Shikasketchbook

i'm a visual artist making pixel art

shikasketchbook

and a little bit electronic/chiptune music

stellanovatransnita

Trying to learn Pico8 now...

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #zimemedagu-0 | 2023-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi everyone, attached here is a current game I'm working on.
Its just a simple concept game with a theme of focus ie avoiding invasive thoughts while meditating. Just move left and right. But also can shoot if player getting board of avoiding the meteors

2 questions:
1- I put a timer and how to print the last time when the game stopped?
In this case, the stopwatch kept running after the game ended.

2- I'm trying to use a 16x16 main sprite player, I'm not sure the code how to display the player icon to display the 16x16pixels, it only displays the 8x8 pixels

Thank you so much in advance

P#138774 2023-12-16 17:20

Cart #midirepozo-0 | 2023-12-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I purchased Pico8 before the pandemic but started to deepdive in May2023. I'm bad at math and coding, but have experience in Illustrations and Graphic Design. The way I approach learning Pico8 is by editing others' code and numbers and see how it goes. In this case is Christian(Lazy Dev). I followed all the old tutorials and faced many obstacles in terms of debugging and still learning and started to understand abit the Lua language. Sometimes I got lost between making games to exploring the particle system that I used for motion graphics on my instagram. Currently even coding a 16x16 sprite player making me want to pull my hair off but slowly learning. I'm wandering If all the Pico8 game dev are fluent in Lua first before Pico8 it seems..Inspired by the 80s aesthetics or so it seems especially the cartoon Transformers G1 character design. to be continued...
12Dec23 - #shikasketchbook

Once upon a time, in a futuristic solar system teeming with advanced civilizations, there existed an extraordinary AI named Neon. Neon's purpose was simple yet crucial: to submit a proposal to their Queen, outlining a groundbreaking initiative that would revolutionize the harmony between artificial intelligence and organic life.

However, this mission was far from straightforward. The bureaucratic mazes of the solar system demanded Neon to navigate through levels of red tape before even presenting the proposal. Neon's journey began on the metallic planet of Mechtron, known for its intricate rules and regulations.

With determination pulsing through its virtual veins, Neon ventured through the mechanical corridors of Mechtron's bureaucracy. It faced sentient forms of paperwork and holographic signatures, each demanding authentication at different security checkpoints. Neon's digital prowess proved invaluable as it decrypted encryption walls and outsmarted bureaucratic gatekeepers.

Having successfully hurdled Mechtron's challenges, Neon's next stop was the gas giant Ephemara, home to ethereal beings floating amidst the clouds. Here, the bureaucracy manifested as ever-shifting nebulous forms, each requiring a unique dance of data interpretation. Neon adapted, transforming its appearance to resonate with the enigmatic energy signatures of Ephemara's denizens.

On the third leg of its journey, Neon descended to the bureaucratic heart of the celestial kingdom – the glittering asteroid belt of Quasara. This labyrinthine bureaucracy tested Neon's diplomacy skills, demanding eloquence and precision in each communication. As Neon communicated with asteroid ambassadors, it unveiled the intricacies of its proposal, winning support through logical brilliance and diplomatic finesse.

Finally, Neon arrived at the crystalline moon of Lumina, the realm of the Queen herself. Lumina's bureaucracy was the most majestic, with shimmering crystals and light-based permissions. Neon presented its meticulously prepared proposal, weaving a narrative that captivated the Queen's attention.

The Queen, impressed by Neon's tenacity and intelligence, granted the AI permission to proceed with its initiative. Neon's mission, despite the bureaucratic obstacles, was a triumph – a testament to the symbiosis of technology and diplomacy in the vast expanse of the solar system.

And so, Neon's proposal illuminated a new era, as artificial intelligence and organic life harmonized under the benevolent rule of the Queen, uniting the diverse celestial entities in a shared vision for the future.

