EDIT: Updated version now supports mouse controls (and touch controls, but it won't work too well on the BBS - try the itch.io version to play on your phone!)
You're baking cakes for the Winter holidays! You do this by putting ingredients into a tray and trying to score the most points by assembling the longest combos possible!
This is an entry in the 2018 PICO-8 Advent Calendar - day #10.
How to play
The easiest way to learn is the "how to play" option in-game, but here is the gist:
- You make cakes by playing tiles into the tray. When the tray fills up, the cake is baked and scored.
- You get a recipe for each cake. The total score on tiles with a given ingredient has to at least match the number in the top-left corner.
- Tiles with the same ingredients fuse together when placed next to each other.
- Tiles with different ingredients interact through links. There are colored knobs on the sides of tiles. A red knob means that a tile will link with a red tile in this direction (the color of the score tag matters). Tiles earn bonus points when linked (equal to the lowest score already on them) and swap places.
- You can use all that swapping to make combos, which score extra points to all the tiles in your tray.
- Every link or fuse that you make earns you an extra tile to use.
This is a fantastic and beautiful game, but I ran into this and I hope it helps.
Bug report: When the game starts and I hit down, I get the following crash.
I actually can't reproduce it now. It may have been after a couple of game overs or restarts, I am not certain.
The updated version with mouse support crashes Pico-8 on launch on my Raspberry Pi. Does the same thing on the GameShell. :-(
I kept a copy of the old version which still works. I'm not sure if anything else changed with the update, but I really like this game (even so long after Christmas!) and it would be nice to see it working again for non-mouse/touch systems via the BBS.
[Please log in to post a comment]