EDIT: Updated version now supports mouse controls (and touch controls, but it won't work too well on the BBS - try the itch.io version to play on your phone!)
You're baking cakes for the Winter holidays! You do this by putting ingredients into a tray and trying to score the most points by assembling the longest combos possible!
This is an entry in the 2018 PICO-8 Advent Calendar - day #10.
How to play
The easiest way to learn is the "how to play" option in-game, but here is the gist:
- You make cakes by playing tiles into the tray. When the tray fills up, the cake is baked and scored.
- You get a recipe for each cake. The total score on tiles with a given ingredient has to at least match the number in the top-left corner.
- Tiles with the same ingredients fuse together when placed next to each other.
- Tiles with different ingredients interact through links. There are colored knobs on the sides of tiles. A red knob means that a tile will link with a red tile in this direction (the color of the score tag matters). Tiles earn bonus points when linked (equal to the lowest score already on them) and swap places.
- You can use all that swapping to make combos, which score extra points to all the tiles in your tray.
- Every link or fuse that you make earns you an extra tile to use.
This is a fantastic and beautiful game, but I ran into this and I hope it helps.
Bug report: When the game starts and I hit down, I get the following crash.
I actually can't reproduce it now. It may have been after a couple of game overs or restarts, I am not certain.
The updated version with mouse support crashes Pico-8 on launch on my Raspberry Pi. Does the same thing on the GameShell. :-(
I kept a copy of the old version which still works. I'm not sure if anything else changed with the update, but I really like this game (even so long after Christmas!) and it would be nice to see it working again for non-mouse/touch systems via the BBS.
I've found two bugs:
- Game sometimes freeze for a moment, lost mouse focus and you cannot put any new piece on the tray.
Another example: this time blue piece wants bonus from yellow and vice versa. I think it's coroutine deadlock.
- Runtime error I've got when i put one block on the tray and this block got bonus from two other blocks in the same time
add() has parsing bugs in the latest versions of the web player / executable. I've posted a bug report, but for now I'd recommend playing this game on itch.io, since that version doesn't update and will always work. @zep, it might be worth running BBS games in the version of pico-8 that they were created in, because these crashes have been happening more often lately.
[Please log in to post a comment]