A Feature Request for the PICO8-Users out there which use a Handheld (like Anbernic RG351P/M/V) to play PICO8-Games:
Normally, you can start every Cartridge directly using "-run" in the Command Line:
pico8 -run some_cartridge.p8
On Handheld-Devices, that's great, because you can Pause and Shutdown PICO8 with the given Controls.
HOWEVER: I was able to run a Cartridge that "crashed" PICO8 (means it shows some Lua-Errors and the Program stops running). But after that Crash, PICO8 doesn't quit, instead it throws me into the Command line, like:
But that's not good if that happens on a Handheld, because you have no opportunity now to close PICO8 without a Keyboard (or something hacky like SSH etc.). After that, I have no other choice than Poweroff that Handheld and hoping that the Filesystem on the SD-Card don't get corrupted.
Krystman made an excellent Game called Porklike, you can find it here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=94445
I made a mod to this game which adds a german translation to it. Right after the Game starts, you'll be asked on which language you want to play.
I would've liked to add some more Functionality (like, a menuitem), but there wasn't enough tokens left to do so^^.
Here's the Mod:
- Oops, the last Patch didn't fix anything ("save @clip" seems to work a little different...). Now THIS Patch does what the previous Patch describes^^.
- "Slap" ("Ohrfeige") was mistakenly described as a Weapon that doesn't deal Damage. Fixed.
- Forgot ":" after "Wurstchain"/"Wurstkette", which looks odd after finishing the Game ("Wurstchain1"). Fixed.
- Somehow I didn't realised that the "Push"-Attack ("Stoß") is actually a ranged attack (though even the Original Text says that. Oops!). The German Description in the first Version doesn't tell you that, this Version does^^.
- First release.
What and how did I changed on the code?
- I have to make spaces for more Tokens, because the Original-Game has only 22 tokens left. Luckily, zep released a PICO8-Version that includes the "split"-command. Krystman used two Functions called "explode" and "explodeval" who does the same, so I replaced every "explode" with "split" and deleted these two Functions. After that, ~100 Tokens were here to use.
- After that, there still wasn't enough tokens left for me, so I removed every "()" that weren't needed (like, split("XYZ") --> split"XYZ".
- I want to use "german umlauts" (äöüß) on the Game, so I used the new ability to change the Fonts in PICO8. zep made a Cart for it: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41544
- I also slightly modified the UI on the Game to have spaces for the translated words. German translations need more place^^.
- There's a place in the Code where I used a "mid"-command, to prevent showed text Off-Screen.
- An obvious one: Every word was put in a table, and every "print"-command uses the table. Easy^^.
- There are a few Codes that are written like this in the Original Game:
add (x, y) return y
I had to change it on one or two places in the code ("return add..."), to squeeze a few more tokens out of the File.
I really hope that I didn't write a few bugs on accident. I played this changed Cartridge a few times and never found a bug. (But I never reached the end, because I'm too bad in this Game^^).
In the 0.2.2 release, zep made a small tool for creating custom fonts:
I'd like to just slightly modify the Original-Font that provides PICO-8 by itself. I thought I could find an easy way to implement the Original-Font into the Spritesheet... But it seems there's no easy way to do so? And nobody did this before? So I decided to modify the Spritesheet, include the Original-Chars with it.
It SHOULD be the Original-Chars; if you find an error (misplaced Pixel or something like that), feel free to tell me so I can fix this :) .
While running PICO-8, type
to load the newest Version of the Cartridge.
EDIT: Of course, feel free to use it as you like^^.
- Just forgotten to capture the Label.
- "U" was wrong; fixed.
Hi @ all,
I like those old "Oddworld"-Games ("Abe's Oddyssey" and "Abe's Exoddus"). Just experimenting with a "Gamespeak"-like Control:
Absolutely nothing is finished, just the Gamespeak, Collision and the Animation works. No Gameplay so far.
For Gamespeak, hold Z and
RIGHT: "Follow Me"
I really want to make an Oddworld-like Demake, but I can't promise anything^^. I'll try to work on that Project^^...
