[music] all around the rhythm, you and me
by FlyingSmog
Pico Zombie Garden: A PvZ Demake
by FlyingSmog
Galaxy Castle II: Dungeons of Nimbus
by FlyingSmog
SHOW MORE

Cart #aatrunmfs-0 | 2022-06-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Been playing around with the PICO-8 tracker.
Hope you enjoy :)

P#113843 2022-06-30 21:15

SHOW MORE

The zombies are trying to eat your brain! Grow a plant infantry to stop them!
(Warning: not very mobile-friendly!)

Cart #fsgupicozombiegarden121-0 | 2021-04-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A demake of the first world of the original Plants vs. Zombies.
10 levels, 8 different plants, 5 different zombies, 3 complete songs!
I couldn't fit the two mini-games on it, sadly.

My buddy @Gimbernau and I gave ourselves 30 days to do this entire thing, and what a ride it was. Because of the token limit, I decided not to put instructions inside the game, so there's a "How to play" section down below.

I hope you enjoy! If you have some thoughts about the game or if you find any bugs, please leave a comment in the comment section :)

PS.: There is another version of PvZ here in the forum! It's an endless reinplementation made by @gfcarstensen that is super fun! Check it out here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=51588#p

How to Play and Plant Stats

Zombies are coming!
Don't let them get to the end of your lawn.
Stop them by planting some seeds! And if they do get there, there's a lawnmower to stop them on their first attempt.

Gather sun by left-clicking on them.
Use your sun to buy plants!

Left-click on the plant you want to buy and then left-click once again (don't drag and drop!) on a tile to drop your plant. Right-click if you want to de-select your plant.
Each plant has a different power to help you crush the zombies. And everyday you get through, you get a new plant!

If you have your shovel unlocked, you can use it to dig plants off your lawn and free up some space! Left-click on your shovel and left-click again on the tile you want to dig. Right click to de-select the shovel.

The Plants:

Peashooter

Your first plant. Shoots peas at zombies that are on its lane.
Fast recharge

Sunflower

Produces additional sun every 24 seconds.
Fast recharge

Cherry Bomb

Explodes a second after it is planted. Kills any zombies in a 3x3 area centered on it.
Very slow recharge

Wall-nut

What a team player! Serves as a living shield, absorbing an enormous amount of damage.
Slow recharge

Potato Mine

Takes 15 seconds to set up. Once ready, explodes and kills a zombie on contact.
Slow recharge

Snowpea

Shoots freezing peas that also do damage. If a zombie is frozen, its velocity and damage are halved.
Fast recharge

Chomper

Eats an incoming zombie right away, but spends 42 seconds chewing. Rotten flesh isn't a joke...
Fast recharge

Repeater

Shoots regular peas, but twice as fast!
Fast recharge

Credits

• Original game by Popcap Games
  • "Crazy Dave", "Grasswalk" and "Zombies on Your Lawn" are a part of the PvZ soundtrack, made by Laura Shigihara
  • "Lower" prices inspired by @gfcarstensen 's "Endless Plants vs. Zombies"
  • Collision check function by OSM Studios
  • Sprite outline function (modified in-game for sprites of any size) by @Liquidream
  • Print outline function by @24appnet
  • Menu screen inspired by @krajzeg 's "Low Knight"
  • Sorting functions (modified in-game for sorting zombies by lane) by Rik Cross
  • UI inspired by @Krystman 's "Mai-Chan's Sweet Buns"
  • Logo font design by Mortmort

Code and interfaces by @FlyingSmog
    Art and design by @Gimbernau

Thanks to all these beautiful people for the inspiration and the knowledge. And a big shoutout to Popcap Games for this masterpiece.

Me and @Gimbernau are in no way related to or endorsed by Popcap Games or EA Games. This is just a fan homage :)

P#89823 2021-04-01 18:14 ( Edited 2021-04-02 00:02)

SHOW MORE

Cart #picotafl11-0 | 2020-06-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Particles? Who wants 'em! A.I.? Nobody likes it!

Sometimes you just need to make a game in 3 days and not worry about some stuff.

Here's Picotafl Unmastered, a simple 2-player implementation of Hnefatafl in PICO-8!

