I was playing with some 3D rendering stuff and ended up making a tennis game.
Play against AI or with up to 4 players.
Z to hit the ball. To hit the ball in different directions you need to hit it when it's off to your side. So the further to your right the ball is when you hit it the more it will go left.
X to do a power shot. Whenever you return the ball during a rally you will build up power. You can do a power shot anytime you have power in your meter, but the more it builds up the faster your shot will be.
- As per Felice's comment I changed the display when a point is scored to make it easier to understand. It will now display PLAYER 1 POINT in blue. There's is also a message above that in orange for things like OUT or FAULT etc.
- Also adjusted the service so hitting a fault isn't unpredictable. Now the only way you should get a fault is if you over angle the ball (by moving sideways after you've thrown the ball, but before you hit it)
- Corrected the range from which you can hit the ball because it was WAY too far.
- Readjusted the hit distance to be a little more forgiving. Still not a broad as it was in the early version.
- Power shots are now a bit easier to direct. I was previously culled the angle on them a bit too much to account for the extra speed.
- Made a slight change so the AI isn't quite so strong. Basically just dumbed it down a bit more. I'd need to add some more advanced logic to make it more fun to play against. I've managed to get about 300 tokens, so I might look into it if I have time.
This is my first attempt at using PICO-8. I'm pretty impressed with how quick and easy it is.
The code's a bit messy because I didn't really know what I was building at first, and I've never used lua before.