I have come across a bug with the rendering one-off characters using a binary encoded string. If they binary encoded string ends in a nul
\0 the character will not render.
"\^.⁸\0\0\0\0\0\0\0" doesn't work, the character will not render
"\^.\0\0\0\0\0\0\0⁸" does work and the character renders as expected; as does other combination tried as long as the last value isn't
None of this appears to be an issue if values are not string encoded first. Using a variable to store a binary value and using it to render a one-off character works in a cart regardless if there is a
\0 at the end.
Doing this on the Pico-8 command line:
This isn't an issue when using hex values e.g.:(
"\^:FF00000000000000" always appear to work as expected)
After trying many different combinations it does appear the issue with rendering only occurs when the last value is
Tested in version 0.2.4 running on MacOS 12.1 and Windows 10
⁸⁘\"A⁸⁸⁸⁸ \0\0\0\0\0\0\0◝ ᶜ▮▮▮8ム⁶³
ᶜ▮▮▮8ム⁶\0 ◝◝◝◝◝◝◝\0 ◝████◜█\0 ○█\0\0█ᵉ█\0
A utility for creating one-off characters for use in other carts.
Immediate load this cart by
Paint your desired character and send to the clipboard using "c" button.
Select the type of output desired being Hexadecimal string or Binary String.
Press "x" to clear and start new.
Import hex codes to verify how they look, or edit them further.
To import a hex code:
You should now see that hex code's rendered one-time character.
Only importing hex codes is supported at this time.
Use the output of this cart for creating one-off characters in your PICO-8 projects.
For binary encoded string you prefix the value with:
For hexadecimal string you prefix the value with:
example cat (hex):
example cat (bin):
The binary output to the clipboard may not working correctly. There is an issue with the one-off character feature when a binary encoded string ends in a
\0. In this condition, nothing renders. If the last line in your character is blank, I suggest you use hex output for now for that character. A bug report has been open here
**NOTE: This issue has been corrected in v0.2.4b
Back at it with a refactored version of the first Mines game. The goal here is learning and fun, and this project has been both of those for me.
Hmm, that was shorter than I expected :). I wanted to refactor what I did in the first one and add levels. Which I did and they are working. It still ugly, but, well, okay. Could use some sound and music too 😉
Thank you for reading.
A wide field example:
Yet another mines clone.
Still working out
It actually turned out to be a pretty fun little project.