Follow
Spaz48

Just a blue awkward fluff dragon that talks too much and doesn't really have a control on his ambitions. I normally go by Azure. If I said something stupid, I'm sorry, and if it was a while ago, I'm probably less stupid now.

[ :: Read More :: ]

I've recently set up a proper PICO-8 handheld for myself, and I've run into a bit of an issue with games purchased from Itch.io and etc. A lot don't supply a Raspi build, and for those that do, it'd be a little bit of a hassle getting them to work when you've got a closed setup without a desktop. Sure, most of those carts are also on the BBS, but there's a fair few that aren't. Plus, either way, it feels slightly nicer to use the version you paid for.

It'd be nice to be able to run these carts in regular P8, with the editor and save commands locked off, or having to load the .pod via the command line in the first place so the editor isn't even loaded. It would also have the added benefit of making multicart games a single file, which could be really convenient for a lot of setups. It'd also have the benefit of making any exported carts playable on other platforms down the line, say if P8 gets a native mobile version.

People seem to most often not supply a p8.png as security, in a way. Not wanting others to see / mess with your code, or otherwise play your game for free if it's paid only. Which I personally fully respect, but I'm sure some may disagree. Thus why I feel locking them to read-only is necessary.

@zep

P#100021 2021-11-13 03:43

I've noticed, that, in general, nobody seems to be able to agree which button is "A", and which button is "B". This leads to some annoyances. One cart, X is jump, O is attack or etc. You get used to that, and then you go to another, and they chose O for jump instead.

It would be nice to have a simple way of swapping the buttons around, perhaps as an item in the pause menu? Some carts already have their own, though, so that may cause some confusion. Maybe make it disabled by default? It'd also be nice to be able to have it remember if you chose to swap buttons or not per-cart, so that you don't have to every time you start it up.

P#85660 2020-12-22 09:38

Cart #spaz48_fox-1 | 2020-02-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

So, here's the main thing I've been working on since I posted VVVVVV Moonfall. I've been a lot more relaxed with it, and I've been taking measures to not write total spaghetti code, and some of it's even commented. In all, I'm really proud of how this has been coming together. The camera needs work, as does some little aspects of the movement, and some things need tweaking, but I'll get to all of that eventually.

For now, I've decided to post this mainly because I'm kind of exhausted creatively, and don't really know where to go next. So I'm gonna be taking a break from it, and probably from Pico-8 too. (making carts, at least.) I've been spending almost all of my free time lately on it, and I feel like that's kind of been sucking the life out of me, among other things. Anyway, enough about me.

So I'm not sure what to call this, and I'm not sure where it's going either. I've had a few ideas, but it all needs more thought. It was first going to be an attempt at a 2D collectathon, then I wanted it to be a metroidvania, now I've just kind of accepted I don't really know where it's going and I'm hoping I'll think of something while I'm taking a break from it. Really, I've been most focused on making everything feel good and getting the mechanics I've already decided on feeling as solid as possible. Plus probably more polish than I should be trying to put in at this point, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and that's kinda just how I am sometimes. Also, the background is a placeholder, so don't worry about it maybe looking a little...familiar.

I started this I think about a day or two after submitting Moonfall, and this uses the collision code from that, but nothing else. Everything here is my own code, from the parallax scrolling to the particle system, anything that isn't Pico-8 default here is my own, besides two lines for a cpu and memory counter I took from the wiki. The spritework is also my own, and so is the music. I'm sure I don't need to say all of this, but I'm just making sure.

Anyway, there isn't exactly much content here, as it's just a test map with some placeholder enemies that don't even move, but I'm really happy with what I've got so far and I hope you like it, too.

Controls:

• Z/O: Jump
  • Z/O in air: Double jump
  • Z/O + Left or Right when against a wall: Wall Jump
  • X: Attack
P#72883 2020-02-07 18:33

Cart #spaz48_tetyis-2 | 2020-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(Update 1.01: Fixed a bug that caused an out of memory error with particles disabled. Thanks to @dw817 for finding it!)

So, here it is, my first ever fully completed cart. I have a real bad habit of starting lots of things and never finishing them, and this was destined to be just another one of those things. I started work on this about a month or two ago, and did most of the work back then. I decided I needed a bit of a break from my current project and thought, hey, why don't I go back and finish this?

I've learned a lot since then, and generally improved a bunch, so most of this code is a mess, and doesn't use things it really should like objects, but, everything functions well enough at least. It's super unoptimized though, mostly because I was under the assumption there was no CPU limitations in Pico-8, and going back to finish it up, I didn't really bother fixing that. The particle system is my own, written for the main cart I've been working on, but the background previously was a stolen tweetcart (the function was even called "stolentweetcart()") I was using as a placeholder. It was distracting anyway, so I replaced it with the particles and used them to make a few other things nicer as well.

The main goal here was to make it compliant to the 2009 Tetris guideline (a big document the Tetris company uses that says exactly how a Tetris game should be made) though I disregarded that going back to it, so it's halfway or so there. Also, SRS isn't implemented properly, it's good enough but it's not perfect, and the title is a typo I thought was funny so I rolled with it.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, hope you enjoy!

Controls:

• Z, X: Rotate
  • Z+X: Hold
  • Up: Hard drop
  • Down: Soft drop
  • Left, Right: Move
P#72731 2020-02-04 21:05 ( Edited 2020-02-06 09:22)

Cart #spaz48_vvvvvvmoonfall_08-0 | 2020-01-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Okay so, first off, hello! I'm new here. I'm also bad with publicly posting stuff like this, let alone in a community i'm new to, so sorry if I made any mistakes.

Second, this was made for the "VVVVVV's 10th birthday eVVVVVVent!" jam as a tribute to VVVVVV and it'll be up there with a more thorough explanation soon after I post this. https://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/11759 The jam deadline is in a few days and that started to stress me out a little so I just decided to submit it as-is and stop worrying about it.

Third, this is a mess. I'm not too competent when it comes to coding and I rarely ever comment anything unless I'm commenting out code. I'm sure it's not quite as bad as I think it is, but regardless I know under the hood it's a bit of a disaster. This is unfinished, and probably will never be finished, but who knows if I'll decide to come back to it or not.

It goes up to Space Station 1 and a few rooms of the Lab, then some miscellaneous rooms showing off other things I had done as well as a Veni, Vidi, Vici knockoff. Constructive criticism is appreciated although I'm aware of a lot of its shortcomings already. Hopefully, at least the bit of it that's finished is good.

P#72294 2020-01-27 15:32

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 18:13:00 | 0.070s | Q:21