BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #jefegibadu-0 | 2022-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made From: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=37398

P#115127 2022-08-01 18:53 ( Edited 2022-08-01 18:54)

Okay, so after realizing that c0-e5 was 65 total notes, I did a little digging into this. The sfx format specifies that pitch is a number from 0-63, so why does e5 work when you press [p] in the editor, while octave 4 is selected? The sound is higher than d#5, too.

First, let's try some p8scii. In the console, print("\a0szd#5e5") cstore(0x3200,0x3200,68) both plays a constant d#5d#5, and stores that in sfx 0. Then go to the sfx editor and select octave 4, and change it to d#5e5 via pressing [p], and press space to play back. Two different notes!

Now, go back to the console and do sfx(0). This gets the very weird behavior of d#5c1, almost like a default, but not the same default that \a has.

Then, go back to the editor and add a c1 directly below the e5, and press space for playback. Three notes. Then go back to the console and run sfx(0) again. This time you get a weird fading blend between the two c1 notes, almost like pico-8 sees them as two separate pitch values internally.

Finally, save the cart, reboot, and reload. The e5 is saved as a d#5 on the cart, which means playback changes again!

This could all be fixed by removing the ability to add e5 in the sfx editor, but there are some inconsistencies still with how it's handled in p8scii (since e5-b5 become d#5, but all other notes out of range (i.e. e6) become c5).

Lots to tweak here. It was an interesting glimpse into the internal systems that do the actual audio playback.

P#115121 2022-08-01 18:29 ( Edited 2022-08-29 02:57)

Cart #wagehepida-0 | 2022-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#115113 2022-08-01 15:15

Cart #worldunder-8 | 2022-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The World Under

a game by Mikimation aka Miki Hakim

Controls:

Left\Right - Walk
Up - Interact
Down - Defend
Z - Attack
X - Jump
Down + X - Roll Dodge

Dev notes

I am an animator by profession. I've had a big project this year in After Effects that made me required me to learn some programming. Around that time I discovered Pico 8 and fell in love with the platform and a lot of the games made by the community. I decided I want to fulfill a dream I've had for 20 years now and make a game, like the games I used to grow up on in the 90s.
I've started doing some tutorials, and what started as a small project developed into making a full-on game.
I have learned a lot through the process. With each mechanic I wanted to put on the game I needed to learn more about programming in Lua and math.

After I set up the engine, I found out what game design really is. Working with Pico 8's relatively small map, I've understood how I should lead the player in the area, and use the space to its maximum potential.
I also had to learn technincs used by early games, such as pallete swapping, used in the sword animation, fade to black screen, and different level colors.
Creating systems was really fun. Like the enemy system, and building modular enemies with modular ai. With these systems I could create a big amount of enemies while using a rather little sprites in the process.
To be able to put alot of contents in Pico 8's code limitations, I've developed all kinds of compression methods that really let me squiz in alot, though I've had to let go of alot of ideas that I wanted to put in.
The game is not perfect, but it's my first game, and I know you gotta stop at some point and move on to the next project. I did manage to create a full game, and I'm really proud of how The World Under came to be.

about the code

For an efficient way to place enemies on the map, I've made a script that scans the entire map, and look for tiles that will spawn enemies(first tab after the comment "map scan for enemy tiles".

controls are all shared by the enemies and the player, in order to save code tokens. It surprised me how well it worked out.

Actors management. the function create_enemies on the 4th tab is the properties of each actor(powerups, enemies, NPCs, etc...). Each actor has a type, and according to it's type, it gets it's custume properties, such as sprites, width, height, ai etc...

The Ai of the enemies is also modular, as each block of the ai can be called with it's name, in the AI table.

sprite_builder() is the function that builds each enemy from different sprties and handles it's animation properties. Took me some time to get it to work well, and I was able to do with some really amazing enemies.

In conclusion This game was really fun to made and I hope it will be fun for you to play

P#115100 2022-08-01 12:27 ( Edited 2022-08-03 12:40)

Over the past 4/5 months I haven't done much game development in pico 8, but I've started a new project - the sequel to my adventure game

Adventure game v1.0
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=47009
(embed didn't work)

It's going to use some of my previous code experience to help me make it. It should be released in 2/3 weeks, and I will make another post if there is delays or bugs I need help with.

Adios!

P#115092 2022-08-01 05:47 ( Edited 2022-08-01 05:48)

Cart #turtle_tailgate_test-1 | 2022-08-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls!

Arrows to move, Z to confirm, Enter for menu.

How to play!

Don't crash into turtles and avoid starfish and sea urchins!

