Cart [#42902#] | Copy | Code | 2017-07-30 | Link

- - - ABOUT - - -
So right after I finished my first released game, Messages, I decided that I wanted to try and make an RPG in Pico-8. Well, about a month and a half later, this is what that project became.

This thing barely fits on a cart, using all 8192 tokens, each of the 64 available sounds, and basically all of the sprite and texture data.

Oh, and I did what I could with the soundtrack, but I'm not a musician so I can't promise anything about it's quality.

And if you're interesting in finding out about future projects of mine, you can check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

- - - BASIC CONTROLS - - -
Menus:

• Up/Down:
    Change Selection
  • Left/Right:
    Change Skill Tab (only in battle)
  • Z/X:
    Choose Selection

Overworld:

• Arrows:
    Move
  • Z/X:
    Interact (when prompted)

If you stand still for a few seconds, you can view your current status.

- - - COMBAT - - -
You have three basic types of skills you can use in combat: Attacks, Spells, and Actions. In order to use a skill, you will have to perform a quick minigame to determine its effectiveness. As you level up, you will unlock more skills.

Attacks and Spells are offensive. The base damage they deal is determined by how well you execute their minigame, but the final damage dealt is also affected by the enemy's defense against the chosen type of skill. Higher-tier Attacks and Spells are more powerful, but also harder to execute.

• To perform an Attack, you will have to stop a series of moving sliders on the highlighted sections using Z/X.
  • To perform a Spell, you will have to quickly sort a series of runes by color (orange or blue). If they're orange, hit Z/Left, and if they're blue hit X/Right.

Actions are defensive, and there are only two available: Flee and Recover. Flee exits a battle (if executed correctly), while Recover restores up to half of your maximum health and can cure status effects (but has a 2 turn cooldown).

• To perform Flee, rapidly hit the button shown. Pay attention, since the required button may change after each successful press!
  • To perform Recover, you have to keep a meter balanced in the center using Left and Right (or Z and X). The amount of health restored will vary depending on your maximum HP and how effectively you executed the minigame. As long as you don't let the meter fall too far to either side, it will also cure any status effect you have.

Lastly, there are three status effects which enemies can give you: Poison, Dizzy, and Panic.

• Poison deals gradual damage over time.
  • Dizzy has a chance to halve your base damage when you use an Attack or a Spell.
  • Panic makes minigames harder to execute.

- - - CHANGELOG - - -
v1.0 - Initial Release (7/30/2017)

rpg
P#42903 2017-07-30 03:13

::

Epic game, thank you so much for it! Amazed, how much did you pack in it!

P#42918 2017-07-30 13:04

Very impressive! I couldn't get very far playing on a phone because the minigames were very hard on a touchscreen, but now I'm at a proper computer I'm giving it for another shot. Very engaging battles!

P#42926 2017-07-30 15:33

Man, this was a really cool game, and a really polished one. Great job.

P#42955 2017-07-31 10:38

Really good, played through it this afternoon. Actually to be honest, I'm not sure if I got through it because I didn't beat what I believe was the final boss yet ;) Glad it has a save feature!

P#43011 2017-08-01 23:05

Fired it up here on the forum and didn't stop until I got the good ending. Really stellar work. You've either done this before or you're some kind of prodigy. :) Either way it's really polished and fun.

The only bits of feedback I have are:

• Magic seems way easier to do perfectly than melee, so I tended to rely on it alone. In melee, I feel I'm at the mercy of RNG placing the boxes at the left edge where the marker wrapping right->left makes them very hard to hit. Maybe if the boxes scrolled to the left while the marker was a fixed vertical line on the left side? I dunno. Or just limit them from being too close to the left edge.

• Fleeing feels impossible. Maybe it's just the unfamiliar button labels vs. the usual consoles, but I could seldom get the bar above half and never once succeeded, to the point where I stopped trying entirely.

• It was a bother to reset after the bad end to continue. Why not allow a button press to return to title? Edit: Actually, I forgot Tab is the Start button. If that would have worked, then disregard this.

Otherwise, geez, not much to complain about, nor a desire to. :) You really nailed the gameplay in this mini-rpg. Battles felt balanced, save points were well-spaced, mechanics were either intuitive or explained. The artwork is well done also. Nice work.

P#43147 2017-08-09 09:06 ( Edited 2017-08-09 09:16)

Finished it. Really nice work and I can't really add anything new to what others said. I really enjoyed the battle system. Have yet to find the second ending. I hope you make more RPGs!

P#43156 2017-08-09 19:40

user:
password:

New User | Account Help
:: New User
X
About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2017-12-17 14:04 | 0.238s | 1835k | Q:23