bikibird
Follow
Denote: A MIDI File Demake Tool for PICO-8
by bikibird
Ice Cream Clouds
by bikibird
Updated: Depict, an image demake tool for PICO-8
by bikibird

I made a web-based tool for extracting and converting MIDI file data to be played in PICO-8. It's nicely interactive and includes a PICO-8 console built into the page so that you can audition the results before you copy the SFX data. Give Denote a try and let me know what you think.

P#94001 2021-06-24 22:48 ( Edited 2021-06-25 15:42)

So, I've been working on a web based MIDI to PICO-8 converter for a while now. It was going pretty well, but today I introduced a bug, which totally corrupted the SFX data. The input was the traditional melody, Ghost Of John. The output was this:

[sfx]

Surprisingly, I like the way it sounds. I guess I composed some original music here, but it was completely accidental. I guess if you make enough mistakes, some of them are bound to turn out ok.

Now I just need to figure out what kind of game goes with this soundtrack. Any suggestions? Feel free to use this in your own projects if it fits.

P#93612 2021-06-16 17:26 ( Edited 2021-06-16 17:27)

Cart #circularthinking-0 | 2021-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

In my last game, I included an iris effect to transition between two scenes. I used the midpoint circle algorithm to calculate the edges of the iris. This algo avoids trig and square root functions and so is super fast. Even at 60 frames a second, there's no lag. I decided to make a more generalized version, implemented as a coroutine. I hope you find it useful for your projects.

To use:

• Copy the iris function from the cartridge above into your own cartridge.

• When it's time for a transition, assign the coroutine to a variable in your update function: effect = cocreate(iris)

• In the draw function, call the coroutine: coresume(effect, 1, 128, 1, 15)

The parameters for the coroutine are starting radius, ending radius, step, and color. A positive step indicates by how much to open the iris on each frame. A negative step indicates a shrinking iris. See the code for examples.

P#92059 2021-05-16 23:58

Cart #icecreamclouds-1 | 2021-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Straight from the laboratory of Professor von Stroopwafel is a modest proposal to solve global climate change. Enjoy a lighthearted romp through a speculative future. It even has bells and whistles. Happy Earth Day, everyone.

Game Play

Catch falling scoops of ice cream and toppings to fulfill as many orders as possible before the timer runs out.

Controls

Press the X key to advance to the next screen.

Left and right keys move the cone.

Use the Z key at any time to see the ice cream order. Press Z again to dismiss it. The timer is always running so try not to look at the order too long or too often.

P#90911 2021-04-22 00:31 ( Edited 2021-05-26 17:01)

I'm working on an SFX that is supposed to sound like a bicycle bell, well actually an ice cream bell. Here's what I have so far:

[sfx]

Do you find it convincing? Do you have advice on making it better? If you have a better SFX of a bicycle or ice cream bell ding, please share.

P#89978 2021-04-04 15:12 ( Edited 2021-04-04 15:52)

I made an image demake tool for PICO-8. Load any image and create a dithered image that uses PICO-8 standard colors and/or hidden colors and is reduced to a maximum width and height of 128 x128. Depict supports Ordered, Atkinson, Floyd-Steinberg, and Sierra2 dithering as well as some artistic dithers: Rivers, Streets, Rain, Wind. Drag and drop the final result into the PICO-8 sprite sheet. Free on itch: Depict

All feedback welcomed.

Mix and match standard and hidden colors, but do do not exceed 16.

Rivers dither adds horizontal ripples.

Streets dither creates maze-like artifacts.

Rain dither makes vertical steaks.

Wind dither produces slashes.

Atkinson Dither

Ordered Dither

No Dither

P#87051 2021-02-01 01:14 ( Edited 2021-02-08 00:51)

Cart #christmassneks-5 | 2021-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first Pico-8 game. Entered in Toy Box Jam 2020.

Tis the season to sing carols, drink nog, and decorate the night with Christmas sneks.

Press an arrow key to change the direction of the snek and connect bulbs to the live wire at the front of the snek to light them up. Build a long snek or a short snek. Ride the high speed rail to get around faster.

This is a mellow game with no set goals, but beware! If you touch the live wire to the snek you will create a short circuit!

When you are happy with your snek, press X to go to the forest and plant a tree decorated with your snek. Then go build another snek so you can plant another tree.

Merry Christmas and may 2021 bring you only good things.

P#85777 2020-12-25 20:17 ( Edited 2021-01-02 01:00)

Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2021-10-15 21:26:37 | 0.066s | Q:21