Hey there,

A Feature Request for the PICO8-Users out there which use a Handheld (like Anbernic RG351P/M/V) to play PICO8-Games:

Normally, you can start every Cartridge directly using "-run" in the Command Line:

pico8 -run some_cartridge.p8

On Handheld-Devices, that's great, because you can Pause and Shutdown PICO8 with the given Controls.

HOWEVER: I was able to run a Cartridge that "crashed" PICO8 (means it shows some Lua-Errors and the Program stops running). But after that Crash, PICO8 doesn't quit, instead it throws me into the Command line, like:
(example crash)

But that's not good if that happens on a Handheld, because you have no opportunity now to close PICO8 without a Keyboard (or something hacky like SSH etc.). After that, I have no other choice than Poweroff that Handheld and hoping that the Filesystem on the SD-Card don't get corrupted.

P#95133 2021-07-21 16:11 ( Edited 2021-07-21 16:22)

Gameboys have a soft reset feature when you press L + R + start + select at the same time, maybe a similar feature would be useful. O + X + up + pause exits any running program and opens up splore?

My concern with an instant program exit on any crash is that sometimes you want to report the crash to the developer. So quick question for you, does the pause menu work at the console on your handheld, or does it just type 'p' like on desktop? That might be another place for a "return to splore" option.

P#95147 2021-07-21 18:35

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 10:26:35 | 0.009s | Q:9