A Feature Request for the PICO8-Users out there which use a Handheld (like Anbernic RG351P/M/V) to play PICO8-Games:
Normally, you can start every Cartridge directly using "-run" in the Command Line:
pico8 -run some_cartridge.p8
On Handheld-Devices, that's great, because you can Pause and Shutdown PICO8 with the given Controls.
HOWEVER: I was able to run a Cartridge that "crashed" PICO8 (means it shows some Lua-Errors and the Program stops running). But after that Crash, PICO8 doesn't quit, instead it throws me into the Command line, like:
But that's not good if that happens on a Handheld, because you have no opportunity now to close PICO8 without a Keyboard (or something hacky like SSH etc.). After that, I have no other choice than Poweroff that Handheld and hoping that the Filesystem on the SD-Card don't get corrupted.
Krystman made an excellent Game called Porklike, you can find it here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=94445
I made a mod to this game which adds a german translation to it. Right after the Game starts, you'll be asked on which language you want to play.
I would've liked to add some more Functionality (like, a menuitem), but there wasn't enough tokens left to do so^^.
Here's the Mod:
- "Slap" ("Ohrfeige") was mistakenly described as a Weapon that doesn't deal Damage. Fixed.
- Forgot ":" after "Wurstchain"/"Wurstkette", which looks odd after finishing the Game ("Wurstchain1"). Fixed.
- Somehow I didn't realised that the "Push"-Attack ("Stoß") is actually a ranged attack (though even the Original Text says that. Oops!). The German Description in the first Version doesn't tell you that, this Version does^^.
- First release.
What and how did I changed on the code?
- I have to make spaces for more Tokens, because the Original-Game has only 22 tokens left. Luckily, zep released a PICO8-Version that includes the "split"-command. Krystman used two Functions called "explode" and "explodeval" who does the same, so I replaced every "explode" with "split" and deleted these two Functions. After that, ~100 Tokens were here to use.
- After that, there still wasn't enough tokens left for me, so I removed every "()" that weren't needed (like, split("XYZ") --> split"XYZ".
- I want to use "german umlauts" (äöüß) on the Game, so I used the new ability to change the Fonts in PICO8. zep made a Cart for it: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41544
- I also slightly modified the UI on the Game to have spaces for the translated words. German translations need more place^^.
- There's a place in the Code where I used a "mid"-command, to prevent showed text Off-Screen.
- An obvious one: Every word was put in a table, and every "print"-command uses the table. Easy^^.
- There are a few Codes that are written like this in the Original Game:
add (x, y) return y
I had to change it on one or two places in the code ("return add..."), to squeeze a few more tokens out of the File.
I really hope that I didn't write a few bugs on accident. I played this changed Cartridge a few times and never found a bug. (But I never reached the end, because I'm too bad in this Game^^).
In the 0.2.2 release, zep made a small tool for creating custom fonts:
I'd like to just slightly modify the Original-Font that provides PICO-8 by itself. I thought I could find an easy way to implement the Original-Font into the Spritesheet... But it seems there's no easy way to do so? And nobody did this before? So I decided to modify the Spritesheet, include the Original-Chars with it.
It SHOULD be the Original-Chars; if you find an error (misplaced Pixel or something like that), feel free to tell me so I can fix this :) .
While running PICO-8, type
to load the newest Version of the Cartridge.
EDIT: Of course, feel free to use it as you like^^.
- Just forgotten to capture the Label.
- "U" was wrong; fixed.
Hi @ all,
I like those old "Oddworld"-Games ("Abe's Oddyssey" and "Abe's Exoddus"). Just experimenting with a "Gamespeak"-like Control:
Absolutely nothing is finished, just the Gamespeak, Collision and the Animation works. No Gameplay so far.
For Gamespeak, hold Z and
RIGHT: "Follow Me"
I really want to make an Oddworld-like Demake, but I can't promise anything^^. I'll try to work on that Project^^...
Entry for the One Hour Game Jam 297th, Theme: Follow.
A Shadow is following you, and you need to reach the Goal. Your Shadow(s) also need to reach a Goal.
It took me four Hours instead of only one to make this Cart. It would be dishonest to other Jammers if I would hide that fact^^.
I like the Idea, maybe I'll work on some more Levels and a better presentation, but I really don't know atm^^.
Mea's Castle is a Metroidvania-like Game: You're a little Adventurer and your Goal is to find the "Cup of Hope". You can run and jump, and soon you will find some Artifacts that'll give you more Abilities.
This Game is difficult. If you're not a Fan of Jump'n Run-like Games, I think it will be too frustrating^^. There are still Checkpoints basically everywhere, but it's still not easy to beat that Game. Expect to die a lot while playing this^^.
I've also uploaded a play-through video just in case if you're stuck in the Game:
Also, if you like to cheat, you can use
Hope you'll have Fun with that little Game^^.
New in v1.06
- Fixed a Bug where the Game could freeze after leaving a Room near a "Door"-Tile. Thanks to MacadamiaMan for finding that Bug.
- Fixed a Bug where the Game could freeze while using a treadmill.
