Follow
atomoton

Scientist and digital artist. I just love the Pico-8, a lot.

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #tezartmtl2022-0 | 2022-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

TEZARTMTL2022

This token is a special gift for those who attended #TEZARTMTL in 2022. Huge thanks to the organizers for making this event possible, and to everyone who attended. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

This piece is interactive and a bit playful, so please play with it! To experience the full interactive elements, it is best viewed on a PC or laptop using a USB gamepad or keyboard. If you are using a mobile device, touch control buttons will be visible. If they are cut off, please open the objkt directly via the IPFS link for a better view.

The controls are as follows:

-> up,down,left,right arrows: pan the texture along the torus, you'll see it makes sense
-> X key/X button: keep the colors, reset the pattern
-> Z key/O button: change the colors, keep the pattern
-> pause menu: kiosk mode can be toggled here

When this generator launches, it begins with a random seed. Over time, the random noise on the screen will decay into an emergent pattern. Many (but not all) of these patterns are unstable, heading eventually to a blank screen. The piece launches in "kiosk mode" by default... every 60 seconds the colors and pattern will both reset. This is to prevent the piece from getting stuck on a blank screen. You can disable this in the pause menu, or by pressing any of the buttons.

Thank you for viewing this piece. Have fun interacting with it!

Cheers,

• aebrer

LICENSE: CC0 (you can do whatever you like with it)

P#121861 2022-12-05 19:06

This is a cartridge for a forgotten video game, cheaply and poorly mass-produced by an untested game company. Manufactured by an unknown entity, the title of the cartridge is "The Trace Gallery". Apparently for the 8-chip P8-DTV80 gaming console, this mysterious cartridge was found alongside other known collectables such as Action Man figures and Transformers toys. The label on the cartridge simply reads "the_trace_gallery.p8", and the true identity of its original creators seems to be long forgotten. There is interest in this discovery from parties who also wish to uncover further information about it: all we know is that this cartridge contains kilobytes of encrypted data, which we have not yet been able to access for analysis or reverse-engineering. The cartridge is in good condition, and looks ready to be displayed with pride in any retro collection.

metadata:
a game by aebrer
music and sfx by @CarsonK
find my projects at aebrer.xyz

P#110159 2022-04-12 22:24 ( Edited 2022-04-12 22:44)

license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
(ie. feel free to use it for whatever as long as you cite me)

controls:

• X button regenerates some non-fixed parameters
  • O button opens the debug menu (I encourage you to change parameters, colors, brush configuration)
  • touch/click the screen to paint with the brush
  • on PC: "s" button saves a screenshot, "g" button saves a gif

creator: Andrew E. Brereton
date: 2022-03-04
twitter: @aebrer
medium: Pico-8, Lua

Cart #ideocart_interfere-0 | 2022-03-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#108033 2022-03-04 14:01

Cart #point_of_origin-0 | 2022-01-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

date: 2022-01-27
license: CC-BY-4.0

press either face button to generate a new one
just something fun inspired by Akira

P#105776 2022-01-27 23:52

Good morning <INTERN NAME>.
You've made a terrible mistake.
There's no turning back now.

Cart #ideocart_cntmt_brch-0 | 2022-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

date: 2022-01-16
medium: Pico-8, Lua
license: CC Attribution 4.0 International https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode

P#105322 2022-01-18 15:24 ( Edited 2022-01-19 13:27)

~ hey <INTERN NAME>
~ be careful when you boot your computer this morning
~ I left a cartridge in the slot: Intermediate Ideocartography
~ it’s kind of dangerous, but <REDACTED> did the same for me when I was an intern, and I think it’s a major reason why I survived here
~ you have to be willing to take risks
~ some notes about the cart:
~ a. it’s more complicated than the Beginner cart. You can use the arrow keys to move the map directly, gives you more control
~ b. you can also hop from seed to seed in the metalayers, use the mod key (Z) AND the arrow keys to do that
~ there’s an entropy network in place to prevent seed adjacency
~ you’re going to be frustrated but it’s for your protection
~ you can still get to any seed, just some are difficult
~ <REDACTED>
~ <REDACTED>
~ c. now the X button takes screenshots by default, but also saves a gif if you hold the mod button
~ d. you can press enter to get to a menu that lists the controls as well, now that text is permitted that kind of <REDACTED>
~ happy hunting, and be safe!
~ PS: if you find any <REDACTED> in there, msg me directly ASAP

Cart #intermed_ideocart-0 | 2022-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

License: cc-by-4.0
https://bafybeigp4iylbriyjg7mpzpslrw42tqoqtmj2265ucd3xmwppvxvxfig74.ipfs.infura-ipfs.io/

date: 2022-01-12

P#104880 2022-01-12 13:21

Cart #begi_ideocart-0 | 2022-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome <INTERN NAME> to the Department of Ideocartography!

On the display before you, we have preloaded the "Beginner Ideocartography" cartridge. This is a standard introduction to ideocartography, and is widely considered to be mostly safe to perceive.

Your task is to investigate, within a limited range of colors and textures, for the presence of active entities. As you use the arrow keys to explore your layer of <REDACTED>, please record short descriptions of the images you see, and please note any feelings you experience. Most of these entities should be rendered inert via compression into two dimensions (plus time). If not, press Z to capture a still photo, or X to capture a moving gif, and report immediately to <REDACTED>

Per C.O.17IL98 I am obligated to inform you that there is a combination of keys that the original creator encoded which will remove the color limit and enable <REDACTED>. This creates <REDACTED>, and should not be done without supervision by an ideocartographer of at least rank <REDACTED>

P#104326 2022-01-05 12:37

Cart #inside_the_hole-0 | 2022-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Another art piece based on my WIP graphics engine. This one was inspired by three prompts chosen via a twitter competition:

@notyetmeasured

• "the interior of the hole"
    @ArtikGenerative
  • "lower astral glitch"
    @sourencho
  • "text"

Press Z to open the debug menu, which allows you to change various settings in the visualization. You can also save a looping gif of your creation via the debug menu (under the timing settings).

P#104274 2022-01-04 15:09

Cart #lemniscate_redux-0 | 2022-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is an art piece I made that I really enjoy. Press Z to open the debug menu, which allows you to change various settings in the visualization. You can also save a looping gif of your creation via the debug menu (under the timing settings).

P#104273 2022-01-04 15:05

I've been having a blast lately with SPLORE, and I wanted to share some of the work I've done as well! Here is pico_punks_infinite.p8, the second version of my attempt at a pfp generator. I originally made this as a spoof of generative pfp projects that are being minted as individual NFTs. I think that placing limits on a generator like this ruins the magic of exploring a nearly infinite generative space and finding a pfp that suits you perfectly.

The code itself is a little gross, sorry about that. I was in a chaotic mood when I made it. I use the p8scii characters to draw everything on the screen, no shape or pixel primitives.

Controls:

• press Z or reset the cart get a new starting position
  • each seed is displayed in the top left
  • the digits after the decimal represent your position in the "multiverse", and can only be changed by resetting
  • left/right moves one seed
  • up/down moves ten seeds
  • press X to save a screenshot without the seed and text on it, this is so you can use it as a pfp if you want

Hope you find it as fun as I do!

Cart #pico_punks-0 | 2022-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#104272 2022-01-04 14:54

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 15:11:35 | 0.291s | Q:53