Follow
dhostin

Hey !

You may have already heard about virtual sprite from Poom devlog ( @freds72) and one high memory implementation from @pancelor. Here is my take.

Cart #vsprbench-3 | 2022-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

As a reminder, the principle of virtual sprite is to have a kind of "palette of sprite" which allow to draw more sprite than the 256 native built-in ones.

The cartridge contains 4 PX9 compressed spritesheet that are unpacked when the cartridge boot. Then a bunch of benchmark are launched to test the LRU Cache with differents configurations.

Implementation overview

I implement two types of LRU cache and a benchmark to challenge implementations. With LRU cache, the oldest sprite are replaced by the new ones when cache is full. Easier to say than to do ! To keep track of sprite age, I use an queue, implemented with LUA tables.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

6 comments

Cart #racenosun_560-0 | 2019-11-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Looks like I finally made something with voxelspace terrain recent studies https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=35654

This Race The Sun partial demake is my first entry to #TweetTweetJam N°3, in Pico8 with a 560 characters limit !

The Goal

You must go as far as possible, with no sun :D

Controls

Use < / > arrow to move your ship

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

At first, I saw a demo where a student implement a voxelspace algorithm with compute shaders. Voxelspace is a tech invented in the '90s by Kyle Freeman at Novalogic to render landscape. Games like Comanche, Deltaforce used it. It was based on heightmap and voxels, not polygon. I don't know much about shaders, but I know it is better at rendering polygons. So... I try to understand how all this work and here is the result: my voxelspace implementation on Pico 8

With freds72 optimization

Cart #voxelspace_ykk-2 | 2019-10-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

first release
Cart #voxelspace_ykk-1 | 2019-10-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

Cart #picocyberbank_100-3 | 2019-04-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PicoCyberbank is a cyberpunk remake of West Bank / Bank Panic by Damien Hostin, on twitter yourykiki (The Lurking Engine)

Goal :

you must help the bank collect the credchips by shooting the baddies and survive 9 days ! Beware some people are not as they seem to be at first !

Controls - keyboard or gamepad :

Use arrows to shoot left center or right
Use button 1 (x) or 2 (c) to change the doors you are looking

Behind the scene

This project was less complicated than Brutal Pico Race, I designed it to work with my kids... But actually, it was way too complicated for my little beginners, and they gave up after coding the open/close system for the doors :D It is also why there is a lot of functions in french. They came back for beta testing !

I keep some interesting parts for myself, such as the plasma doors, using the PX8 compression and a coroutine queue to load people graphics at runtime, a bunch of sprite picked up randomly to build the people, and little hidden surprises on the intro scene to reflect how far you went in the game !

Once again, great thanks to the pico 8 community !

Have fun !

5 comments

Cart #brutalpicorace_104-0 | 2020-07-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Brutal Pico Race is a fast and raw futurist racing game on Pico8 by me, Damien Hostin, on twitter yourykiki (The Lurking Engine)

I wrote a little insight on my blog in two parts, you can find it here and here

Choose one ship out of three class, choose a track and try to finish first ! You can also challenge a friend, alone or with AI, in split-screen mode !
Brutal Pico Race features :

Single player or two players in splitscreen

[ Continue Reading.. ]

31 comments