Cart [#44999#] | Copy | Code | 2017-10-08 | Link

EDIT: Updated version 1.01 for better precision in matrix calculations, so that shapes don't degenerate too quickly. Thanks @adge_francis for pointing this out on Twitter!

Controls: left, right, (O) - change pictures (X) - restart current picture, down - hide/show info bar

This is the first public release of the Noodle Engine, a PICO-8 thingamajig for making generative 3D art!

This example cart includes a few pictures I made, but the true purpose of releasing the engine is to enable everybody who is not me to make even cooler pictures with it!

It's easy to define new shapes with one or two screenfuls of code. Just load the cart up inside PICO-8 and scroll below the "pictures go here" line. You can play with the examples in there, or add completely new pictures. There is documentation available that walks you through the concepts and explains everything needed to make it all work.

If you're interested in how the engine itself and its renderer works, I have a Patreon where the full, unobfuscated source code is available to all $5+ patrons!

Feel free to share anything you make with the engine in any form, as carts, GIFs or otherwise. Hope it's as fun to play with as it was to make! :)

generative art demo
P#44320 2017-09-18 11:38

Cart [#43293#] | Copy | Code | 2017-08-16 | Link

This Sunday, I finally did the Patreon $100 stream - and the topic was procedurally-generated pixelart planets. The results were very fun, so I decided to flesh it out a bit more and make a small demo out of it.

The controls are pretty simple, since this is a highly advanced spacecraft simulation: press X to warp to the next planet.

The full source code, as usual, is available on my Patreon - if you'd like to know how the sausage is made, that's the perfect place to do it. You can also watch the stream, which explains (I hope) most of the ideas behind it.

Enjoy! :)

demoscene procgen
P#43295 2017-08-16 15:09

Cart [#42992#] | Copy | Code | 2017-08-01 | Link

At long last, the game is finally done!

Before you play: Dank Tomb is a pay-what-you-want title, which means that if you prefer to play it for free, it's perfectly okay to do so. But I'd really appreciate it a lot if you choose to pay for it through itch.io, or support my future work on Patreon! Supporters get bonus stuff as a thank-you from me: an expedition journal with additional story for Dank Tomb and access to unminified PICO-8 source code for the game ($5+).

Enjoy the game, and let me know what you think! A lot of blood, sweat, tears and elbow grease went into making this game, so I hope you'll have as much fun playing it as I had making it!

If you'd like to put the game down and return to it later, the game features a special room where you can save your progress. Once you see the "progress saved" message, it's safe to close the browser/console. To delete your progress (to get 100% completion on a new playthrough, maybe?), press Enter and select "delete progress" from the in-game menu. Warning: irreversible!

EDIT: updated to 1.1 - now with more generous jumps!

P#42784 2017-07-25 13:01

Cart [#42376#] | Copy | Code | 2017-07-11 | Link

Hey, everyone! This is the final version of my spinning Earth PICO-8 demo, now called Blue Marble.

It comes with two mostly accurate 3D textured spheres, lighting, realtime shadows and even some inspirational quotes that you can toggle by pressing the PICO-8 buttons :).

It's also able to do all this in 60 FPS, because well, why not?

If you're interested in how it's done, please check out my Patreon page - the commented, annotated source code for this demo is available there as we speak!

I might do a write-up later on the inner workings of this - at least if there is some interest?

demo 3d
P#42377 2017-07-11 13:21

Cart [#38007#] | Copy | Code | 2017-03-03 | Link

EDIT: All articles are now up, see below for links!

So, I've been working on a game again (which now has a name: Dank Tombs), and it includes a really swanky real-time lighting engine. Working on it was a blast and I learned a lot of good stuff when optimizing it, so I decided to clean up the code, share it here and write a series of posts on it so that others can benefit as well :).

Here is part 1,part 2, part 3 and part 4 of the write-up - if you have an hour, you can read them all in one go :).

This is just a demo, so most of the cart is showing off the tech.
Controls: (O)/(X) change the light radius, d-pad walks around

If you want to explore the cartridge for yourself, the best place to start from is probably _draw() - it references all the interesting stuff and clearly shows what order things happen in.

The code is under a CC-BY-SA license, so feel free to repurpose stuff :).

lighting realtime demo
P#37083 2017-02-02 12:57

Cart [#43168#] | Copy | Code | 2017-08-11 | Link

Edit for 2017: The Lair has now been updated with 60 fps support and new pixelart, making it look and feel even better! I also tweaked the combo mechanics so it's easier and more fun to rack up big combos. Have fun!

If you'd like to support me and the game, you can also play and donate at on itch.io!

Controls: Arrow keys - for moving around, O - for stabbing things and controlling menus, X - for blocking things that try to stab you, hold O - for a super-charged attack, double tap direction - for dashing to safety.

So, this is The Lair, a PICO-8 fantasy beat'em up that I've been working on and tweeting about since forever. Try it and let me know what you think!

The whole game was made by two people: @gruber_music, who provided (you guessed it) the audio parts, and me, who provided... everything else ;).

Have fun!

P#26851 2016-08-13 13:21

Cart [#26315#] | Copy | Code | 2016-08-02 | Link

Just got back from Crete, and had a hankering for some PICO-8. Made you all a postcard to get back in the programming groove :).

P#26316 2016-08-02 08:57

I had an idea for a musical game for the Pico, and wanted to verify whether the idea would work within the audio limitations first. Turns out, it wouldn't - but the toy I used to verify that turned to be lots of fun and took on a life of its own, so that's a win, I guess :).

Cart [#20406#] | Copy | Code | 2016-05-10 | Link

Z - add/erase notes | select options in the menu
X - change instrument
hold X - back to menu

Just put some notes on the grid to get a feel for it. You can save your songs to the cart itself, and I guess also share your crazy creations as cartridges here using that option:). There is also a demo song in there if you want to check out one of mine (disclaimer: not a musician by far, listen at your own risk).

Have fun! All comments, suggestions and ideas much appreciated :).

music toy
P#20407 2016-05-10 16:29

So, I just recently heard about PICO-8 and fell in love with the concept, especially since a lot of my game-related projects recently end up crumbling under their own weight. Thankfully, there is no way to do that to yourself with the constraints of the Pico, so I hope to finish a few small games for it to get my groove back :).

Cart [#20306#] | Copy | Code | 2016-05-08 | Link

This is my first Pico project. It's just a Minesweeper clone - I wanted to start with a known quantity just to get a feel for Lua and the API. I figured that in the unlikely event that the Pico becomes a hit handheld console, at least all those Minesweeper fans will have an implementation ready to go.

Then I found about the search function in splore and realized that somebody already made one :). Well, I guess there is two to choose from now :).

P#20304 2016-05-08 07:42

:: More
X
About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2017-10-20 14:20 | 0.338s | 1835k | Q:97