Entry for the One Hour Game Jam 297th, Theme: Follow.
A Shadow is following you, and you need to reach the Goal. Your Shadow(s) also need to reach a Goal.
It took me four Hours instead of only one to make this Cart. It would be dishonest to other Jammers if I would hide that fact^^.
I like the Idea, maybe I'll work on some more Levels and a better presentation, but I really don't know atm^^.
Mea's Castle is a Metroidvania-like Game: You're a little Adventurer and your Goal is to find the "Cup of Hope". You can run and jump, and soon you will find some Artifacts that'll give you more Abilities.
🠔🠖 - Move
🠗 + 🠔🠖 - Crouch
(Z) - Jump
(X) + 🠗 - Use the last Powerup
This Game is difficult. If you're not a Fan of Jump'n Run-like Games, I think it will be too frustrating^^. There are still Checkpoints basically everywhere, but it's still not easy to beat that Game. Expect to die a lot while playing this^^.
- @Gruber for the Music "Eyes in the Dark" and "Flight of Icarus" (both with slight Remixes) from Pico-8 Tunes Volume 2 .
- Youtuber Dev Quest and his Video Efficient Tilesets in Pico-8 Tutorial
- @Krystman for his Cartridge "Sample Code: Screenshake and Fading" and all the other Videos and Tutorials.
- Youtuber hh7x6 and his Speedrun-Video.
- Of course: Thanks to you for playing! :)
Also, if you like to cheat, you can use
Reset the Cartridge (P -> Reset Cart) and do this:
If you did it right, you'll hear a slightly different Sound.
Also, here's the Map of the Game. Altough I'm not sure if it's that useful here^^:
Start-Position is where the Map says "Hi":
Hope you'll have Fun with that little Game^^.
New in v1.08a
- Fixed "Slide Down"-Animation facing on wrong Direction, Thanks to Some1NamedNate for finding out that bug!
New in v1.08
- Just some more graphical stuff: Little changes on Titlescreen and Checkpoints. There's also a Checkpoint-Animation if the Player dies.
- Also I like the idea that the Castle looks more and more "holey" the more Powerups the Player has. Just a subtle Change in the mood I guess^^.
- Checkpoints will now always been activated, even while the last Powerup is activated.
New in v1.07
- Graphical Overhaul. Smooth Walls, Ceilings and so on, Thanks to Youtuber "Dev Quest" and his Tutorial!
- Screen-Fades everywhere, Thanks to Krystman for his Code on the "Code Snippets"-Section!
- Particle-Effects on Enemies and Bullets.
- Particle-Effects and Sounds when Player slides down on green Walls.
- Menu-Sounds, not just the Music alone.
- Changed and added Dust-Animation for the Player.
New in v1.06
- Fixed a Bug where the Game could freeze after leaving a Room near a "Door"-Tile. Thanks to MacadamiaMan for finding that Bug.
- Fixed a Bug where the Game could freeze while using a treadmill.
New in v1.05
- Added Coyote-Jump (you can still jump after running off the ledge, for a few extra frames). I really wanted to add that^^.
- Wallslide-Animation only if the Player slides down.
New in v1.04
- Performance-Update! Previous Versions uses around ~65% CPU-Usage all the time, is now reduced to ~30%. Now it's playable on slow Devices like a Raspberry Pi Zero.
New in v1.03:
- Fixed a Bug where the Player couldn't use a Wall Jump on certain circumstances.
New in v1.02
- Just forgotton to change the Title Screen^^.
New in v1.01
- Replaced the last Level; it really wasn't that good^^. Thanks to bigjus for the Feedback.
I doubt that's an intended behaviour: After running a Cart that's using the "FILLP"-Command, every Draw in the Sprite-Editor that includes Pencil or Shape (the last one; not shown in the GIF) also uses this pattern:
On 0.2.1B, it's possible to use "fillp(█)" (or simply reboot) to solve that Problem...
