NEST 2: Fast-paced Coin-Op Action
by doczi_dominik
BREAKDOWN - Upside-Down Breakout/Arkanoid
by doczi_dominik
Legend of The Bufferking
by doczi_dominik
SHOW MORE

Cart #nest2-10 | 2021-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

NEST 2 is a simple, but intense arcade game for our fantasy console. Rotate and dash all around the grid, nullifying enemies quickly to increase your CHAIN while avoiding spikes on a mission as old as time itself: beating your high score!

Update (v1.1):

As a result of the recent API changes, I was able to shave off a few tokens and add some Quality of Life changes (bless split()). For example:

• Added a line to the first timer guide
  • Made the chain timer more visible/obvious
  • Added a ring around shooting enemies that show when they fire
  • Other balancing changes and fixes

Features:

• Colorful, easy to read visuals
  • Simple and short but fast and varied action
  • Reactive music that changes depending on your performance
  • Change and disable game elements in the Options menu to make your experience as readable or as flashy as you want!

Controls:

LEFT ----- Rotate COUNTER-CLOCKWISE
RIGHT ----- Rotate CLOCKWISE
X / O ----- Dash to opposite side (opposite point on triangle and pentagon)

Tips and tricks:

• Every time you dash, a tiny bit of your CHAIN timer refills! Dash around the grid quickly instead of rotating to keep your CHAIN going!
  • Spikes explode after some time. This clears the way for you AND it blows up nearby enemies in the process!
  • Clear the board in a single carefully-timed dash to earn bonus points!
  • If you nullify an enemy before hitting the spike, you also destroy the spike. This is called a Spike Skip, and it's worth bonus points, too!

Special thanks:

@Gruber for the music in PICO-8 Tunes Vol. II. The gameplay music pieces are "remixed" versions of Like Clockwork. The title screen and results screens are my own compositions (thus the drop in quality) with the help of Gruber's tutorials.

Post your high scores! :)

P#75847 2020-05-05 13:59 ( Edited 2021-12-04 10:55)

SHOW MORE

Cart #breakdown-1 | 2019-03-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The tables have turned!

After many years of the Balls aggressively destroying the Blocks, now it's your turn to defend!

Features:

• Fast-paced, button-mashing heavy, but strategic action
  • A new take on an old classic
  • Clear and colorful graphics

Controls:

• Arrow Keys to move cursor
  • X to place a block
  • C to use a Time-Stop Bomb

Gamemodes:

• Score Attack - 60 seconds of pure button-mashing action. You are graded on the amount and position of the blocks you've placed, as well as how many are left when time ran out and how many Time-Stop Bombs you've had.- This is the recommended gamemode for starters.
  • Time Attack - How long can you last against a barrage of balls? Blocks automatically break after some time and you lose when there are no blocks on the board.

Version 1.1 Updates

• New cover image
  • Fixed "Reset Highscores" menu option not showing

Post your highscores! :)

P#63050 2019-03-26 19:12 ( Edited 2019-03-29 12:50)

SHOW MORE

Cart #bufferking-0 | 2018-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

LEGEND OF THE BUFFERKING: A turn-based 'enemy rush' arcade game.

I'm debating whether I should actually release it, as in it's current state, I feel that something that makes it fun is just missing from it. :/

• No Sound
  • Here be bugs

CONTROLS: X to Continue/Select, O to Go Back

If you HP reaches 0, you die.

Your SkillKard only functions when you have enough CP to use it. Moving around the panels slowly refills your CP gauge.

Your energy meter decreases as you move around the map. If you run out of energy, you have to REST, otherwise you can't attack or move.

You can only attack an enemy if you are on the same vertical line of them. The more energy you have, the more damage you will deal! Attack types go on a cooldown once used.

Thanks for playing! Constructive criticism is of course always welcome!

P#59789 2018-12-07 05:47

SHOW MORE

Cart #52813 | 2018-05-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey guys! I'm doing a quick test on making a 2D platformer by using color-dependant collision. The only problem I have is what's known as the 'jitter problem', where because of gravity I need to set the player's y value over the ground, but when this happens after the player is in the ground it causes a noticeable jitter. (Try holding jump when on ground to see the effect)

Could anyone help me with this? I don't mind changing gravity and acceleration as long as it is similar. Thanks in advance! :)

P#52814 2018-05-16 16:03 ( Edited 2018-05-17 11:59)

SHOW MORE

Cart #51429 | 2018-04-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

NEST, my first ever PICO-8 project is finished!

Now with better particle effects, two modes for more accessible controls and high-score saving!

At first, this was just a typical "make and throw away" first project, but while making it, it really evolved into a much better experience. I hope some of you will still enjoy it for a couple minutes even though it is far from perfect!

And if you like what you see, consider dropping a buck or two on the game's itch.io page:
https://doczi-dominik.itch.io/nest

Update v1.2

• 4-way control scheme
  • Shielded enemies - Can only be defeated from one side
  • Overheat - Cannot spam dash now
  • Difficulty adjustments to timer and hitboxes
P#51198 2018-04-02 13:01 ( Edited 2018-04-15 16:46)

SHOW MORE

Hey! I am looking for somebody to help me on my first game, NEST. The game is practically finished, except that there is no music nor sound. I have tried many times, watching many tutorials online, but I realised that I am not musically inclined enough for the job. So, if anyone would like to give a helping hand on 3-5 sfx, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all in advance!

P#50917 2018-03-28 09:21 ( Edited 2018-04-02 17:09)

SHOW MORE

Cart #50672 | 2018-03-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first PICO-8 project. It's a small arcade game, I think it can be pretty fun for 2-3 minutes.

The game lacks some basic features, which include:
-Particles when enemies die
-High score table
-Sound and music

Also, this is my first time coding anything other than print("Hello world" in python. I know my code isn't practical and it's pretty token heavy for such a small game.

Constructive criticism on game/code welcome! :)

P#50673 2018-03-21 13:04 ( Edited 2018-04-02 16:55)

SHOW MORE

Hello! I'm new to PICO-8 and I'm currently struggling to make a table which my "levels", which has enemies in them. The method I tried :

function make_enemy(x,y)
 a={}
 a.x=x
 a.y=y

return a
end

function draw_enemy(en)
 circfill(en.x, en.y, 3, 8)
end

enemy1=make_enemy(0,0)
enemy2=make_enemy(120,120)

mapcount=1
maps={
 {enemy1},
 {enemy2},
 {enemy1, enemy2}
}

function _draw()
 foreach(maps[mapcount], draw_enemy)
end

This doesn't seem to work for me.

Could anyone suggest a more reliable way?

P#49696 2018-02-26 00:47 ( Edited 2018-02-27 00:05)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 11:31:27 | 0.081s | Q:30