New in v1.05
- Added Coyote-Jump (you can still jump after running off the ledge, for a few extra frames). I really wanted to add that^^.
- Wallslide-Animation only if the Player slides down.
New in v1.04
- Performance-Update! Previous Versions uses around ~65% CPU-Usage all the time, is now reduced to ~30%. Now it's playable on slow Devices like a Raspberry Pi Zero.
New in v1.03:
- Fixed a Bug where the Player couldn't use a Wall Jump on certain circumstances.
New in v1.02
- Just forgotton to change the Title Screen^^.
New in v1.01
- Replaced the last Level; it really wasn't that good^^. Thanks to bigjus for the Feedback.
(including Dev-Releases, because I didn't keep track of that in the past, Sorry^^.)
Sort by newest to oldest:
I doubt that's an intended behaviour: After running a Cart that's using the "FILLP"-Command, every Draw in the Sprite-Editor that includes Pencil or Shape (the last one; not shown in the GIF) also uses this pattern:
On 0.2.1B, it's possible to use "fillp(█)" (or simply reboot) to solve that Problem...
(I was working on a Game and tried to change a Sprite, and I wondered that I suddenly couldn't overwrite some Pixels in the Sprite anymore. I was like "what the Hell is going on there?" until I discovered that^^)
according from the Wiki-Page about Memory, it is unclear what a Poke to address 0x5f5e does, right?
0x5f5e-0x5f7f / 24414-24447 The remaining registers up to 0x5f7f are undocumented.
I was playing around a bit and found something out: It seems to "reduce" the Colors that can be used. For example, poking a "1" reduce the Palette to only 2 Colors, Black and Dark-Blue.
A simple Description: It seems that poking around 0x5f5e is some sort of "pal" all over the Color-Palette, but also prevents you to "pal" another Color. For Example: If you poke a "1", "pal" is limited to set a Color to blue or black only.
I just uploaded a Cartridge where you could play around with that:
I didn't found anything about that address in PICO-8, so I thought, it can be useful for others and like to share that^^. (I already imagine some sort of "Switch the Game from a NES-like-Palette to a GB-like-Palette", or something like that^^.)
Entry for the One Hour Game Jam, Theme: 4 Colors only.
Swap colors to avoid Enemies.
Very short, because I run out of time^^.
Just experiencing with an "Impossible Game"- or "Geometry Dash"-like Prototype. Basic Gameplay works, but every other Thing is unfinished at this point^^.
(English isn't my first Language, I hope it doesn't sound too bad, Sorry^^)
I was looking for a easy Solution to "modify" the Linux in my GPi Case to boot directly into PICO8. I don't want to use something like Retropie/Recalbox/Lakka, just a PICO8-Machine.
There was already a Project called PICOPI, which already assembled that. But it seems this Project doesn't exist anymore (Homepage is down; the Files I could find on archive.org doesn't seem to work anymore).
So I thought I write my own Script for this, which builds upon Raspbian, the Default-Linux-Distribution for Raspberry Pi (which builds upon GPi Case). I thought it could be useful for others, so I uploaded the Script^^.
While using this Script, you will be able to put your .p8-Files directly on the "boot"-Partition on the SD Card.
Script can be found on Github, including a Manual for using it:
EDIT: I also uploaded a Video on Youtube to show the Process:
Hey everybody! Just sharing a little Minesweeper-Clone that I've programmed^^.
Mouse is not required anymore, but you can use the Cartridge below if you wanna use the Mouse.
Controls for "Non-Mouse-Version":
- Arrow-Keys to move Cursor.
- Press and release X to open a Tile.
- Press and release O to mark a Tile (red or blue Flag).
- Hold X or O + Arrow-Keys to scroll.
And here the "Mouse-Version" of the Game:
IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that the "Mouse-Version" can be quite unplayable on Browsers. This Version of the Game runs best directly on PC, started by PICO8.
Controls for "Mouse-Version":
- Left-Click to open Field.
- Right-Click to mark Field with a red or blue Flag.
- Hold Middle-Click (or Arrow-Keys) to scroll.
- You can use O to simulate Left-Clicks, X for Right-Clicks.
Game should fully works as expected, hope I didn't forget anything^^.
A few GIFs:
Just playing on normal Difficulty:
Scrolling with Arrow-Keys and Mouse:
Showing "Custom"-Menu for own Width/Heigth/Mines:
Hope you enjoy!
- Mouse isn't required anymore; there are now two Cartridges: A "Non-Mouse-Version" and a "Mouse-Version".
- Added an Animation when opening a Tile.
- Added Sound when opening a few Tiles at once.
- Optimization (Tiles won't be drawed if outside the Screen)
- Every Difficulty can now be reached through Pause-Menu
One Hour Game Jam - Theme: Island (2018-09-15)
There is not much you can do here^^. Just walking around, cut trees, craft a wooden Sword and kill Monsters with it. Description reads alot better^^.
A little bit easier with less enemies:
Submit for the One Hour Game Jam 167,
Theme: That's not supposed to be a weapon.
View Older Posts