Hnefatafl is a nordic tabletop game from the Viking Era. Sometimes it's referred to as "Viking Chess", for its resemblance. It apparently was very famous in its day, but Chess came over and left Hnefatafl in the shadows.

I know that most people now (including me) don't have a second person to play the game with, but this will have to do for now. Whenever I have the time, I'll make a very polished version with at least a King's Army A.I.. Unlike Chess, Hnefatafl doesn't have an established way of doing A.I. so I'll have to study a little bit. It will take some time.

Here's the basics:

One player plays as the King and his soldiers, and the other plays as the invaders.
The King's goal is to either kill all of the invaders or get the King piece to one of the corners.
The invaders' goal is to kill the King.

Rules:

• Invaders move first, then players take turns
  • You can only move one piece every turn, to a vacant square along its row or column. No jumping over pieces!
  • A piece is captured when it's "sandwiched" in between two enemy pieces, or between a corner and an enemy
  • The King is captured when it's surrounded by 4 enemy pieces, or the board side and 3 enemies (Latter is a house rule.)
  • If you move your piece in between two enemy pieces, it will get captured! (This is a house rule.)
  • Only the King can be put in the middle square. You can jump over it though

Controls:

• ARROWS to move cursor
  • Z to select and put down pieces
  • X or put the piece in the original place to cancel the move

Credits:

• Heavily, HEAVILY inspired by Pico Checkmate, by Krystman
  • Big font by zep
  • Outline sprite by Liquidream
  • Outline sprint by 24appnet
P#78220 2020-06-18 12:25 ( Edited 2020-06-18 14:10)

SHOW MORE

Cart #galaxycastleii1_1-0 | 2020-06-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OLDER VERSIONS:
Cart #galaxycastleii-0 | 2020-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Play as Ranger the Bounty Hunter and help King Wingarion save the four princesses from the terrible Lord Nimbus!

Ranger is a greedy man... Get the diamonds scattered around the game for some extra difficulty!

LEFT and RIGHT to move
Z to use power/interact
X and/or UP to "advance"
ENTER to pause and access the save game and reset data buttons.

This game started as a gift to my high school physics teacher back in early 2018. Every once in a while I would get in the mood and code a whole bunch of it. And now, it's finally done.

The first "Galaxy Castle" would be the actual physics project that started it all. It's in my WIP page, if you want to play a clunky first attempt at a platformer hahaha.

Hope you enjoy it!

And if you find any bugs, please let me know! Thanks :)

P#77619 2020-06-03 21:29 ( Edited 2020-06-04 14:08)

SHOW MORE

Cart #footloose-0 | 2019-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A Pico-8 version of Footloose by Kenny Loggins. Hope you enjoy!

P#68918 2019-10-16 02:15

SHOW MORE

Play Ping against a bot or a friend!

Cart #picopong_11-0 | 2019-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've seen a lot of pong clones here but there was always something about them that bothered me. So I made my own version, and now I can be bothered by myself.
Oh, and the AI is kind of a buzzkiller, but I guess I find that a little fun too.

I hope you enjoy!

And please, let me know if you find any bugs!

UPDATE LOGS:

V2.0:

• Better A.I.
  • Fixed the perpetual ball thingy
  • Minor bugfixes

OLDER VERSIONS:

Cart #picopong-0 | 2019-04-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#63744 2019-04-20 22:24 ( Edited 2019-04-29 11:18)

SHOW MORE

The Flying Sharks game's music, with original art by @Gimbernau.

Here's the full game:

Cart #shawkksies-0 | 2019-01-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#61145 2019-01-23 21:50 ( Edited 2019-01-23 22:15)

SHOW MORE

Cart #shawkksies3-1 | 2019-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Save the planet from the flying sharks!
Choose your plane and fight for life with four different types of sharks in this endless shooter. Good luck!

Inspired by Arrigo Barnabé's "Flying Sharks" ("Tubarões Voadores", in the original portuguese).

This is my third game and probably the most fun to make. I programmed most of it a year ago and left it behind, and now I've been doing some tweaks here and there for the past two weeks. I've learned so so much while programming this, and I hope I make good use of that for making some more games.

If you find any bugs, let me know in the comments!

Thanks for playing!

Here's the music, solo, with some new art!