Collect hearts for extra lives!

To score points, stay behind turtles for as long as you can, but don't forget to dodge them at the last moment!

The score multiplier decreases if you are too far away from the next turtle. Keep the multiplier high to score more points!

Are you fast enough to keep up?

Tips and Tricks

You don't need to hold the arrow keys. Just tap the direction of the lane you want to switch to and you'll be moved there automatically.

If your fingers are fast enough, it is possible to stay in the space between lanes for a short while. That will help you avoid seemingly impossible obstacles:

You can often squeeze through very tight gaps. Take note of the size of the character's hitboxes:

In the first stages of the game, a heart spawns whenever you get 1000 points. Don't forget to collect these extra lives, as their spawn rate decreases in the later stages.

Credits

I made this game by myself during July 2022. What inspired me was @Krystman Shmup tutorials on the Lazy Devs YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/LazyDevs), especially when he demonstrated how to create a parallax scrolling star field. You can see that I implemented that sort of thing with the bubbles in this game. I ended up not making a Shmup, though, but I think I'll try it out someday in the future.

The main song of the game is a rendition of Misirlou, a folk song from Eastern Mediterranean countries. I wanted it to sound more like Dick Dale's arrangement of it, which is quintessentially surf rock, but I don't think I've succeeded in capturing that impression. The song is still catchy, though, but some people may feel like it doesn't really fit a marine setting.

Thank you so much for playing! I made this game for the fun of it, but consider making a donation if you enjoyed this little toy I've put together for you: https://ko-fi.com/profpatonildo70266

License

This game is released under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. Here's a link to a summary of the license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

P#115085 2022-08-01 03:51

Cart #hydrohopper-1 | 2022-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A demake of Hydro Hopper from Club Penguin

P#115078 2022-07-31 20:39

Cart #octopus-0 | 2022-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A remake of Octopus, a 1981 Game & Watch by Nintendo.

It can work as a watch/clock if you happen to have a Pico-8 device that you are happy leave on all the time. Otherwise just use up/down to select game A or B and either button to start the game.

This was an interesting challenge: The hardest part was squeezing the graphics into 128x128 pixels. Hopefully it still looks somewhat like the original. The "ink" parts do not suit the sprite/tile system at all and would be hard to fit in the graphics memory, so sprites are only used for the clock and score display as well as drawing the "rounded corners". Instead, I've RLE packed the graphics into strings and decompress them to screen every render, only drawing the relevant parts.

P#114959 2022-07-31 17:47

The fastest flinger in the west

Version 1.6.1 + 2.0 RD2

Description

You are the new sherrif in town, and due to budget cuts, they sadly cant afford to give you a gun, so you'll have to do with a sling and the rocks you can find. Shoot yourself through hordes of outlaws whilst trying to be as economical as possible!

Cart #westernflinger-9 | 2022-08-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

And for now, a top secret beta test.

Cart #frd2b-0 | 2023-05-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Info

Aight, i've been doing some work on a game now, and this is the first version of it!
There is no music as i am an incompetent developer, but that shouldnt be too bad, right?

The game is about you being a sheriff with a rock slinger, and your goal is just to defeat massive amounts of criminals.
The game is theoretically impossible to beat but sooner or later you should hit some limits like ram etc.

Native downloads
itch.io page

I hope it isnt too bad, and i am open for any feedback!

Update 1.0

• Added sound effects
  • Added rock throwing mechanics
  • Added player control
  • Added enemies
  • Added main menu
  • Added death
  • Added player
  • Really, added the game

Update 1.1

• Added screen shake
  • Added death SFX

Update 1.2

• Added a whole bunch of new kill SFX
  • Added 3 new enemies for a total of 4
    [32x8]
  • Killing multiple enemies with one stone will now grant you score multipliers
  • Enemies with higher difficulty will grant higher multipliers but also move a lot faster
  • Added version to the main menu
  • Updated menu text
  • Tweaked screen shake
  • Multipliers now also increase screen shake

Update 1.3

• Added enemy death particles
  • Fixed so that the player cannot leave the screen

Update 1.4

• Added new enemy: boss, for a total of 5
    [8x8]
  • New main menu
  • Added high score
  • Added score reset option in the pause menu(pico-8 machine)

Update 1.4.1

• It now shows multipliers even at stage 1
  • Did not update the main menu text

Update 1.5

HIGH SCORE RESET!

• Fixed the particle system
  • Screen shake tweaks
  • Added small intro
  • Rock destruction changes

Update 1.6

HIGH SCORE RESET!

