Follow
kimiyoribaka
Follow

A secluded wanderer amongst the various game engines and programming languages, with a major interest in breaking game engines with game projects they weren't meant for.

Cart #tayohuzabe-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm considering making an adventure game with fullscreen backgrounds stored as sets of instructions for drawing, so I tried making a flood fill algorithm in the scanline variety, but found it to be rather slow. Even after fiddling with methods, such as wasting memory to avoid management and making the algorithm twice as long to avoid ever checking a pixel twice, I could only get it down to %128 cpu usage for the test case. Most optimizations I tried saved less than %1 cpu. If told to fill the entire screen, it goes even further up to %267 cpu.

It's definitely fast enough for drawing images that don't need redrawing every frame, but it'd be nice if it were fast enough for real time usage. Anyone know a way to make it faster?

P#79841 2020-07-24 10:44

Cart #jinujuyufo-1 | 2020-07-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

"Basement" is an exploration-based platformer in which the main threat is fall damage and the main challenge is finding safe paths through each section. I consider the quotation marks as part of the title. The game takes place in the caverns underneath a magical castle and includes several interconnected areas which can be explored in various orders. In addition, there are extra things to find that result in bonus dialogue.

I tried to design the game in such a way as to not need to explain how anything works. In addition, the difficulty curve is based on the idea of harder sections being harder to find. The ways to get to areas other than the first one all require some trick that the player can learn in a different area, thus forming a progression that is intended to be similar to a metroidvania, but with the upgrades occurring in the player rather than the player character.

I would estimate about an hour to finish, with the minimum playtime being as low as 10 minutes. Just in case, though, there is a save system.

Edit:
Okay, a friend of my just tried playing this on an xbox controller. It turns out that playing on analog causes down to be triggered when it doesn't feel like it should. This screws up the ledge grab mechanic, because down is set to let go of the ledge. If you play on controller, I recommend grabbing ledges by holding the stick a little upward.

P#79592 2020-07-19 05:37 ( Edited 2020-07-26 04:39)

I'm currently working on a game that uses strings to store maps, switching them out on the fly. I noticed during debugging that I'd forgotten to flag some of the sprites as walls, so I stopped the run to go fix that, then tried to resume. Upon using the "resume" command, I found the map had reverted to the one I currently have as default.

I put this in the "bugs" category because I didn't see a more appropriate one. I'm not sure if this is something that should be changed. However, it's not mentioned in the manual, nor on the wiki, and I think it should be mentioned in both.

If not too difficult, it would also be useful to allow specifying what behavior "resume" should have.

P#79562 2020-07-18 14:08

Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2020-11-28 13:26 | 0.104s | 4194k | Q:43