Follow
PUNKWEIGHTINTRO
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #pozopikene-0 | 2023-06-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

After watching this video about the map generation in the Binding Of Isaac, I wanted to play around more with the map generation in my game. The maps in my game consist of 4 rooms which are randomly chosen from a list of rooms. I wanted to try something similar where it checks to see if adjacent rooms are compatible when generating them.

Original game with the current map generation

Cart #siyupisesi-1 | 2023-06-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

These maps are generated just by picking 4 random rooms and there is no system to check if they are compatible. To make sure no parts of the map are inaccessible, I designed each room so that they shouldn't be able to block them in any position. I find that this lead to maps that are a little too empty and open.

Side by side of both map generations

New map gen

Old map gen

Let me know what you think of both forms of map generation

P#130755 2023-06-10 13:25 ( Edited 2023-06-10 13:45)

Cart #fomgeyufu-0 | 2023-06-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

This is a small roguelike inspired by the Shin Megami Tensei games

How To Play

Controls

• Left Arrow and Right Arrow to turn
  • Down Arrow to turn 180 degrees
  • Up Arrow to move forward
  • X to open/close the map and to select moves when in combat
  • Z to run when in combat (random chance to successfully run)

Gameplay

You will encounter enemies while you explore the dungeon. Each enemy will have a weakness. Enemies also have a random change to hit or miss you at each turn. The likelihood of encountering an enemy is indicated by the compass. When the compass has a red ring, you will encounter an enemy soon.

You will find a ladder on each level. This level will take you to the next floor. Each floor will increase the enemies difficulty.

You can press X to open the map. Use this to find items and the ladder.

The player is indicated in the map by a yellow point with an arrow in the direction you are facing.

Throughout the dungeon you will find various items. Health items will increase your max health and current health.

MP items will raise your max MP and your current MP. MP is used to cast spells.

Power items will increase the amount of damage you deal to an enemy.

Random items will give you either a random stat buff or a debuff.

Devlog

Itch.io link

P#130463 2023-06-02 16:54 ( Edited 2023-06-20 15:31)

Cart #hizutotegi-3 | 2023-04-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

Making a little game where you buy something in a convenience store.

Changes:

v0.3

• The slushy machine now works. You can add a slushy to your inventory or cause a spill.
  • The freezer has a humming noise and you can add a ice lolly to your inventory.
  • The wet floor sign will now reset it's position if it is stuck in a wall for more than 3 seconds.

v0.4

• Fixed bug where the sfx doesn't play.
  • Slight changes to the music.
  • Can now grab items from the shelves.
P#128400 2023-04-10 10:43 ( Edited 2023-04-12 09:16)

Cart #fogoyegano-1 | 2022-11-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

-Arrow keys to move to the next room or navigate the shop.
-Z to block or purchase items.
-X to attack or exit the shop.
-Z+X to use special items.

Rules

You must delve into the endless dungeon whilst defeating monsters and collecting gold. Gold can be used to buy health, weapon upgrades, and special items. The shop will appear every 10 rooms.

When in combat you must choose to block or attack. After your turn, the enemy will attack and there will be a random chance you will be hit. The enemies' health and hit chance will increase after every shop.

You can also use a special item. You will start out with the 'run' item but other items can be purchased at the shop. Special items will have a cooldown after each usage. Here is a list of all the special items:

-'Run' allows you to escape an encounter.
-'Defence' gives you armour (indicated in the top right) and will protect you from the next hit.
-'Bomb' will give you a damage buff.
-'Full heal' will give you full health.

When you die your run will be over and you must start again from room 1.

Description

This is an endless first-person dungeon-crawler made in Pico8. This is my first time making a game like this so feedback is much appreciated.

Story

You find yourself in a seemingly endless dungeon. You are lost and have an urge to just keep going deeper. As you go deeper you start to encounter ghosts, skeletons, and other monsters. Maybe they're defending something? Maybe if you go deep enough there will be an exit?

Updates

Version 1.1

Improvements

After gathering some feedback I have made the following changes:

-There is now a small chance that you can encounter a friendly NPC that will either heal you or give you gold. This
will be influenced by the direction you have travelled in.
-To make the shield seem more useful I have changed the special item system to require you to block with your shield
before you use it.
-I have also changed the special item system so that you only use X instead of Z+X to use special items. This
addresses the issue of some people finding it difficult to press Z+X at the same time without accidentally
attacking or blocking.
-In the shop, you now have to navigate to the exit using the arrow keys instead of pressing X to leave.
-I have also fixed a bug where you could over-heal by purchasing more lives than you had max hp.

