Looks like I finally made something with voxelspace terrain recent studies https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=35654
This Race The Sun partial demake is my first entry to #TweetTweetJam N°3, in Pico8 with a 560 characters limit !
You must go as far as possible, with no sun :D
Use < / > arrow to move your ship
Ctrl + R to restart after crashing
Good luck and have fun !
At first, I saw a demo where a student implement a voxelspace algorithm with compute shaders. Voxelspace is a tech invented in the '90s by Kyle Freeman at Novalogic to render landscape. Games like Comanche, Deltaforce used it. It was based on heightmap and voxels, not polygon. I don't know much about shaders, but I know it is better at rendering polygons. So... I try to understand how all this work and here is the result: my voxelspace implementation on Pico 8
With freds72 optimization
Here is an implementation of voxelspace rendering algorithm, with a little perlin noise map generation. Features :
- Generate a 128x128 height map in memory,
- Generate a color map base on height with some noise (I could also use height difference to better show cliffs and flat grounds, maybe latter),
- colors fadding with distance
- We can move, with player one controls, zoom map with X (or M), strafe with player 2 left and right (s,f)
I don't know where it will go, or if it will become a game, but here is my work :D Have fun tweaking or exploring !
for a more advance experience, you can check electricgryphon work https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=10844
you must help the bank collect the credchips by shooting the baddies and survive 9 days ! Beware some people are not as they seem to be at first !
Controls - keyboard or gamepad :
Use arrows to shoot left center or right
Use button 1 (x) or 2 (c) to change the doors you are looking
Behind the scene
This project was less complicated than Brutal Pico Race, I designed it to work with my kids... But actually, it was way too complicated for my little beginners, and they gave up after coding the open/close system for the doors :D It is also why there is a lot of functions in french. They came back for beta testing !
I keep some interesting parts for myself, such as the plasma doors, using the PX8 compression and a coroutine queue to load people graphics at runtime, a bunch of sprite picked up randomly to build the people, and little hidden surprises on the intro scene to reflect how far you went in the game !
Once again, great thanks to the pico 8 community !
Have fun !
Choose one ship out of three class, choose a track and try to finish first ! You can also challenge a friend, alone or with AI, in split-screen mode !
Brutal Pico Race features :
Single player or two players in splitscreen
- 3 class of ships -heavy -normal -light with different speed curve
- 3 tracks
- 3 AI levels
Controls - keyboard or gamepad :
Use arrows to choose your ship / track / AI level
Z/C/N to start
When 2 players is selected, the second player can choose his own ship directly with S/F
- steering : arrow LEFT, arrow RIGHT
- accelerate Z/C/N, break V/X/M
- boost arrow UP
- steering : S, F
- accelerate TAB/Z, brake Q
- boost E
- up/down to see the other ships running
Great thanks to the pico 8 community (Zep, @p01, @FSouchu, @Felice_Enellen, Morgan...), all the followers who help me on the project ! And many thanks to my wife and children for the playtests and ships/tracks contribution !
If you like this game, don't hesitate to support it ! This will help me doing more ;)
- We can finally die !
- Fix live rank
- Fix a bug where boost had not influence on centrifugal force, so now be carefull with boost spamming !
- Add chronometer and timeboard (best race time per track and per AI skill)
- Add 3 tracks
- Add a 2 channels music for single player race
- Add controls helps
- Adaptive difficulty on boost, AI use less often boost when you're last or 3rd
- Change ship names
- Increase difficulty
- 3 kinds of bots
- Better end screen
- Changing camera after race
- Other ship progress on left
- Cooldown for ships collision damage
- Changing track loader, room for 3 new tracks
- Better boost visual fx
- Fix boost sound fx in splitscreen
- Change morgan3d heapsort with triplefox's shellsort
- first public
- Changed rasterizer for @p01
- Initial version