My first PICO-8/ Any game project!!
Heyo!! I would like to start by saying Im BRAND NEW HERE! So. Apologies if this is horrible :O
Firstly: credit where credit is due: Thank you user Gruber for letting the community use his music in our experiments!
- Pico 8 Page: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=11292
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/gruber_music
(hes super cool - 100% check him out!)
I had fun making it and found that you could publish it and I thought that'd make it easier to have my friends give it a try and provide feedback while having the community chime in as well.
Im pretty awkward with the whole publishing thing - so be nice? :P
I tried to acquaint myself in using objects and properties and tried my best to structure the code well!!
I'm open to any criticism and any recommendations or suggestions!!
I'm still hoping to incorporate more features like-
- Timers for the spl. effects
- Enemy AI ships
Movement : Arrow Keys
- You spawn with 3 hearts.
- Asteroids have a health of 3 so they take 3 hits to get destroyed!
- The asteroid Spawnrate is a function of the Score so the game gets... harder?
- You can pick up certain orbs to enhance the ship
- Pink / Yellow - 20% Spawn rate allowing you to 1 Hit the asteroids
- Blue - Enables player with a shield.
- Heart - Adds a Heart!
Update Mechanics -
- The shield and bullet upgrades now have a decay with a visual timer!
- The enemy ships have a basic AI - they move from end to end on their axis and shoot whenyoure at a range of their line of sight
- The enemy ships also spawn one every 30 seconds with -
1) random health so it can take anywhere from 3-10 normal bullets to destroy.
2) random speeds
Updates : 1.0
1) Fixed an underlying bug that wouldn't randomise the speed and inclination of the asteroids per asteroid.
2) Added a Decay to the special shield and bullet effects.
3) Added Music IN GAME.
4) Changed the effects of the shield to now have INVULNERABILITY! rather than to tank 1 hit (which is what the heart does anyway :P)
5) I forgot to give credit earlier so this post and the game will now include Credits to the person who was amazing enough to have developers use their music!
Updates : 2.0
1) Added in the enemy space ships and the accompanieng simple AI to shoot in Line of sight and move along their axis.
2) Cleaned up code and weeded out tiny errors.
3) some new sound effects.
4) Slightly redid the point system.
P.S - I enjoyed working with and learning to use PICO-8 and/or LUA? :P