Log In  

I was getting to grips with SSPR(), and whipped up something resembling a title screen for a...game???

I had so much fun just THRASHING that SSPR() command here! I'm aware SSPR() existed on Pico-8
as well, but this was just me messing with it, and since I made something resembling Contra on
Pico-8, I figured why not tease "something what could be..." while I'm at it?

Let me know what you think!

Cart #contra3-0 | 2024-03-27 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#144632 2024-03-27 05:57


After spending a night thrashing with sspr() myself, thanks for finding a solution!

P#144665 2024-03-27 11:26

To be honest, SSPR is the only way I know of right now to cut specific sprites out of an atlas for use. Besides, Contra 3 is always a good solution!

P#144676 2024-03-27 12:35 ( Edited 2024-03-27 12:35)

do you even need to use SSPR if you just define sprite sizes to be what you need? I'm working on a pico-8 conversion and turned a single empty tile into a 128x128 title screen and just used spr()

P#145608 2024-04-03 20:13 ( Edited 2024-04-03 20:13)

@arrowonionbelly You're right that you can use SPR to just draw an entire X by X tile number to the screen, but this isn't what I wanted to do, necessarily.

My characters are stored in one atlas (my word for these instead of tiles), and my title elements in another. SSPR was the way I found to specify differing coordinates to pull specific sprites from an atlas. I did initially try to do this with SPR but I ran into issues, mainly in trying to figure out how to specify which atlas to use, as well as where to point. I was used to pico 8s style where you specify the sprite number from the list, etc, and everything is completely different in picotron.

Lastly, I was trying out some space saving techniques i.e grouping multiple relevant objects in one atlas, etc etc. That is why I used small images and scaled them up. It doesn't look the greatest, but I learned quite a lot from this approach.

Thinking about it, it may just be a case of an incomplete implementation. I'm not sure if this approach would work for a game character, for example. Or if it could work it may not be feasible, or practicle, vs the old way of simply stating a sprite number. Maybe more tools are on the way to simplify sprites?

P#146347 2024-04-11 09:44 ( Edited 2024-04-11 09:45)

Are you saying all of your character sprites were stored on the same tile, and sspr just locates the coordinates on that? Is that like a Sprite sheet inside of a Sprite sheet?

P#146349 2024-04-11 10:43


That's right! Sprite tiles can be custom sizes in picotron, not only 8x8.

Here is the atlas for my (Not) Bill Ryzer and Lance Bean sprites, for example, with the atlas dimensions included.

P#146354 2024-04-11 12:07 ( Edited 2024-04-11 14:14)
P#146363 2024-04-11 14:02

@arrowonionbelly Yeah...

I found this out when I tried bringing my old contra one level demake over. I pasted my sprites from pico 8 and was totally confused when it only took one tile.

It probably would have worked if I had pasted them one by one or something, but I didn't feel like doing that. XD

Like I said, I already learned quite a lot! Who knows, though... these are alpha tools. I might be learning bad habits.

P#146364 2024-04-11 14:17

[Please log in to post a comment]