CHANGES:

V1.1:

• Highscores! Do your best to beat them!
  • Little entering animation for the planes at the start
  • Score never goes below zero
  • Tiny bugfixes

Older versions:

Cart #shawkksies-0 | 2019-01-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #shawkksies2-0 | 2019-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#61133 2019-01-23 16:19 ( Edited 2019-01-24 21:43)

SHOW MORE

Cart #m00nlander-0 | 2019-01-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Try to land in the pad safely as many times as you can! Land slowly and avoid asteroids-- and don't go past the borders now, cowboy.

Left and right to move, Z to activate engine.

(EDIT: whoa, just saw that dakerfp poster a moon landing game just this week. I did not copy it, in fact, my game has been in the WIP page for over two years. Just a disclaimer. darkerfp's one is really cool too! Check it out: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=60654#p)

Small game based off of a Cartoon Network game back in the day.

Maybe a final version of a project that took too long. My first actual game and a really really fun game to make. After putting it aside for a couple of years, my programming got good enough so I could finish it. So here it is.

If there's any bugs, tell me in the comments!

KNOWN BUGS:

Yeah yeah, the pad is kinda funky sometimes. yolo.

PREVIOUS VERSIONS:

Cart #37430 | 2017-02-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #37202 | 2017-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #37160 | 2017-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#60808 2019-01-14 05:13 ( Edited 2019-01-23 23:06)

SHOW MORE

Cart #46202 | 2017-11-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Saw a Game Grumps episode where they talked about the C64 version of the song, and I loved it. Thought I'd make my own, with some adjustments.

Hope you enjoy!

P#46203 2017-11-12 16:36 ( Edited 2018-06-02 11:36)

SHOW MORE

Cart #45748 | 2017-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #45746 | 2017-11-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #44498 | 2017-09-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #44415 | 2017-09-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Unfinished, but it's a wrap. I'll probably finish it one day.

Press Z to start (I still have to make a menu screen).

Also, a gif showing how the electromagnetism power looks like. It's not in the game though.

KNOWN BUGS:

• Ceiling collision is just broken
  • Floor collision has some weird glitches but it's working fine
P#44416 2017-09-21 05:48 ( Edited 2017-11-01 03:39)

SHOW MORE

Cart #37333 | 2017-02-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

NOT A GAME

Algorithmic Botanic, showing how the sunflower florets sprout. It's called the Phyllotaxis.

Press Left and Right to change the florets' size, Up and Down to mess around with the algorithm. It's a really beautiful thing.

When the algorithm is the "right" one, an exclamation mark show up at the top.

P#37335 2017-02-10 19:01 ( Edited 2017-02-11 00:03)

SHOW MORE

Cart #37430 | 2017-02-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #37202 | 2017-02-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #37160 | 2017-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Try to land in the pad safely as many times as you can! Land slowly and avoid asteroids-- and don't go past the borders now, cowboy.

Left and right to move, Z to activate engine.

Small game based off of a Cartoon Network game back in the day.

Maybe a final version of a project that took too long. My first actual game and a really really fun game to make. After putting it aside for a couple of years, my programming got good enough so I could finish it. So here it is.

If there's any bugs, tell me in the comments!

Changelog:

VERSION 1.0:
ACTUAL asteroids! Plural! Now up to 5 asteroids can roam your screen. And oh god I re-did the whole code cuz it was a mess, and now it looks ooooh darn tootin'.

VERSION 0.3.1:

Took sprite rotation out just because it deforms it too much. Will have a design change soon so I'll probably make it functional in the final release.

VERSION 0.3:

Asteroids! Finally working but they don't separate, so there about 5 asteroids running like one.
Sprite Rotation! Really neat thing but for a sprite so tiny it deforms it a little too much, and I need to correlate the animations.

VERSION 0.2:

Mostly design changes:

Added sound effects to the boosters
SKY: Changed the color to black, added some star and a tiny lil earth
Rocket is now 16x16 and has better art
Pad is now 8x16 and has better(?) art
Lives instead of being a turned off ship are now tiny lil versions of it

P#37161 2017-02-04 21:35 ( Edited 2019-01-23 23:04)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 13:44:40 | 0.132s | Q:79