• Added 2 new enemies, the rancher, and the gunman!
    [16x8]
  • Updated game ID
  • Fixed some minor bugs
  • Secret changes(as usual)

Update 1.6.1

• Tweaked boss speed

Update 2.0 RD2

• This is an in-development version of the game. There are most likely around twenty-nine various ways just to crash it.
  • The 5 corrupted cowboys and their boss have been reworked
  • Reworked the entire game from the ground up
    This is, as I said, an in-dev update. I am looking for feedback on the existing stuff before I start to really branch out. Something feels off, you see :)
P#115055 2022-07-31 10:15 ( Edited 2023-05-29 18:47)

A small "game" I made for learning purposes. It has only one level, but I'm pround of what I made.

Also at my itch.io account : https://stingby12.itch.io/weird-calculator-p8

Cart #math5522-2 | 2022-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#115054 2022-07-31 09:39 ( Edited 2022-07-31 09:42)

yet another remake of an old remix of mine
mostly unchanged, just added a few extra sfx so it sounds better
enjoy!

Cart #smb1snow-0 | 2022-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#90512 2022-07-31 01:12 ( Edited 2022-07-31 01:16)

Cart #pico_rescue-1 | 2022-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pico Rescue!

Pico Rescue is a game for rescuing people and putting out fires. Keep an eye out for your fuel bar, avoid the damage caused by smoke columns, pick up rescuees and return them back to flag checkpoint.

Don't over stay!

You cannot refuel during a mission. So pay close attention to your fuel gauge. When it starts to blink you have 30% of fuel left. It's best to leave, you might not have time to save everyone.

For the emergency room!

Some of the rescuees may need medical atention. You'll have to remove clothing, and do first aid like cleaning wounds and stop bleedings. Use the lens on a wound to see what's left, but don't take too long. Keep and eye out for the patient blood level and use a blood bag if needed

Watch out for the wind

Wind direction can boost your speed but can also hold you down. Be careful because winds with enough speed can spread some wild fires and create massive smoke columns.

Emergencies every day and night

Some missions may happen at night, which will make things hard. Fly low and easy using your spotlight!

Don't forget to spend your money

Before taking on a new challenge, don't forget to hit the store and refuel and fix your aircraft. By buying some upgrades on the Upgrade Store you can improve certain aspects of your helicopter. Save up for some of them!

Read the in-game's help for more info

P#115029 2022-07-30 21:48 ( Edited 2022-08-02 03:20)

Cart #snailmaker-0 | 2022-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A silly little toy I threw together. Click your mouse to generate a bunch of randomly-colored snails that flee at varying speeds to the left and right of the screen.

P#115020 2022-07-30 18:44

Cart #celeste_easy_read-0 | 2022-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Celeste, but with graphics options. Made in less than an hour. :)
Options are available through the pause menu (P or Enter).
Options list:

• Shake (disables all forms of screenshake)
  • Clouds (hides the moving clouds)
  • Snow (hides the snow in the foreground)
  • Deco. (hides decoration in the background, leaving solely the interactive stuff)

Hope this helps people out! :)

P#115012 2022-07-30 14:02

Cart #lightsofflockslocked-0 | 2022-07-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

IMPORTANT! All employees:
We take both the environment and our security seriously. Ensure all lights are off and all doors are locked when leaving the premises. Failure to do so will result in termination of contract.

This was originally supposed to be my attempt at Weekly Game Jam #149, with the theme "Last One Left". Thanks to all of this lock-down business (future generations, look up 2020 on Wikipedia) I was going to have a go at making a game, when not working from home; however a migraine lost a couple of days' worth of time and I bailed out. Originally using Unity, then followed 2 years of being too busy / lazy / depressed to do anything, until the engine that PICO-8 provided was the excuse I needed to make a more compact game.

Cheers all

(update - v1.0.1 with a toilet block and historical facts)

P#115011 2022-07-30 13:51 ( Edited 2022-08-14 09:24)

Cart #majigesefa-4 | 2022-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Story

You are a witch who has found themself in a dark dungeon overrun by goblins. You must escape the dungeon by finding keys to unlock the gates. Spellbooks have been scattered around and can be used to cast spells. The spells can eliminate goblins and light up the dungeon.

