Follow
Noba
Every Extend Extra - PICO 8 EDITION
by Noba
[ :: Read More :: ]

TRIHARD

Or TRI-HARD, if you're so inclined

Cart #dizuzigim-15 | 2021-07-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TRIHARD is another super intense arcade high scoring game, featuring multiple gamemodes, an original score with 5 songs, 6 animated backgrounds with 8 (technically 9) palettes, and 4 boss battles.

That's all well and good, but what's it about?!

TRIHARD's gameplay loop is simple. Bounce around the screen with your slippery and bouncy triangle (heh, get it?), dodging bullets and collecting squares. Run out of lives or let a square disappear and you will die. The gameplay is altered when events are thrown into the mix. Every so often an event will spawn, these can range from sweeping lasers to giant bullets. On top of this, have fun being killed by the 4 bosses!

Sounds great! How do I play?

The controls are even simpler!

In menus:

• Up and Down to navigate
  • Z to select

The menu does not feature wrapping.

In-game:

• Arrow keys to move!
  • Z to enable invulnerability, once the conditions are met.

When you go over 50% total velocity, your ship will become invincible, signified by the bar in the top left and the blue sparks on your triangle. Press Z to activate it! It will remain activated until you either go below the target speed, or it runs out.

Gifs:

Updates:

Update 06/07/2021:

• Finished game
  • Added to Cartridges forum!

Update 07/07/2021:

• Added ability to skip slide in with Z
  • Replaced secret boss background to be less eye-straining. Resulted in a happy accident that looks very cool.
  • Added an extra attack to the secret boss that I have no regrets about. Sue me!
  • Player velocity bar will no longer overflow.
  • Investigating a bug about the invulnerability sometimes not activating.
P#94239 2021-06-30 12:30 ( Edited 2021-07-07 14:54)

Trigonarium

Trigonarium is copyright https://twitter.com/gimblll, go buy the game on Steam, it's great! This is just a demake and he deserves all the credit.

Cart #jimebobasi-2 | 2020-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Trigonarium is a top down twin stick shooter with an everchanging map. Fight your way through an arena of 12 enemy types through 4 different gamemodes while the map changes shape around you.

Features:

• 4 unique gamemodes - Normal, Super, Chase, and Quick Attack
  • Normal - Fight through all enemy types with 3 lives
  • Super - Enemy spawnrates are drastically increased, but so is your firepower
  • Chase - Similar to Super but enemies will spawn where the player is standing, as you survive, more enemy types will spawn
  • Quick attack - Green enemies only, lots of spawns, one life!
  • Several powerups
  • Lots of enemy types

Credits:

• Kimmo Lahtinen - Original game in it's entirety, original art and original concept
  • Tommy Baynen - Original Trigonarium song
  • Noba - Demake programming, music and art

Instructions:

• Up Right Down Left - Move your ship around
  • Z - Fire, aiming happens automatically. It will aim at the enemies close to you in order of creation
  • X - Ram your ship, killing everything in it's path instantly. Use left and right to aim your ram during the build up time
  • The arena will change size every 10 seconds or so, make sure not to stand on the red tiles when it changes!
P#85235 2020-12-10 14:11 ( Edited 2020-12-11 15:05)

Byte Sabor

Cart #muyodoyute-3 | 2020-09-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Byte Sabor is an endless arcade game where you teleport between lines of enemies, destroying those that cross between your path.

Fight randomly generated bosses with completely unique patterns and collect stat changing items that can drastically change the outcome of your run. How to tell which is which? Pick it up and find out!

Fight randomly generated bosses with unique patterns

Collect different items that can change the outcome of your run, for better or for worse

Simple yet effective gameplay that constantly gets more difficult

How to play:

• Hold down O to prepare a teleport. Position the cursor with your arrow keys, and let go of O to teleport. Enemies caught inside of your path (indicated by the flashing line) will take damage. You are invulnerable for a very short period after teleporting.
  • Use the arrow keys to move when not teleporting.
  • The bar on the right is your chain.
  • The bar on the left is your health. Enemies that go off screen will take some of it away, as well as taking damage.
    It's that simple!
    (I would have put this in the game, but I ran out of tokens. Sorry!)

