I can't really think of a use for one-off characters right now, but Lazy Devs floated the idea of making a little editor for them in his recent video and that seemed like a fun short project, and I'd never done anything with GUI elements before.
- Meant to be used offline.
Not all features will work off the BBS but you can use the basic functionality.
- Multiple persistent slots for editing.
Really it's just a page of the spritesheet you're editing.
- Per character Undo/Redo
This is limited to 32 levels of undo per character but there's no particular reason it should be. Basically like the Pico-8 sprite editor (plus Rotation) though I didn't feel any need to implement the more complex drawing things for the 8x8 monochrome format.
- Flip, Rotate, and Shift
With some keyboard shortcuts you can see in tooltips. Shifting uses the dir buttons.
- Copy/Paste One Off Character Strings
That's the whole point of it. There's a toggle to use hex or binary, but just use hex because "binary string" doesn't really make any sense; if you have an empty row you're going to have \0's in the string and no string workflow is going to enjoy that; afaict you really can't even paste them into a cart which seems like the #1 thing you'd want to do; just use hex.
-> V7.0 Update. More enemies! More items! More graphics! More magic! More secrets! Less swamp!
This is a PICO-8 homage to Atari 2600 Adventure. It's not just a nostalgia trip; I tried to make it a fun game in its own right.
The token counting has changed enough since I first wrote this that
- You get one ship trip per game.
- There's a way to cure the curse of slowness.
- There's a way to open a gate without a key--once.
- Added tons of stuff!
- It's now playable. It even has an ending.
- There's more I want to add, but I'm at 7293/8192 tokens, so I'm not sure what will make it.
- (That's why the title screen is gone.)
- Added teleporters, ghosts and curses, the white castle, keys, doors, title screen
- Swamp very nothing, not sure how nightmarish to make it yet
- Technically it's possible to win now, but the game doesn't recognize win state
- Added picking up and dropping the sword.
- It won't let you deposit the sword in a wall.
- Sound effects relating to those.
- Rewrote things that don't get seen. Decided to go with purely integer pixel coordinates.
- Didn't really work on the duck yet. I think it crashes pico. It's dangerous.
Not a game yet, just want to show a friend a duck.
You can rotate the sword by holding a button and a direction. Not the button that shoots the beam -- the other button.