Follow
triplefox

Writer and game designer. Ludamix

SHOW MORE

Cart #55898 | 2018-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I needed to do some "Mad Libs" user-controlled string substitution for a project, so I developed a system that allows both coloring and replacement per word. It's not verified to be robust in all scenarios: long words aren't broken up and substitutions containing multiple words will be treated like a single big word.

P#55899 2018-08-30 19:38 ( Edited 2018-08-31 17:05)

SHOW MORE

What it is and does:

• 3D single-point camera(pan and zoom, no rotation)
  • Sorted draw of "scubes" (small cubes/sprite cubes) and "lcubes" (large cubes, collections of scubes - but they could be any shape)
  • Generates voxel data from the cart's sprite map! It works by combining a texture map, a depth map, and an address into the texture data to generate scubes. Then some additional post-processing allows the scubes to be transformed opening possibilities for procedural terrain etc.

I'm not sure how much further I'll go in developing this one because the game I'm making needs something a little more suited to crisp, accurate walls and corridors and I ended up with this after iterating through polygonal voxel cubes first and finding that this technique could approximate that result with far fewer tokens. So I cleaned it up a bit and started thinking about how to make it do things more like old Sega games(Space Harrier, Outrun, Power Drift, Galaxy Force), but the asset pipeline isn't quite as complete as I want yet - so if you want to step in, please go ahead. This probably won't be my focus for a while.

P#51360 2018-04-05 22:04 ( Edited 2018-04-06 02:33)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 09:17:51 | 0.090s | Q:11