graphics to improve quality.
Contra version .68
Thanks to the PICO-8 Discord community for offering suggestions on how to trim down my code and how to improve the graphics, this update would not have been possible without them!
Turrets were completely rewritten, and can now track you in all 8 directions. They are still quick, but they have a limited range of motion...
Fire Weapon fully implemented! It's not the greatest for crowd control, but it is highly effective against
Soldier drones have been reworked. Only 3 drones can spawn at a time now (usually), they run a little slower, and any drone that goes for a dip will instantly drown...
Another pass on map and object graphics to improve detail and readability.
- It is no longer possible to soft lock the game by taking damage from two things at the same time.
Contra version .63
- Detail pass on map graphics
Contra version .62
Tweaks to sound effects playback to reduce clobbering
New explosion sound for turrets, shutters and cannons to help them stand out a little more and make blowing them up
just a little more satisfying.
- Adjusted collision so you can't scale the Base exterior
Contra version .61
- fixed cannons not clearing out after a game over.
Contra version .60
Turrets have been added. They have pretty good servos, so don't think you can slip past them so
easily. A healthy dose of gunfire ought to short their circuits.
- The boss now has some defenses in two cannons. They just kind of spew bullets on the ground, but they are still
lethal. Blow them up if they are bugging you.
Contra version .51
- Changed powerup collision so they pass through semi-solid platforms correctly
- The first Rapid and Machine Gun powerups have switched places.
Contra version .50
- Boss has been added. There are no defenses for it, but he did finally show up.
- Runner enemy type has been added. They move fast, so you have to be on your toes. At least they are easy to kill...
- Powerup shutters fully implemented. Shoot them to receive an item!
- Victory state implemented.
Contra version .30
- Capsules are fully implemented! they can be shot for a powerup, and I have sprinkled a few through the level
- Powerup behavior is implemented. Available powerups are: Machine gun, Spread, Fire, Laser and Rapid Shot
- Machine gun fires in full auto, like a Machine gun should!
- Collect Rapid Shot to nearly double the speed of your bullets!
- Sound and partial graphics in place for all weapons
- Adjustments made to some sound effects
- Minor changes to title music
Contra version .25
- Phase one of capsules added. You can't shoot them yet, but if you press ⬆️ and 🅾️ one will spawn from Bill's location.
I also have one capsule setup to spawn in as a script
- Initial work on items started
- Initial work on spread gun started.
- Small explosions added. Press ⬆️ and ❎ to make a capsule go boom!
Contra Version .22
- Adjusted wipe speed to more closely match the NES version
- Map filled out with initial artwork
- Player spawn delay now consistent
- Code commented out a little more, and formatting changes
- Minor alterations to music
Contra version .2
- Submitted to BBS
Here is my "One Level Concept" Demake of Contra for PICO-8!
I would just like to say that I absolutely love developing on this platform. The tools are fun to use, and the sheer number of resources available for learning the ropes are... humbling.. to say the least.
On the note of resources, I feel like I should give a shout out to Nerdy Teachers and the PICO-8 fanzines for giving me a good idea of where to start, and to doc_robs for taking everything a step further! I am sure if you take one look at my code you will see their examples being put to good use.
At any rate, I've set out to create at least the first level from Contra on NES. I still have a little way to go, but I felt that I had reached a few major milestones, and would like to share with everyone what I've been up to...
That said, I have absolute ZERO coding experience, so please keep that in mind when you stare in disbelief at my code, although I am absolutely open to feedback.
Enough about that! Let's get down to the nitty gritty...
- Press ⬅️ to move left
- Press ➡️ to move right
- Press ⬇️ to go prone
- ❎ will make you jump
- 🅾️ will fire your weapon
More detailed controls in the spoiler...
You can fire in all 8 directions! Simply press the desired direction and ol' Bill Rizer will make it so.
If you go prone on a floating platform and press the Jump button he will drop down!
(That part took me FOREVER to figure out) Note that this will not work on the bridge...
If you go prone while in water you can dive under. Your gun can't fire, though...
If you just run off a ledge, you can't immediately change direction. So if you run right off a cliff don't say I
didn't warn you. Jumping allows FAR more control.
Those are all the controls you need to know!
What is here:
Player movement is fully implemented. I will certainly have to tweak a few things, but everything works as
Death and lives
The Pea shooter, Machine gun and Fire are fully implemented.
The first stage layout.
Items, capsules, Shutters and small explosions.
A soldier drone that runs fast and can juke you if he catches you on a platform.
- Side mounted Turrets that track you
The Boss, and some meager defenses.
Victory state when you blow him up...
Title, Game and Game over states are in place and working.
Ending since I have reached the token limit.
- Music and sound effects are in place. My musical ear is a little out of tune, and my rhythm is near non-existent,
so please let me know if you catch anything while listening to it.
What was planned:
More weapons! Preferably all of them had I enough room: Machine gun, Spread, Fire and Laser!
(Machine gun and Fire implemented!)
Enemies. well, duh... right? You gotta have enemies that you can attack aggressively!
- Gun emplacements that pop up from the ground
- More advanced soldiers that remembered they had a pistol...
- Standing soldiers that fire at you from a stationary position
- Soldiers that appear from behind the brush
For the love of all that is not mayonnaise, go ape on this thing! I'd like for you guys to twist and bend and
faniggle until either the game breaks, or you do. If you do manage to make the game buckle in some interesting or
hilarious way PLEASE tell me all about it, and be sure to post a screenshot if you did something truly horrific.
Here is what I have found so far:
Right now I have the Capsules set to spawn when the camera is within certain X and Y positions. If you stand in just the right spot a stream of capsules will spawn.
There is an issue with firing your gun while jumping out of water that causes Bill's top half to begin cycling
through all the sprites. I haven't quite pinned down what is causing that, or how to replicate it reliably.
Sometimes when you die, instead of showing the sprite of Bill l
ying on the ground, it shows him prone.
If you press ⬇️ and ⬅️ or ➡️ while jumping, Bill will go prone for 1 frame.
Not necessarily a bug, but I am still figuring out how to make the map longer than what is allowed.
For now, there is a jarring snap to position when you cross into the second half of the stage.
The area directly underneath what has been built has some garbage just below the screen in the map editor due
the whole sprite bank/map bank "Sharing" thing. PICO-8 counts these areas as collision, and Bill will land on it if
he dies. (Maybe mitigated since the whole map is now laid out.)
- The title screen shows for a moment before doing its thing if you arrive from the Continue, ending or Game over screen.
Final Words and Thanks!
So... why are you doing this, again?
I am a humungous video game nerd!
I love playing them, I love looking at them, I love listening to them!
I've wanted to make them for some time now, and I have tried several platforms but I always ran into some hang up or other, but When I first discovered PICO-8 last year I instantly fell in love! Seriously, this thing is so easy to use. My creativity can just... flow, and I love Pico-8 for that!
While I played around with other people's games for awhile I brainstormed, and Contra just kept pushing it's way forward. I began to think about how Bill Rizer would look as an 8 x 8 sprite and began drawing. I finished a first draft of his standing pose and thought, "Dude... this could work. I could do this". One could gesture wildly at an NES with both hands while shouting, "You want Contra? Here it is! the work is done, just play it here". To that I would point at PICO-8 and say "Yes, but I made this."
In addition to the kudos mentioned at the top of my post,