Follow
atzlochtlan

Make something for the love of making.

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #particletest-0 | 2023-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Particle Effects

Sixteen different kind of particles based on same generation method. I get the idea of the main function and loop of the particles from Youtube video of "Particles in Pico-8 - The Ultimate Guide" from SpaceCat.

All functions work and genrate particle when "O" button is passed. The particles can be implemented to other carts by only copying the function into the code. So, everyone is free to use the particless as long as they refer to my work :D

P#133343 2023-08-21 07:05

Cart #reflextest-0 | 2023-08-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I thought the PICO-8 community needed a reaction time test. For this I came up with a reflex test inspired by humanbenchmark.com

HOW TO USE

You can use the whole program just by pressing the "O" key. When you pass the main menu and start the test, you wait on the red screen for a random length of time. At the end of this period, when the screen turns green, you must press the "O" key as fast as possible. If you press the key early, you will have to start over with the current step. At the end of each step, you can see your current reaction time and when this process is repeated 5 times, the program calculates your average reaction time.

CREATING A DATABASE

The program also makes a comment on how fast or slow you are as a result, based on your average reaction time. This comment is a classification system based on the results of me and a few volunteers for now.

The next thing I want to do about this is to set up a database of the average reaction times of the PICO-8 community playing this game and put it on some sort of leaderboard. If you want to help, you can write your average reaction time in the comments until the next update!

MUSIC

I took the music in the main menu from Gruber's "Pico-8 Music Tutorials" playlist from YouTube, which I started watching to improve my composing skills.

P#132983 2023-08-12 07:11 ( Edited 2023-08-12 07:16)

Cart #ypoztito-0 | 2023-08-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

SISYPHEAN PARABLE

I see that man going back down with a heavy yet measured step toward the torment of which he will never know the end. This is the truly tragic moment when the hero becomes conscious of his wretched condition. He does not have hope, but there is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn. Acknowledging the truth will conquer it; Sisyphus, just like the absurd man, continues pushing. All is well, indeed, that one must imagine Sisyphus happy.

SUMMARY

A hapless vacuum cleaner is responsible for cleaning up the mess in the room. However, a crack in its body spills some of the dirt that it had previously collected in its tank back to the ground whenever it moves. This vicious cycle results in him continuing the cleaning process indefinitely, even when a limited amount of dirt is found in the room.

CONTROLS

You can move the vacuum cleaner with the arrow keys. By pressing the "X" key, you can clean a piece of dirt from the front of the vacuum cleaner. The direction of the tile to be cleaned is the same as the direction the vacuum cleaner turned in the previous movement. Every time the vacuum cleaner moves, it will spill some dirt on the tile it leaves behind.

At the beginning of the game, 12 pieces of dirt have already been collected in the tank of the vacuum cleaner. The remaining 4 pieces of dirt are randomly scattered throughout the room. The main objective of the game is to collect all 16 pieces of dirt in the vacuum cleaner's tank.

After all this effort, if you want to give up, you can reset the game by pressing the "O" button.

MUSIC AND INSPIRATION

The music playing in the main menu is "Key" composed by C148 from Minecraft's wonderful soundtrack, which I tried to implement it myself to PICO-8.

I got the inspiration for the game from a video that has become popular on the internet recently. You've probably come across a vacuum cleaner trying to sweep up dust from a bottle strapped to its back, one of those Sisyphus memes.

P#132690 2023-08-03 14:32

Cart #kadaratuz-0 | 2023-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

GENESIMS

A simple evolution simulator where you feed your creature with different kinds of food and watch it change step by step. When you feed your creature a total of eight times, it will complete one step in its evolution and level up. Complete all five levels in total to rise up the food chain and eventually reach the perfect organism!

DISPLAY

The timer in the upper left corner of the screen is a cooldown to feed your creature again. At the top right of the screen, you can see how many of each type of food you have given to your creature at the current level.

In the lower left corner, there are three different buttons according to their colors to send different types of food. In the lower right corner is an indicator that shows you how close you are to the next level, and it advances a little with each new food. At the bottom of the screen, the middle number indicates your level.

You can also change the color palette of the game in the start menu and examine the evolution tree to plan your creature's evolutionary development.

CREATURE

Your creature will randomly wander around the screen as long as you are not taking care of it. When you press one of the buttons and give it a food, it will go to the area where the food fell and get it. There are three different types of food: Heart, Star and Plant, and each one directs your creature to a different branch of the evolutionary tree. Whichever food you give more, it becomes more dominant and the appearance of the creature changes accordingly.

The game concept was inspired by a game i played long time ago but i couldn't remember what it was. The design of the creatures are inspired by the asset pack of @egordorichev.

P#132399 2023-07-26 06:39

Cart #tamejomto-0 | 2023-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

SUBMERSIBLE V1

My first game to be released. Inspired from the game "Iron Lung" by David Szymanski.

STORY:

You are searching the deep sea with an old submarine find the sunken ship by arranging the coordinates. Scan the images of the sea floor and locate the shipwreck to complete the misson. Beware of the sea monster that lurks at depths.

CONTROLS:

During the title screen hold "X" to read the story and press "Z" to start the game. During the search screen use arrows to locate the submarine under the sea and press "X" to scan an image of the sea floor by the subramine camera. Scanning can be done again when the timer reaches zero.

Do not spare your feedbacks :)

P#131616 2023-07-04 06:25