Follow
chowyunbrent
SHOW MORE

Cart #willo-0 | 2020-10-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Skelliwags have taken over the graveyard and its up to Willo to kick them out!

Help little Willo sneak around, go 'woo', blow out candles and get up to all sorts of spooky stealthy fun in this short stealth'n'spook-em-up

Featuring

• 8 action packed graveyards to spook about in
  • MGS style ranking system, can you get all 8 platinum medals?
  • Skelliwags, floating eyeballs, tombstones and occult pentagrams
  • One adorable little ghost, Willo

Game by @danhowardgames

Music and SFX by the outrageously talented @gruber_music

P#83251 2020-10-23 16:57

SHOW MORE

What is it?

Last year I wrote a six-part tutorial series for The MagPi magazine that takes a complete novice all the way from installing PICO-8, to designing a full game with audio and effects, to releasing it on the BBS. The MagPi is a fantastic UK magazine that covers everything Raspberry Pi related and, with unfathomable generosity, makes all their issues available online for free in .pdf form. I post the full collection here now in the hope that they are useful.

Tutorial list

Tutorial 1: Get Started with PICO-8 and Raspberry Pi

Turn your Raspberry Pi into the coolest console around with PICO-8! Play, make, and share 8-bit games
download link

Tutorial 2: Learn Lua with PICO-8

You’ve played other people’s PICO-8 games, now it’s time to make your own! Create a retro space-shooter whilst learning the Lua language
download link

Tutorial 3: Make 8-bit graphics in PICO-8

Develop your pixel-art prowess and learn how to animate sprites with PICO-8. We’ll throw in some cool space explosions along the way
download link

Tutorial 4: Add game music and SFX in PICO-8

Use PICO-8’s built-in synthesizer to create space-age sound effects and get your pulse pounding by composing some bangin’ retro chiptunes
download link

Tutorial 5: Design retro game maps and levels in PICO-8

Take your game design to the next level by learning to use PICO-8’s map editor. Draw terrain and build your first level!
download link

Tutorial 6: Polish and release your PICO-8 game

Time to go gold! Let’s apply some final finishing touches to our retro space shooter, and release it into the wild
download link

Attack of the Green Blobs

You can play the game that was created for this project in full

Cart #attackofthegreenblobs-0 | 2020-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Additionally, here is the git repo for the full project. NB: In the interests of code readability, the code for this project is optimised for comprehension rather than token efficiency.

P#73478 2020-02-26 16:48

SHOW MORE

Cart #attackofthegreenblobs-0 | 2020-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

attack of the green blobs is a side scrolling space shooter. It was created for a tutorial series for The MagPi magazine and was designed to lead a novice through every aspect of game design on PICO-8.

It contains demonstrations of:

• different enemy types
  • screen shake
  • simple particle engine
  • simple collision engine
  • SFX and music implementation
  • simple game states
  • lots more...

You can follow the full tutorial series on the BBS in the tutorial section.

P#73481 2020-02-26 16:47 ( Edited 2020-02-26 16:49)

SHOW MORE

Hello,

Recently grabbed the latest version 0.1.12 on macos. I noticed that after editing on an external text editor, attempting to reload the cart with cmd+r caused PICO-8 to completely crash and quit.

It seemed to only happen if the cart.p8 file had been changed in someway. cmd+r works fine without edits.

Anyone else having this issue?

P#63449 2019-04-12 13:27

SHOW MORE

Cart #51752 | 2018-04-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

S W O R D F I S H

An aquatic action game. Swim sword first into the deep to destroy the evil at the heart of the ocean.

Featuring:

• fast, dynamic old school gameplay inspired by Ecco the Dolphin
  • Multiple enemy types each with their own attack patterns and weaknesses
  • 25 levels of aquatic action
  • A plucky swordfish with a charge attack and nothing to lose.

I hope you all enjoy the game! Post your final scores below :)

Let me know your feedback here or @danhowardgames

P#51754 2018-04-18 10:14 ( Edited 2018-06-22 04:39)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 03:19:25 | 0.170s | Q:22