Controls

-Arrow keys to move
-X to cast spells

Info

This is a short, top-down, dungeon crawler game that is inspired by The Night of the Worm Slayer by xCoraNil which can be found here:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=32628

This is also my first time making music for a game. Any feedback is much appreciated

Updates

Update 1

-Updated music to have longer loops
-Added a minimum length of time for lighting up the dungeon
-Fixed a minor error on the tutorial screen

Update 2

-Extended the minimum length of time for lighting up the dungeon
-Added a torch that can be lit to light up the dungeon for a longer amount of time

Update 3

-Added torches to the tutorial screen

Images

P#114996 2022-07-30 09:25 ( Edited 2022-08-15 10:15)

Cart #vampachi-1 | 2022-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Vampachi v1.1

Dodge, evolve, survive! This is my PICO-8 take on Vampire Survivors. As a vertical shmup. It started out way more Vampire Survivors-like and turned out way more shmup-like. At least it's not just a clone.

Story

Yeah, sure. Okay, well: Help vampire hunter Liz Belmont to survive until dawn. Except dawn will never come. Sorry.

Features

Endless survival shmup gameplay
15 types of enemies
4 types of bosses
10 upgradable abilities and weapons including:

• A god-worthy hammer
  • An adorable bee
  • A Pac-Man
  • A fluffy sheep
  • A Croissant
  • Melee damage
  • up to 8-way shooting (completely automated)

How to play

Just dodge everything on screen but the blue gems. Those will level up your abilities and give you bonus weapons.
Shooting is completely automated. You don't need to press any buttons.
Fly near enemies to kill them with your melee claws.

Press C to start the game.
Use the arrow keys to move and dodge.
Or use a game controller.

To-do

• More overall balancing.
  • Maybe a score system overhaul.

Update v1.1

• further balanced gameplay and difficulty (I hope so)
  • added new dynamic explosion effects
  • bosses now appear in random order for more diversity
P#114993 2022-07-30 07:23 ( Edited 2022-09-17 21:13)

Cart #adelie_chess-4 | 2023-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The long-awaited spinoff to Chess is finally here! In Adelie, your goal is to destroy all of your opponent's eggs while keeping your eggs protected. Every penguin has a unique move set, and can even be evolved to gain different moves and abilities! Below is an image containing each penguin's move set and evolution path for your convenience.

• Each penguin may move using the arrows indicated by the green box and may kill using the arrows indicated by the red box.

• The distance each arrow goes is important! All moves have a limited range matching that in the image.

• Evolve a penguin by moving it onto the same tile as an identical penguin. Evolving an Egguin allows you to choose one of the three evolution paths.

• If an arrow is facing down and has a small shadow, this indicates that the move cannot be blocked by other pieces along the path.

• The Pengineer has a special ability that makes its attacks ranged, allowing it to kill other pieces without moving, as long as it has a line of sight.

• The Flying Penguins divebombs create a devastating shockwave. Opponents pieces on a tile marked with an X will be killed if the Flying Penguin lands directly next to them.

• The color of the cursor indicates which players move it currently is!

This cart will more than likely be no longer updated, as I will be doing a complete rewrite of the underlying system, although this may take a while

P#114985 2022-07-29 23:59 ( Edited 2023-03-12 22:10)

(v00 07-29-22)

Cart #rotate_earth-0 | 2022-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS PICO-8 CART, in immediate mode, type: load #rotate_earth

First off I'd like to give credit to @0oskar and his Earth Demo found HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=48697

Which inspired me to write this.

One of the things I discovered back in IBM-pc DOS after plotting randomly colored pixels to the screen was a way to make them grow and fill in an area randomly. I called it the Tapestry Effect and used it in some of my games where I wanted to create random continents and maps.

I especially made use of it for an Easter Egg program written in GFABasic where I plotted color r#254,g#254,b#254 and then randomly chose one of those 3 to plot a pixel one-space away from there with either r g or b decreased by 1. and then I set an invisible "egg" boundary so when it was complete you had these very pretty rainbow colored eggs in a basket of grass I also procedurally drew.

I could reproduce it here but it definitely won't look good with Pico-8's only fixed 16-colors.

However I saw this rotating Earth example in a Nintendo game years ago and after looking at it closely I realized it was not actually rotating the image but scrolling it along a horizontal line and masking out the edges to make it round and LOOK like it was rotating.

Pretty clever stuff for the time I thought. So with my Tapestry Effect, here now is me reproducing that earlier Nintendo effect along with a satellite to show you can still have normal sprites despite using them all up in the creation of the "Earth" and its circle mask thanks to Pico-8's extended memory.

The sound you hear ? Why it can only be the satellite's way of saying HELLO to any and all intelligent life forms outside our galaxy. Please come and visit, we've got coffee !👽

P#114976 2022-07-29 19:28

Cart #omgsosecret-0 | 2022-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

one of tags is sus ...

P#114971 2022-07-29 17:40
View Older Posts
Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 13:04:26 | 0.112s | Q:102