Credits:

Update as of 18:59 13/09/20:

• Increased HP loss from off screen enemies from 0.23 to 0.6
  • Increased HP loss from getting hit from 8 to 16
  • Increased chain lost from off screen enemies from 0.6 to 1.5
  • Clamped base enemy increase after defeating a boss (different from item pickup enemy increase) to 6 to prevent memory leaks. Speed still increases indefinitely, but may be nerfed.
  • A better boss theme!
P#81770 2020-09-13 17:06 ( Edited 2020-09-13 21:35)

So I'm currently working on a semi randomly generated horizontal racing game. It's entirely horizontal, but the game will feature tracks that are a lot more elaborate with horizontal branching paths that are semi randomly generated in a spelunky style, made of 16x12 segments that are preset but with spikes and obstacles set in code. I'm having trouble figuring out how to fit all of the segments I want though, while still having the entirety of the map to work with, and possibly all of my sprite sheet. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do?

P#81754 2020-09-13 09:04 ( Edited 2020-09-13 09:06)

Every Extend Extra

Cart #tyubokedu-3 | 2020-09-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

UPDATE 3RD SEPTEMBER 2020 16:28 PM:

• Fixed various typos
  • Made bullets bigger and flashy, but same small hitbox (middle circle)
  • You now need a higher chain for an extend based on quicken count
  • There is now a bar on the left which is based on time. The higher your time, the more points you get per chain, but take more damage + lose more time based on how high it is

Every Extend Extra is an arcade game about detonating your ship, causing colourful chain reactions in the enemies, granting you points.

This game is my attempt at demaking it, as it's one of my favourite PSP games of all time and I thought it could do with some well deserved love.

Features:

• Gameplay highly similar to the original, but in a small replayable Pico 8 format
  • 4 unique backgrounds, songs, and basic enemy sprites, giving you replayability options if you get bored of another
  • 4 upbeat and catchy songs from the Pico Tunes V2 album, by @Gruber
  • Lots of colourful explosions
  • Probably a lot of gameovers!

Controls:

• Z to slow down your ship
  • X to detonate
  • Z and then X held to delay an explosion
  • Arrows to move

I put a lot of effort into this game. I hope you enjoy playing it just as much I enjoyed making it!

P#81453 2020-09-02 21:02 ( Edited 2020-09-03 15:29)

Bullseye

Cart #noba_bullseye-0 | 2020-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Bullseye is a fast paced strategic arcade shooter where you don't shoot! Instead, enemy bullets damage each other, and you can weave your way between their attacks to make them shoot each other.

It's relatively small, but I made it with the intention of making something fun, challenging and replayable. It features 3 enemies and 3 powerups. Each enemy has an upside and downside for the player, as well as a bomb, which of course can be triggered by enemies too which will make it damage your ship.

Took about 2 days to make and I'm proud of it for my first actually finished and playable project.

Music by the ever talented Gruber. Sound effects by me.

P#81379 2020-08-30 22:09 ( Edited 2020-08-30 23:33)

Cart #friendly_fire-0 | 2020-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Been working on my first Pico 8 game for the last few days. Thought it was finally "okay" enough to share!

This is Friendly Fire! An arcade-y SHMUP like game where you control 2 ships at once in reverse directions. Enemies come at you from the middle pointing either left or right, it's your job to stop them from reaching either border, and to also not ram into your own bullets.

Bullets cannot hurt the border, that includes enemy bullets and your own, but they CAN hurt everything else, including you. Basically, don't hit yourself, and don't hit the enemies.

Controls:

Up/Down arrows - Move up or down, both ships move in opposite directions to each other
X - Use powerups, not yet implemented but coming soonTM
Z - Fire

There are 3 ships to choose from. Hopefully they're all balanced and fun enough!

The game also features a sort of dynamic soundtrack. As you do well, more instruments are introduced, when you collide with an enemy or an enemy collides with the border, it resets.

Right now the game has 4 enemies, the game gets progressively harder with more spawning at once, as well as a mechanic thrown in starting from wave 3. Of course, being WIP I plan on updating this frequently with more enemies and stuff, so if you're interested keep an eye out.

The code is a bit messy and not very consistent. I come from a GMS background and while I consider myself alright at programming, I thought I'd rather focus on getting something done than focusing on efficient token usage and stuff like that.

I made the music myself but personally I think I'm pretty crappy at that. Sorry if it's ear burning!

P#75616 2020-04-29 23:05 ( Edited 2020-04-29 23:08)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 08:17:25 | 0.079s | Q:32