Follow
Firebird

I like tiny computers and colorful pixels <3

SHOW MORE

I'm not much of an artist, but here are the sprites for my jam submission (working title Ghostflame). I think I've decided to do a roguelike but I'm not 100% sure. However, I do know that I wanted to use the expanded palette for my sprites. I chose some colors that I really like but I'm not sure how well they work together. Since we can only use 4 colors for the jam, I've been constantly thinking about the best colors to use. I think that maybe I should get rid of either red or green and use black to make things darker, but I also wanted the enemies to be a different color from the player. I would like to hear some of your thoughts about it.

Here is a piece of quick concept art I made that i patterned the rest of the sprites after. The idea popped into my head while I was brainstorming game ideas.

P#67424 2019-09-09 08:22 ( Edited 2019-09-09 08:40)

SHOW MORE

Cart #sgupisohe-0 | 2019-09-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here is what I have so far. I finished the basic game mechanics a few weeks ago and now I'm starting to expand beyond a normal space invaders clone. I just finished adding the particle effects and screen shake effect. I've never done anything like this before so this game is full of firsts for me. I'm planning to refactor the code and make it more organized before I add more features. I'm sure that you all have some advice for ways to improve the code and make it more efficient. I'm open to any suggestions you may have. After I'm done reorganizing the program I have several decisions to make. I'm trying to decide if I should add a health mechanic for the basic aliens or reserve it for bosses only.

Completed:
. collisions
. bullets
. square formation enemies(like space invaders)
. particle effects
. basic sounds
. basic title screen
. screen shake effect
. sprites and visual stuff

TODO:
. sprite animations
. better menu
. weapon upgrades / multiple types
. powerups/health drops
. multiple enemy types
. waypoint/parametric equation based enemy movement(like Galaga)
. score system and level progression
. a boss battle

below is the beginnings of my new enemy movement system that will make use of parametric equations as well as lerp and waypoints probably to make transitions smoother. In the carts below, the enemies are moving along a Lissajous curves. I think it looks pretty good for a swarm of aliens.

second lissajous movement variation:

P#67113 2019-09-01 23:26 ( Edited 2019-09-04 17:09)

SHOW MORE

Cart #gamuretihi-0 | 2019-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I decided to make a space invaders clone in pico-8 over the weekend. I've been having a bit of trouble with a weird collision glitch that only happens when my Alien entities react to colliding with the right side of the screen. I've Worked through the logic in my head and my code should work. I've tried numerous variations of what I currently have in my cart thinking that maybe there is something with the code execution that is causing it to be off.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is related to the bit of code below. However, I'm not 100% sure since I haven't been able to fix it yet :-)

update = function(self)      
  if(self.x <= 0) then
    adr = 1
    self.x = 0
  elseif(self.x >= 120) then
    adr = -1
    self.x = 120
  end
    self.x +=self.v*adr             
end

Please direct me towards a solution if you can. This type of collision detection is usually pretty straightforward to do, but I've spent more time trying to fix this bug than I've spent making everything else.

[Edit]
I was able to fix the problem by moving the collision detection into a different loop to separate it from the position update so that the direction wouldn't be changed before all the entities had finished updating.

Cart #zitomarufe-0 | 2019-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#66686 2019-08-16 00:51 ( Edited 2019-08-16 20:01)

SHOW MORE

Have any of you used the Pyxel fantasy console? I just found out about it this week and I think it could possibly be made to work on the adafruit pybadge. It was designed to be a python substitute for Pico-8 and the creator cites pico-8 as his main inspiration for making it. It’s open source and could probably be made to run on the adafruit pybadge. There are a few developers working on a pybadge port of Celeste/pico-8 carts, but I haven’t found any more information about that project except for a few social media pictures and a GitHub repo. If the Pico-8 port to pybadge never happens then pyxel could be a possible substitute.

Here is the link to the Pyxel fantasy console: https://github.com/kitao/pyxel

Pico-8 is always my first choice for a fantasy console, but if it won’t be available on the pybadge then pyxel may be an acceptable substitute.

P#64731 2019-05-25 03:33 ( Edited 2019-05-28 03:57)

SHOW MORE

Cart #zohasaberi-8 | 2019-05-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I figured out how to use distance formulas to determine if a point lies within a non-orthogonal rectangular region. I can see many possible applications of this and thought I would share my solution. I'm sure there is a more efficient way to do this, but this is the best solution I could come up with at the time that didn't involve vector math. I tried to comment my code to help people understand it better, but I didn't go into great detail with explaining the math. Anyway, It only took me about an hour to come up with this demo but I hope someone can find it useful.

P#64361 2019-05-13 07:50

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 04:18:28 | 0.075s | Q:25