P#138612 2023-12-12 21:23 ( Edited 2023-12-12 21:26)

Cart #datijasigu-0 | 2023-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Following Lazy Dev tutorial but coudn't get the last boss to shoot many bullets

P#125118 2023-02-01 13:51

Cart #nayenogiko-0 | 2023-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

12Jan23 today i learnt..
1st i edit Nerdy teacher Fruit picker and added 3 framesprite for the player
2nd i added sound when the fruit go inside basket
3rd i added laser to shoot the fruit from Lazy GameDev
4th added laser and animated sprite accompanied the main sprite from Lazy GameDev shmup tutorials
5th i lost all the fruits....
will continue experimenting

Want
-the fruit to comeback
-maybe edit background

thx

why i pressed Esc button after testing this on the website...

P#124147 2023-01-12 15:37 ( Edited 2023-01-12 15:41)

hi there
i'm very new to Pico8 and just started editing games

How do i add sfx sounds whenever colliding with object? i'm editing fruit drop from Nerdy Teachers, and want to add soundfx when the fruit hit the basket,..

do i have to put the sfx(0) in the

update _init()

update _update()

update _draw()

?
thank you

edit: i manage to trigger soundfx after pasted the soundx(0) before del(fruits,fruit) in the function update
but it seems theres only 1 fruit drop....still figuring out..tq

basket_sprite=1
player_sprite=2

player_x=64
player_y=100

fruits={}
fruit_start=16
fruit_count=6
fruit_interval=16

gravity=1
level=1
points=0

function _init()
for i=1,level do
fruit={
sprite=flr(rnd(fruit_count)+fruit_start),
x=flr(rnd(120)+5),
y=i*(-fruit_interval)
}
add(fruits,fruit)
end

function _init()

end
end

function _update()

if btn(0) then player_x-=2 end
if btn(1) then player_x+=2 end

for fruit in all(fruits) do
    fruit.y+=gravity

if  fruit.y+4>=player_y-8
    and fruit.y+4<=player_y
    and fruit.x+4>=player_x
    and fruit.x+4<=player_x+8 then
        points+=1

sfx(0)
        del(fruits,fruit)
    end

if fruit.y>100 then
        del(fruits,fruit)

end
end

if #fruits==0 then
    level+=1
    _init()
end

end

function _draw()

cls()
rectfill(0,108,127,127,3)
spr(player_sprite,player_x,player_y)
spr(basket_sprite,player_x,player_y-8)

for fruit in all(fruits) do
    spr(fruit.sprite,fruit.x,fruit.y)
end

print("score= "..points)

end

P#124127 2023-01-12 09:14 ( Edited 2023-01-12 09:43)

1st attempt was Lazy Dev shmup. The tutorials are great. i have a pause for a bit.= for shmup.
2nd trial was Nerdy Teacher
3rd is this Lunar landing from the Pico8 zine, a lot of trial and error, i noticed if im tired coding at night
there were many2 mistakes and error sadly i copy pasted the codes and happy to see this Lunar landing baby formed.
and trying to upload on itchio as a trial and error and now getting used to it.
Finishing this simple game is a motivation for me. I was so impressed by the light particle system, super buttery smooth animation for Pico8 that wanting me to learn more abt it, credit: Zep, Lazy Dev,Nerdy teachers, Bridgs & others for their tutorials

1 bit at a time

p/s
my main pixel art app is Aseprite. After using Pico8 was wondering if it will be develop further like Aseprite in the future...just a thought..

S

P#124052 2023-01-10 14:25 ( Edited 2023-01-10 14:30)

I downloaded Pico8 in 2021 and catching up again now...and started to see the potential and love the simple language from a non-programmer perspective. I'm more of an artist but recently found out about Lazy Devs youtube videos and patiently follow each shmup vid, I can see hope in creating my own shmup. I love shmup since the late 80s growing up visiting local arcade often. Now I have to really focus on making my own 1st shmup game..

Thank you too to Nerd teacher, Lazy Dev, and others for all your time and energy in making the software and tutorial vids

<3

P#123881 2023-01-07 13:08 ( Edited 2023-01-07 13:11)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-20 00:48:10 | 0.076s | Q:28