(I was working on a Game and tried to change a Sprite, and I wondered that I suddenly couldn't overwrite some Pixels in the Sprite anymore. I was like "what the Hell is going on there?" until I discovered that^^)
according from the Wiki-Page about Memory, it is unclear what a Poke to address 0x5f5e does, right?
0x5f5e-0x5f7f / 24414-24447 The remaining registers up to 0x5f7f are undocumented.
I was playing around a bit and found something out: It seems to "reduce" the Colors that can be used. For example, poking a "1" reduce the Palette to only 2 Colors, Black and Dark-Blue.
A simple Description: It seems that poking around 0x5f5e is some sort of "pal" all over the Color-Palette, but also prevents you to "pal" another Color. For Example: If you poke a "1", "pal" is limited to set a Color to blue or black only.
I just uploaded a Cartridge where you could play around with that:
I didn't found anything about that address in PICO-8, so I thought, it can be useful for others and like to share that^^. (I already imagine some sort of "Switch the Game from a NES-like-Palette to a GB-like-Palette", or something like that^^.)
Entry for the One Hour Game Jam, Theme: 4 Colors only.
Swap colors to avoid Enemies.
Very short, because I run out of time^^.
Just experiencing with an "Impossible Game"- or "Geometry Dash"-like Prototype. Basic Gameplay works, but every other Thing is unfinished at this point^^.
(English isn't my first Language, I hope it doesn't sound too bad, Sorry^^)
I was looking for a easy Solution to "modify" the Linux in my GPi Case to boot directly into PICO8. I don't want to use something like Retropie/Recalbox/Lakka, just a PICO8-Machine.
There was already a Project called PICOPI, which already assembled that. But it seems this Project doesn't exist anymore (Homepage is down; the Files I could find on archive.org doesn't seem to work anymore).
So I thought I write my own Script for this, which builds upon Raspbian, the Default-Linux-Distribution for Raspberry Pi (which builds upon GPi Case). I thought it could be useful for others, so I uploaded the Script^^.
While using this Script, you will be able to put your .p8-Files directly on the "boot"-Partition on the SD Card.
Script can be found on Github, including a Manual for using it:
EDIT: I also uploaded a Video on Youtube to show the Process:
Hey everybody! Just sharing a little Minesweeper-Clone that I've programmed^^.
Mouse is not required anymore, but you can use the Cartridge below if you wanna use the Mouse.
Controls for "Non-Mouse-Version":
- Arrow-Keys to move Cursor.
- Press and release X to open a Tile.
- Press and release O to mark a Tile (red or blue Flag).
- Hold X or O + Arrow-Keys to scroll.
And here the "Mouse-Version" of the Game:
IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that the "Mouse-Version" can be quite unplayable on Browsers. This Version of the Game runs best directly on PC, started by PICO8.
Controls for "Mouse-Version":
- Left-Click to open Field.
- Right-Click to mark Field with a red or blue Flag.
- Hold Middle-Click (or Arrow-Keys) to scroll.
- You can use O to simulate Left-Clicks, X for Right-Clicks.
Game should fully works as expected, hope I didn't forget anything^^.
A few GIFs:
Just playing on normal Difficulty:
Scrolling with Arrow-Keys and Mouse:
Showing "Custom"-Menu for own Width/Heigth/Mines:
Hope you enjoy!
- Mouse isn't required anymore; there are now two Cartridges: A "Non-Mouse-Version" and a "Mouse-Version".
- Added an Animation when opening a Tile.
- Added Sound when opening a few Tiles at once.
- Optimization (Tiles won't be drawed if outside the Screen)
- Every Difficulty can now be reached through Pause-Menu
One Hour Game Jam - Theme: Island (2018-09-15)
There is not much you can do here^^. Just walking around, cut trees, craft a wooden Sword and kill Monsters with it. Description reads alot better^^.
A little bit easier with less enemies:
Submit for the One Hour Game Jam 167,
Theme: That's not supposed to be a weapon.
View Older Posts