A turn-less, world-less RPG made in 48 hours.

Cart #jusiv_b2018_v03-0 | 2018-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

HOW TO PLAY
Controls:

• Z/X/C: Advance/Select
  • Left/Right: Change Selected Character
  • Up/Down: Change Selected Action

Abilities:
The abilities aren't well explained beyond their names in-game, so here's a reference:

• STRIKE: Deal elemental damage to the opponent.
  • SPECIAL: Each character has a completely different Special ability.
    > Powderhound doubles the foe's remaining cooldown time.
    > Rogue deals high non-elemental damage.
    > Clover heals themselves.
  • BOLSTER: Heal the other two characters.

Attributes:
Each character, every enemy, and most attacks have an elemental attribute.
These are as follows: Frost (Blue), Hate (Red), and Zeal (Green)
Frost deals double damage to Hate, Hate deals double damage to Zeal, and Zeal deals double damage to Frost. (It's basically just Water/Fire/Grass.)

Tips:

• All actions have a cooldown, during which the user cannot act again.
  • When a character falls, they can be revived by Bolstering them. They will revive with a cooldown dependent on how far below 0 their HP had fallen.
  • If all characters are defeated, the player must reset the cartridge to try again.
  • Some enemies can create elemental shields, which protect them from all damage. They must be hit with a Strike of the attribute which is effective against theirs to be removed.

ABOUT
This is a light linear RPG which consists entirely of dialogue and combat. There are 16 battles in total.

I made this by myself in 48 hours for the B-Term 2018 Game Jam at WPI. I didn't have time to make any audio for it, and some things could use more explanation and polish, but otherwise it is basically complete.

The jam theme was to use three name generators and make a game inspired by the results (one for finding your Werewolf name, one for finding your Skier/Snowboarder name, and one for finding your Leprechaun name). I wound up with Rogue Hound, Powderhound Snowscombe, and Clover McWoozy (respectively). These ended up becoming the names of the three characters and informed their personalities, attributes, and abilities.

I might go through and try to expand or improve this later somehow but we'll see.

And if you'd like to see more of my stuff, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

P#59592 2018-12-03 00:34 ( Edited 2018-12-03 08:56)

Cool ! It starts really fast, but once I read the instructions, it was actually fairly easy, but still hectic ! Nice !
I would like to be able to choose an action even if my character is not ready yet, so that I can do it as soon as they are ready.

P#59605 2018-12-03 07:49

@~firefly~ Hey, thanks for the kind words!

And true, that would be a handy quality-of-life feature. Honestly it hadn't even occurred to me to implement a system like that.

If I ever revisit this (which is a distinct possibility) then I'll definitely consider adding it.

P#59608 2018-12-03 08:47 ( Edited 2018-12-03 08:48)

just with music or maybe sounds this would be so much fun

P#73040 2020-02-13 03:07

@Th3Gam1ngWiz4rd Thank you! And yeah this one is definitely deserving of a revisit at some point. Both for audio and balancing, and probably adding a bit more of a tutorial too.

P#73086 2020-02-14 02:51

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 19:23:33 | 0.050s | Q:24