I got tired of hand making palettes by messing with numbers in code, so I made this. It might be useful, so I thought I'd post it.
The top half is your palette; the bottom is colors to put into it.
left/right - move cursor
up/down - change cursor direction
O - select/deselect
X - switch the bottom between alt and regular palettes
Select a color slot in your palette, then select a color on the bottom to set the slot.
Alternatively, select another palette slot to switch them.
The pause menu has default palettes to chose from, as well as an option to export your palette to clipboard.
Weird bug with thread
It shows Doubleshotgun as replying a few minutes ago, when they actually replied a week ago. I'm fairly certain this was triggered when I edited my post and added another version of my cart to it.
- make a post
- someone comments
- edit the post
- thread says they replied at the timestamp when you edited post
Shmup in one hour
I randomly decided to challenge myself to make a shmup in a single hour. I wrote every bit of code (ie no copying someone else's), and made every sprite and sound in this timeframe. The one hour version wasn't very polished and was fairly buggy so I also did a version in 2 hours that's a good deal better.
Pico-8 is crazy. The fact that its possible to make a game (albeit a tiny one) in just two hours is crazy and shows how powerful Pico-8 is. I really enjoyed this challenge. Also, it's cool to see how much a little polish (star field, sound) makes the game feel a whole lot more like a game.
Also, I probably won't update/continue this as an actual full-fledged game. I mean do you really want another shmup? There's already like, a bajillion.
edit: I was having so much fun I came back to it and did another hour. I present to you...
I decided to try making a tweetcart, this is my first. It's exactly 280 chars. As for playing: simply press the buttons the game shows quickly before time runs out
Fish n' a Barrel
A very WIP Enter the Gungeon inspired twin stick shooter. The code is horribly messy right now, so brace yourself before looking.
New in v1.8
- settings screen actually works
- better ui
New in v1.7
- enemies have health instead of getting instakilled
- start of a settings screen
New in v1.6
- death animation for enemies
- better displays/UI
New in v1.5
- controls are customizable in pause menu
- custom controls are persistent
New in v1.4
- you now strafe when holding the fire button (O)
- fixed weird bug with pressing X
New in v1.3
- more enemies
- a title screen(ish)
- enemies animate when spawning instead of just appearing
New in v1.2
- persistent highscore using cartdata
New in v1.1
- more guns
- guns have varying stats (fire rate, clip, etc.)
- gun randomly switches occasionally
- a meter above your head to visualize reload time (gray) or ammo (yellow)
- highscore visual (not persistent though)
Arrow keys move, you shoot the opposite direction, and you can double tap a direction to dodge/dash
Controls can be changed in pause menu
- clean up code (move to ecs?)
- more guns
- more enemies
- better controls
- better score system
- settings (aim assist, controls, etc.)
- polish (actual UI, particles, music, sounds, animation)
Full Controller Support
This question has probably been asked before but:
Is there any reason we can't have full controller support as a DevKit option? I know stuff like this exists but it feels janky and convoluted. And I know that full controller goes against the spirit of pico-8, but so does mouse and keyboard, so I feel like logically controller would be fine as a DevKit flag. Is there some technical reason this can't be done? Or is it just not a priority in general? Thanks for any answers!
(I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times, so if there's a thread I should see please point me there)