I code in my sleep.
Enough about me. Here are some users with far more carts and snippets to check out:
enargy (hosts jams)
MBoffin (makes video tutorials)
Some sites to check out:
A one player bat and ball game in 560 bytes (by Pico-8's count).
(The code is of course not particulary readable or maintainable. A note of caution for people new to coding, this isn't a code style to emulate when you're starting out, and is done only to make the code size small.)
I'm reluctant to call it a Pong clone (in the exact in every detail sense) or remake because it doesn't try to look exactly like a previous version of Pong (or rather, I know some coders go a lot further in getting their carts to look and play exactly like one or another version), although it is of course derivative of Pong.
You are the right hand player; you control your bat with the up and down cursor-keys/d-pad-buttons.
- AI bat as second (left) player
- Random starting direction for ball
- Increasing ball speed after a number of bounces
- Bat speed increases with ball speed
- Limiter on AI bat speed so it is beatable
- Score display
- First to 3, wins
- Pauses at announcement of winner
- New game after winner announcement after non-d-pad button press
All in 560 bytes.
I don't code tweet(tweet)carts (a. I don't tweet. b. I add features. c. I like more readable code) but I decided to code a couple as a coding exercise.
(I keep thinking I've overlooked something. Let me know if I have. Thanks!)
Changing which SFX you are viewing does not always change which SFX is edited by the shortcut keys (for the number of ticks per note, at least). So trying to use the shortcut keys can cause a different SFX's ticks per note to change, which is undesirable.
I am presuming this is because a previous SFX has been selected, and the selection has not been updated to the visible one either when the current SFX was changed or when a shortcut key is pressed.
Sometimes it seems to work fine, then sometimes the bug occurs - I am unable to determine the exact sequence to reproduce it.
Pressing ctrl+s then ctrl+r in swift succession caused pico8 to freeze.
This did not resolve, and as a result the file was not saved, and was corrupted.
(I had a very recent backup so only lost a very short SFX. This was actually the third time I've had this issue, although the other two times it either resolved or the file wasn't corrupted.)
This was with Windows 10 and pico8 0.1.12c.
On Android, using Chrome, the cartridges (at least those on the BBS - I haven't looked further afield yet) have constantly crackly audio, and the distinction between ticks is very audible so each tick sounds burbly or garbled, and some instruments sound particularly off in tone from what they should sound like.
I am using an Android tablet. It's low end, but I believe that to be not the main issue because I can get near perfect audio in Firefox with the same tablet (it could still be a contributing factor if Chrome isn't very efficient with delivery of audio but Firefox is).
The tablet runs Android 8.1.0; Oreo go.
I am using Chrome (version 77.0.3865.92 - I just updated it to make sure the issue happened with the latest version available to the tablet).
I can't say whether this is a general problem or limited to this device (I don't have extras to try it on).
I feel this is worth mentioning on the pico8 forum as a bug in case people are expecting everyone accessing their cartridges to be getting a near equal experience. This won't necessarily happen, and the delivery of the audio content that I'm experiencing is so bad that I wouldn't expect anyone to keep a cartridge open for more than 20 seconds.
Here is a link to a cartridge with music in if anyone wants to make a comparison on their own device (in Chrome then in Firefox) try:
The Snowman by gradualgames
Or hunt around for something more to your taste.
I doubt everyone is affected by this, because if they were there would have been a post about it already, but all I find is the occasional mention of crackly audio, with no one noting it as a bug.
Even if I suspect the problem lies mainly with Chrome for Android, I would still wonder if pico8 could tweak anything to get better playback.
Thanks for reading! And thanks @zep for pico8 which I'm enjoying greatly.
Editing in some threads which may have noted this or another issue with Chrome sound before: