BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Hello I am GeK and I am wondering if anyone could share me some good games since I am new here and I dont how to find some good games so this is the only way I know of Thanks!

P#104929 2022-01-12 23:20

Forgive me if this is commonly known (I am new). I simply want to know how I could set a different folder as the directory for saving existing carts and creating new ones as opposed to the files being saved right in the \pico-8\carts file. Say I wanted to save all of my projects in the folder \pico-8\carts\projects.

P#104927 2022-01-12 22:48

In game code, calling ls() only returns names of cart files.

To make it possible to write local game launchers and other mini-splores, it would be nice to have a way to get directories too (some of us are hoarders and have to organize carts).

Ideas:

ls()     -- same as now
ls(0x2)  -- get directories only
ls(0x3)  -- (maybe) get other kinds of files
         -- (for art tools and such, to build dialogs instead of -i / stdin / drag n drop)

-- or
ls()     -- unchanged
lsdir()  -- new

-- will also need `cd(path)` to go there and list carts, or `ls(path)`

Thanks for considering this!

P#104923 2022-01-12 22:32

Cart #toastling-1 | 2022-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

~ Please go play the original first! ~

A map mod for To a Starling, created in about 4 days after spending a bunch of time speedrunning and testing the bounds of the original. Toastling ramps up the difficulty on most screens, explores the orbs in some different ways, and recontextualizes the map visually. The only sprite edits were recoloring the berries and updating the title; anything in the map designs themselves was done by recombining existing sprites from the sheet!

The original game was created by Peteksi,
With music by Gruber,
And testing by rebix!

There's a discord for speedrunning the original game, feel free to stop in and say hi!

Mini-update 1.13.22: Changed cartdata() reference to not overlap the original game.

P#104913 2022-01-12 20:31 ( Edited 2022-01-13 19:19)

How to update Pico 8. If I use uninstall.exe, it says it deletes all pico data but
will it remove my games, or it is there is a different way than removing pico8?

P#104911 2022-01-12 19:18

Cart #clubpenguinsurf-2 | 2022-01-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

De-make of the club penguin surfing Minigame.

- Controls - 
  • Move mouse up and down to build speed
  • Move the mouse behind the player to slow down
  • Alternate z and x while in the air to flip (Be careful! Landing wrong can throw you off balance)
  • Hold the mouse button while landing to grind
  • Use the arrow keys to perform tricks
  • Moving off the bottom of the screen will make you lose balance
  • Falling too far behind the wave will make you lose balance
    Credits to jihem for their sprite rotation function (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3593)
P#104905 2022-01-12 17:54 ( Edited 2022-02-23 13:28)

Patito Hulk 3: The game

Cart #patitohulk-0 | 2022-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#104903 2022-01-12 17:34

Cart #boids8_19-0 | 2022-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple boids simulation. You can open it in the editor to tweak the settings even further

there are no controls in this cart, but you might want to turn off carts in the menu

P#104897 2022-01-12 16:18

Cart #jowapoziki-2 | 2022-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Inspired by Porklike by @Krystman

HELLCUBE is designed as a disposable arcade-ish roguelike game, basically as a "5 minute game", trying to offer a fast, but hopefully intense and fun gaming experience; Hope you enjoy :D

P#104886 2022-01-12 14:56 ( Edited 2022-01-16 07:40)

~ hey <INTERN NAME>
~ be careful when you boot your computer this morning
~ I left a cartridge in the slot: Intermediate Ideocartography
~ it’s kind of dangerous, but <REDACTED> did the same for me when I was an intern, and I think it’s a major reason why I survived here
~ you have to be willing to take risks
~ some notes about the cart:
~ a. it’s more complicated than the Beginner cart. You can use the arrow keys to move the map directly, gives you more control
~ b. you can also hop from seed to seed in the metalayers, use the mod key (Z) AND the arrow keys to do that
~ there’s an entropy network in place to prevent seed adjacency
~ you’re going to be frustrated but it’s for your protection
~ you can still get to any seed, just some are difficult
~ <REDACTED>
~ <REDACTED>
~ c. now the X button takes screenshots by default, but also saves a gif if you hold the mod button
~ d. you can press enter to get to a menu that lists the controls as well, now that text is permitted that kind of <REDACTED>
~ happy hunting, and be safe!
~ PS: if you find any <REDACTED> in there, msg me directly ASAP

Cart #intermed_ideocart-0 | 2022-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

License: cc-by-4.0
https://bafybeigp4iylbriyjg7mpzpslrw42tqoqtmj2265ucd3xmwppvxvxfig74.ipfs.infura-ipfs.io/

creator: Andrew E. Brereton
date: 2022-01-12
twitter: @aebrer

P#104880 2022-01-12 13:21

The typical external editor workflow keeps a .p8 file open in both PICO-8 and a text editor. The author edits code in the text editor, saves the file in the editor, then presses Ctrl-R in PICO-8 to reload and run the new version. The author also edits sprites, map, sfx, or music in PICO-8, saves the file in PICO-8, then reloads in their editor (automatically in some editors).

To prevent a potential accident, PICO-8 has a failsafe that blocks Ctrl-R with a warning message if it detects that the cart has changed in memory since the last time it was saved from PICO-8 and the file on disk has been updated by an external editor. PICO-8 makes no further attempt to help resolve the merge conflict: it's up to the author to rescue the external edits, save the cart from PICO-8, then re-apply the edits.

This failsafe considers the entire cart—code, graphics, sound—as a single document for this purpose. This makes triggering the failsafe common in the typical workflow: even when the author uses the external editor exclusively for code and the internal editors exclusively for art, failing to save changes in one before making changes in the other will block reloads.

I don't expect PICO-8 to merge two sets of changes to the same section, but it seems like it would be an improvement if PICO-8 can do dirty data detection on each section individually, or perhaps just "code" and "everything else." If PICO-8 has unsaved changes only to non-code and the file on disk has changes only to the code, Ctrl-R can silently load just the new code from disk and preserve non-code changes in memory.

Sound good? Anything I'm missing?

P#104866 2022-01-12 04:04

Cart #orbit_dasher-1 | 2022-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

In this arcade-style game, you need to collect all the items (blue circles) and avoid the enemies (red circles) in a circular stage to move to the next one. To do this, you need to move not only from left to right, but also dashing from one side of the stage to the other, which can be done with the O Button/Z Key. Try to clear as many stages as you can!

Controls:

• Left/Right - Move
  • O Button/Z Key - Dash/Start

Thanks to the PICO-8 Discord server for all of the help and feedback!

P#104864 2022-01-12 01:54 ( Edited 2022-01-12 15:52)

Hey, how do I actually start this? I have PAID for the Pico-8 but I cannot see any obvious way to begin. Help anyone?

P#104841 2022-01-11 23:07

Cart #aerialrave1_0-2 | 2022-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Final jam submission is here on the bbs! The "office" tutorial should hopefully teach how the game works, and address some of the problems people have been having figuring out the game. I've had very little time to playtest it (being a jam and all) so if anything still isn't clear or if you don't like something I'd like to hear your criticism!

P#104834 2022-01-11 21:23 ( Edited 2022-01-11 21:27)

I made a tool to launch your favorite games,
check it out here:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=46049

P#104813 2022-01-11 14:24

Rare Monster Truck

A monster truck game with an ordinary name

This one is mostly aimed for kids and mostly designed and named by a 5 year old, meaning low on challenge but still enough for a bit of fun. Plus who doesn't like monster trucks.

Like my ghost game, the truck IP is totally original. Any similarities with real life trucks is purely co-incidence.

Now start your engines and get to crushing.

Cart #rare_monster_truck-0 | 2022-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#104804 2022-01-11 09:06

Cart #ssc_b0b98_1-0 | 2022-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Z roll the dice
X stop rolling the dice/Continue
(i'm just now realizing how incredibly counter intuitive is to use stop and continue on the same button)

Ship captain crew is a dice game, I learned at a bar.

It can be a drinking game, but I've never played it that way (though I have always been drinking when I played it) I only know it as a basic very short gambling dice game.

The rules are pretty simple. But kinda hard to explain.

you are trying to get a 6(the ship) a 5 (the captain) and a 4 (the crew).

You roll all five dice, if you get a six you take it out and set it aside, same for five and four. Eventually you'll only have 2 dice left. These are your score (sometimes called cargo) you want the highest score.

The catch is that you have to get 6,5,4 in order.

For example if your first roll is 5,5,4,3,2 you get nothing. You must re-roll all dice. You cannot have a captain or a crew without a ship.
You re-roll and you get 6,4,4,3,3. You take the six and set it aside. You can't take one of the fours. You can't have a crew without a captain.
your final roll! 5,4,3,5. You take a five and set it aside then the four. You have eight points.

You could also get lucky, and on your first roll get 6,6,6,5,4 and suddenly have 12 points and stop right there.

• the current highest score is called the point number.

• Always keep rolling until you at least tie the point number.

• You cannot re-roll only one of your final 2 dice. (its easier to code, but it's also the rules, at least at my local bar that plays it)

• In case of tie no one wins. The money stays in the pot, everyone who wants a chance at it pony's up another buck and you go again.

This game should follow the rules as I understand them. They might be regional, I've seen others online claim that in case of tie the people who are tied play against each other, but I like the "let it ride" approach. I've seen a game of roughly 10 people end up with about 50 dollars in the pot due to consecutive ties.

Also the winner starting the next round might be regional, i've seen online people saying it rotates, but starting is actually a disadvantage (it's better to go later) so I think it makes sense for the winner to start.

I might change the rolls to display how many rolls you have left. I'm not sure that'd be better.

I hope to add some weird role playing elements like a luck score that will make dice rolls work out better for you, and also make the CPU players behave differently and have their own luck scores.

Also I want a nice random-ey looking dice rolling animation

P#104802 2022-01-11 08:39 ( Edited 2022-01-11 09:07)

This follows the classic Stable Fluids paper by Jos Stam. Use your mouse.

Cart #simple_smoke-13 | 2024-03-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A few things that would make this better:

• More optimization
  • Higher resolution (if possible)
  • monotonic cubic interpolation for advection (likely too expensive)
  • MAC grid (NOPE - saves a lot of time to backtrace all quantities from cell centers instead. A MAC grid would mitigate some of the boundary artifacts here, but it's just too slow.)
  • vorticity confinement (expensive, but probably the next most important thing)
  • better smoke vis - bilinear interpolation? (almost certainly too expensive)
  • higher resolution for smoke than for velocity?
  • other forces: gravity / heat / etc.
  • better code quality (it's kind of a mess, sorry)

V0.1

• Alternating Gauss-Seidel direction
  • Control number of pressure iterations with left/right
  • Some optimizations thanks to @freds72 (I'm loving the hack for newgrid)

V0.2

• @freds72 pointed out a few more optimizations and bugs (thanks!)
  • Merged all advection together and integrated density decay - saves tons of CPU.
  • Got rid of velocity diffusion - this also saved lots of CPU.
  • Lots more micro-optimizations (pre-multiply dt, split up multiple assignments, treat fg/bg colors as a single unit, etc.)
  • Increased resolution due to all the optimizations! Formerly, at 30fps, this could do 20x20 at 9 pressure iterations. Now it can do 24x24 at 10 iterations.
  • Smoke gets introduced a little slower and fades a little slower.

V0.3

• Sacrificed a little CPU (and a pressure iteration) for some tracer particles.

V0.4

• Fixed weird redeclaration bug that broke this on newer PICO-8 versions

Bonus GIF because it's neat: two vortex pairs approach each other, collide, vortices re-pair and move to the sides.

P#104799 2022-01-11 06:34 ( Edited 2024-03-08 03:34)

Cart #littleroot-2 | 2022-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Littleroot Town theme in PICO-8
It kinda sucks right now so I might keep working on it to make it more like the original

P#104797 2022-01-11 03:55 ( Edited 2022-01-11 04:10)

Pico Tower

Office Tower Simulator

Cart #tomuhikipi-3 | 2022-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

What is this

Pico Tower is a tower simulator in the vein of a scaled-down SimTower or Project Highrise.
Build offices and provide needed services to earn money. Grow your tower and unlock more features as your tower grows in height. Experiment with layouts to optimize travel times for your tower's occupants.

Tips

• Most rooms have an entranceway indicated by a yellow doorway. When building make sure this side is rotated to be accessible.
  • If a meeple is travelling, they aren't making money! Optimize travel times to make sure offices stay profitable.
  • If a meeple cannot find a nearby service they will eventually leave the building to meet their need elsewhere.
  • If maintenance requests are not addressed in a timely manner it will flash RED and reduce office income!
  • Check your finances tab. Upkeep expenses are paid at 10:00PM. Your cash can (and probably will) go negative at times!
  • Maintenance staff comes in at 4:00AM. Office workers at 6:00AM. Workday ends at 6:00PM
  • Leave space for expansion. One stairwell or elevator wont suffice forever

Meeple thoughts

Sometimes thought bubbles will appear over meeples' heads
[8x8]
Destination was full (Will leave tower after a few retries)
[8x8]
No nearby bathrooms
[8x8]
No nearby cafeteria
[8x8]
Could not find path to a destination

Commentary

This is my first PICO-8 cart. I predictably underestimated the token/compression limitations and had to cull many features I had planned, such as more services, office types, transport modes, and save files. Nonetheless I'm satisfied with the result as a tiny tower builder given the limitations.

P#104668 2022-01-11 03:39 ( Edited 2022-01-11 03:40)
View Older Posts
Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 08:22:41 | 0.130s | Q:86