Wow! I finally made a finished version of my LD39 game. Overall, I am fairly satisfied with this game, if not super enthused. I had to make many concessions to fit it into the token count. However, it is a surprisingly fully-featured procedural platformer, and it is something I am proud of.
Help Harry escape the procedurally generated caves!
How to play:
Walk and climb - arrow keys
Burp (attack) - X
Jump - Z or C
Dig - down arrow
- Harry will starve if you don't eat mushrooms along the way. Make sure to grab them!
- the caves are randomly generated every game. If you get a tough set of caves, don't be afraid to try again!
- If you get enough mushrooms, a powerup will appear above harry. GRAB THESE! they are they key to running faster, jumping higher, and burping harder!
- when harry digs on flat ground, he will pile up the ground behind him. Use this to build platforms to help you climb higher.
- the escape for each level is at the top, in the middle. If you find a way to break the ceiling, however, you can use that too!
- Your hunger will occur at a faster rate each level. Mushrooms are almost always worth a detour.
- You can jump for quite a while after walking off a ledge. Use this to your advantage!
v1.1 - Oct 31 '17
- added text to harry's intro that points out your burping ability. Non-pico8 players did not know to try pushing X.
- increased frequency factor of mushrooms from 1.5 to 2. SHould make things a bit easier.
Poor Harry! He was taking a nap when the ice broke from under him! Help him climb out of the caves, and make sure he gets enough mushrooms to eat before he starves!
Arrow keys - move
Z - jump
Down - dig a hole
Up - climb most surfaces
I can't believe I finished this in time. It is pretty bare bones, but I am happy with it. I wish I had the time to add in enemies, but there you go.
Here is the link on Ludum Dare's site: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/39/hungry-harrys-climb
Congrats to everyone who finished LD39!
--edit Aug 1:
I've tried to clear up some confusion for LD39 participants. It is now hopefully clearer that the first level is actually a level that can be beaten. Also, i added a super-jump (hold up and jump) that should help with some of the trickier levels. The super-jump burns food though, so don't go crazy.
I removed the super-jump. This felt against the spirit of ludum dare, in that i was adding an ability after the competition ended. However, i DID fix the level generator so that all levels can be beaten - i feel that this was a bug fix.
-- edit 3
People keep digging through the floor, so I had to hardcode that to be impossible. Fix made for LD participants
9HOLE is a platformer where you are also golfing! Hit the ball to the hole (under par!) and then get to the hole yourself!
X: Swing your club (hold the button for a harder swing!)
WHEN THE BALL IS AIRBORN:
Arrows: Move the ball (a little bit!)
C,Z: releas ball control and control the character again.
SECRET: if you find the game a little easy, try pressing "Up" repeatedly on the title screen!
I will be doing more of a post-mortem in a bit, but I wanted to get this game online. Happy playing!
- added tutorial text to level 1
- fixed (hopefully!) spraying particles when your ball sits next to a wall
- increased particle counts and lifetimes across the board (makes the game a little flashier)
- fixed level 2 so that there is no point of no return
- adjusted a jump on level 5 so it is a little more forgiving
in the future:
- bug fixes as they get reported
- I would like to flesh out the music with one more layer
- ...that's it? I kind of feel like I've explored this idea to my content.