Follow
thesailor
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #negigupepu-1 | 2024-03-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[ BEAR HUNTER NINJA ]

The rules are simple.

From the three cards offered you get to pick one.

The computer then picks its choice of card from the same selection.

Hunter wins against Bear

Bear wins against Ninja

Ninja wins against Hunter

Will the card you pick win?

P#144795 2024-03-28 06:58

Cart #sekoyijipu-0 | 2024-01-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I started this game last year. I need to finish it.
There's no story yet. It was just artwork I came up with as I really want to build a platformer.
Also I hate how gingers are portrayed as bad guys in movies (as I am one - ginger I mean).

There's mean koalas... and yummy bananas...
There's also double jump.
And a song I got from the forums. I will credit the artist in the game as soon as I remember where I pulled it from.

[ THINGS I HAVE LEARNED ]

• Using bigger than 8x8 sprites
  • Using mulitple collision checks
  • Using tables
P#139810 2024-01-08 12:32 ( Edited 2024-01-09 08:06)

Cart #jajawutiyi-6 | 2024-01-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a game I started at the beginning of the 2023. I wanted to create something simple while learning PICO-8. As you can tell the game is not finished but I am working on completing it during the next few days. I code while at sea and that can be difficult to make progress while working.

There are still things missing. My biggest hurdle is to make the game feel balanced. Right now it is too easy.

[ THINGS I HAVE LEARNED ]

• Using bigger than 8x8 sprites
  • Collision boxes
  • Starting to wrap my head around using functions within tables (OOP?)

[ HOW TO PLAY ]

• UP to JUMP
  • DOWN to SLIDE
  • X to BOOST your JUMPS

[ UPDATES ]

Version 1.1
I loved @taxicomics idea of adding an X button to the HUD and since PICO is so easy to mockup things quickly I added the idea. Thanks!

Version 1.2
Small update

• Added meteors flying in the atmosphere
  • Added sounds and particles to the pickups

Version 1.3

• Added a dialog system
  • Added a tutorial page

Version 1.4

• Music by the talented @Gruber - Space Lizards

Version 1.5

• Just a small update to a few things
P#139799 2024-01-08 10:48 ( Edited 2024-01-19 11:57)

I am struggling to wrap my head around how the Music() and SFX() call functions work. I have a music track and some sfx calls that clash even though I have stipulated that the sfx calls only call on an unused channel. I have also tried to use the channel mask argument for Music() but can't seem to figure it out.

Basically a soundtrack plays while the game is running. Pressing a jump or collecting coins all trigger a sound effect that causes the backing soundtrack (Music()) to skip notes.

Could someone please maybe explain to me how I can have music AND call sound effects properly so they don't interrupt each other?

P#139021 2023-12-22 10:14

I am struggling to wrap my head around creating a function to search though a table for matching positions and then replacing the matching value with a new value.

The idea is for a simple racing game. Every time an obstacle/car leaves the screen it is deleted from the table and new obstacle/car is generated with a new position.

The new position is randomly picked from a list of pre-chosen positions. But this means that there are occasions where the obstacles/cars overlap because they have randomly picked the same positions as an existing obstacle/car already in the table of obstacles.

My rough concept of the idea runs like this...

• Create obstacle table
  • Create new obstacle
    • Check if obstacle table is empty - add new obstacle
    • If not empty
      -- Loop through table of obstacles and compare x/y pos values
      -- If a match is found(overlap) then change the x/y pos of the new
      obstacle BEFORE adding it to the table
      -- Maybe loop again to perform another check???
P#137800 2023-11-23 05:02 ( Edited 2023-11-23 05:03)

Cart #farmbot-3 | 2023-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

FARM BOT

Hey. This is a toy and not a fully fledged game. I was working through @SpaceCat tutorial on YouTube and developed a touch further than where he left off. I learnt a lot from his video as well as, I have to give a shout out to @Lazydev and @DocRob. They all have amazing informative channels on YouTube as well.

EDIT: Also I forgot to thank NerdyTeacher as well. I yoinked the LERP function from the PICO VIEW web zine. Would really be awesome if there was a PDF/printable version of PICO VIEW. Being out at sea with bad internet makes looking up reference hard.

Like I said, this is a toy. I am still learning a lot and have only completed one Fantasy Console game (CHIPPY - LowresNX). But I have to admit that this is far too addictive playing with Pico8.

I dabbled with adding caterpillars as "enemies" but haven't taken it further than spawning them.

V1 - I have added some sounds to play around with the feel. I have also looked at adding character portraits.

• LEFT/RIGHT/UP/DOWN (Movement)
  • Z/O (Selection in the hotbar/Action in menus
  • X (Action button in game/Open+Close menus
P#137514 2023-11-16 10:09 ( Edited 2023-11-23 05:26)