Known Issues

Special items such as 'Run' and 'Bomb' seem to cause the 'you have blocked' text to stay up until the next encounter as the player needs to wait until the next encounter for their turn to properly end.

Future Improvements

In the future, I would like to make the combat less luck based. Originally I had planned to give each enemy an attack pattern and so I might try to implement that in the future.

New music would also be nice to add as the current song isn't great and it gets repetitive fast.

Images

P#119960 2022-11-01 16:50 ( Edited 2022-11-05 18:54)

Cart #jeradoyuje-0 | 2022-09-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Arrow Keys to move

X to grab

Rules

Snails and goldfish are +5 points

Reg fish are +10 points

Eels are +25

The coin is +50 points

The stopwatch will pause the timer for 5 seconds

Regular trash is -5 points

Bombs are -50 points

Jellyfish are -25 points

Hooks are -10 points

Description

This is a remake of a previous game I made called "Grab Fishin'" which can be found here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=48474

I decided to remake the game as I really like the idea of it but I definitely needed to improve it by doing things like adding extra items and levels.

P#117200 2022-09-11 10:38

Cart #jazaresape-0 | 2022-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You're a young adventurer who has wandered deep into a cave of werecats. As you wander in the dark cave, you accidentally step on a cat's tail. In retaliation, you are bitten and subsequently turned into a werecat. You must now find a way to turn back.

-Arrow keys to move

-X to jump

-Z to talk

-CTRL+R to restart

This is a short platformer for Major Jam 5. The theme was legends and the limitation was that the gameplay must reach beyond the game space. I implemented this limitation by making the cat's list and map image files separate from the game.

P#116271 2022-08-25 11:24 ( Edited 2022-08-25 11:25)

Cart #majigesefa-4 | 2022-08-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Story

You are a witch who has found themself in a dark dungeon overrun by goblins. You must escape the dungeon by finding keys to unlock the gates. Spellbooks have been scattered around and can be used to cast spells. The spells can eliminate goblins and light up the dungeon.

Controls

-Arrow keys to move
-X to cast spells

Info

This is a short, top-down, dungeon crawler game that is inspired by The Night of the Worm Slayer by xCoraNil which can be found here:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=32628

This is also my first time making music for a game. Any feedback is much appreciated

Updates

Update 1

-Updated music to have longer loops
-Added a minimum length of time for lighting up the dungeon
-Fixed a minor error on the tutorial screen

Update 2

-Extended the minimum length of time for lighting up the dungeon
-Added a torch that can be lit to light up the dungeon for a longer amount of time

Update 3

-Added torches to the tutorial screen

Images

P#114996 2022-07-30 09:25 ( Edited 2022-08-15 10:15)

Cart #hetifotohi-1 | 2022-07-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Grab tha fishy

Controls

-Press Z to start
-Press X to toggle on and off the water background texture
-Use the Arrow Keys to move
-Use X to grab

Rules

You have 10 seconds to grab as many fish as possible and avoid grabbing the trash. Each fish is worth 250 points, trash is a deduction of 250 points, and there is a gold coin worth 1000 points.

Images

P#114159 2022-07-10 12:14

Cart #pobohezapa-3 | 2022-06-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

-Shoot the bullseye to start.
-Mouse to aim.
-Left mouse button to shoot.
-X or Z to restart.

Rules

-The goal is to have the highest score and highest accuracy% possible.
-The yellow ducks are worth 10 points and the target is worth 50 points.
-Avoid hitting the green duck as it will deduct 50 points.

Info

This is my first Pico-8 game so any feedback or suggestions will be much appreciated. It is a carnival style shooting gallery. I had some difficulty getting the collision to work with all of the objects and I am still looking for ways to improve it, especially with making the green duck block the collision for the target. The collision I am currently using is the circle-based collision from the Bridgs tutorial series.

Updates

Update 1

-Left mouse button now shoots instead of Z.
-Added hit sound effects for the target, yellow duck, and green duck.
-Added sparks when shooting the target, yellow duck, and green duck using a mikamulperi tutorial.
-Shooting the green duck deducts 50 points instead of 20.

Update 2

-Fixed ammo amount.
-Small change to the title screen graphics.
-Ducks and target now disappear briefly after being shot.
-Shoot the bullseye to start the game instead of pressing Z or X.

images

P#113694 2022-06-26 20:32 ( Edited 2022-06-27 19:23)