BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #wildtrip-3 | 2021-04-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a work in progress which started out because my sinc3 tests for 0x0808 looked like landscapes..

Next job is to replace the sinc3 landscape as it's way too expensive (took it from 60fps @ ~0.5 cpu to 30fps)

Job after that is to add yet another endless generator so I can start actually doing the game rather than the background renderer...

Update 1:

Ended up keeping the sinc3, but inlined it for performance. The main performance killer now is the tline sky, so I'm adjusting my goals to aim for 30fps. I've altered the draw distance and hill frequency settings in this version to reflect that.

I've made a few improvements to the hill system to make the levels look more planned.

Level names are somewhat centred now, but I forgot to update the cart image to show that..

I'll probably experiment with adding objects to the renderer next, so I've something to write their generator against.

Update 2:

Few more performance tweaks, added temporary player and improved sky and camera logic. There's a bug where sky flashes occasionally which I'm working on a solution for.

Update 3:

Still not fixed the sky bug, I've been putting it off to get a better idea of what the complete engine will look like. This version adds quite a few new menu features and some visual polish, but is still a long way from being a game. The next features I'm working on rely on the sky bug being fixed (and switching from tline to map, with some additional work in the landscape renderer to cover this change), so it's about time to sort that out I think.

P#90039 2021-04-05 22:20 ( Edited 2021-04-22 11:21)

Cart #dtekopyu-1 | 2021-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

DESCRIPTION

You woke up today and decided to make a pie. You found a helpful recipe card in a drawer somewhere, but to your dismay found a woeful lack of the required ingredients! Your quest is to find the required ingredients and bake a pie!

CONTROLS

• Arrows: Move
  • Z/N: Look at pie recipe
  • X/M: Interact with an object

Interact with stuff! If it doesn't help to further your pie-goals, at least it might have some entertaining flavor text!

CREDITS

All the coding, art, sound design, etc. was done by yours truly.
Special thanks to the Pico-8 discord for being helpful and answering my questions!

I got ahold of Pico-8 about 2 months ago, and I started working on this about two days into learning it, so... this took longer to make than I was thinking. But I think it's cute, and I learned a lot, so I like it!

P#90037 2021-04-05 20:50

Hello and Welcome to an EPIC ADVENTURE (the epic is a joke).
This is my first game that i Created with Pico 8, so please don't be so hard on me if you don't like something in it.

-Controlls-
Walking = ←↓↑→
Inventory = x
Close Sign = c
Restart after you are dead or after you've Won = x

-Short Explanation-
You are a thing that want's to get in the house.
So you just search for a Key.
If you notice anything Strange like a talking Tree, just ignor it... PLEASE!

-What I wanna see from you-
Yes I want a bit help from you.
I want that you post in the comments any sort of suggestion for this game, because I want to improve the game.

I really want to see a Speedrun of this game, so if you want to make me happy please do it.

Thats all have fun :]

P#90036 2021-04-05 20:46 ( Edited 2021-04-05 21:44)

Cart #gesadupito-2 | 2021-04-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PicoVox

version a2

Old versions

Cart #gesadupito-0 | 2021-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PicoVox is a voxel art creation program for Pico8.
--Use your mouse to add, remove, and recolor blocks on an isometric grid.
--Render ray-traced images and rotation animations of your pieces
--Save and share your creations in the form of data PNGs
--Import data PNGs from others by dragging them onto PicoVox

saving and import

Click the disk icon to save your work. A PNG will be generated that contains the voxel data for your scene. This file can be posted on the BBS or social media.

To open a file, simply drag the image on top of the running PicoVox application window.
(Saving and opening may require standalone Pico8 and not work on the BBS web-player. TBD)
See example save image below:

mouse support

PicoVox requires a mouse to function properly, though it may work "ok" with a touch screen. With a mouse and the block tool selected, left mouse places blocks and the right mouse deletes them. The scroll wheel can be used to zoom in and out and clicking and holding the scroll wheel will cause the model to rotate.
If you do not have a right mouse button, you can delete blocks by selecting the black color with the red slash in the color palette.

rendering

PicoVox can render images in a dithered Pico8 palette using ray-tracing. Special rendering features include transparency, reflection, glowing, as well as shadows and ambient occlusion.
Click the camera tool to start a render, which will save to the desktop by default when complete. (Generally rendering takes around 10 seconds and will be interactively displayed while it progresses.)

The loop icon will render a rotation animation as a gif to your desktop by default. Please note that this will take a long time to render all of the frames. Currently, the animation render cannot be canceled so please remember to save your work before starting.

new scene

To change the width, depth and height of the scene, click the "clear scene" tool. Note that this will erase your current file.

tools

block: add blocks
brush: paint color
cam: render
floor: toggle floor
disk: save
bucket: fill color
hand: pan
loop: render animation
doc: clear scene
?: info text

blocks

solid block
transparent block
mirror block
bright block

colors

select color
black is erase

keys

arrow keys rotate view
z+arrow: pan
shift+up/down: zoom
x: quick render

wmouse

left: add block
right: del block
middle: rotate
scroll wheel: zoom
shift+middle: look at

P#90020 2021-04-05 16:46 ( Edited 2021-04-09 01:54)

Cart #yigapiyodo-0 | 2021-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

HISTORY

During a nightly military maneuver, you are abducted by a UFO and taken to the mothership. You must escape from each of the 10 rooms discovering the correct activation sequence until you are taken with the leader!

HOW TO PLAY

Arcade mode

Turn on the four switches in each level by press down when you are near one.

You must activate in a certain order; If the order is incorrect all the switches will be deactivated and you will need to start the sequence again.

Avoid collisions with enemies and falling through floor holes.

Collect the falling boxes to get improvements for your weapon and avantages over enemies.

Endless mode

Collect as many boxes as you can to get improvements for your weapon and avantages over enemies.

FEATURES

-2 game modes arcade and endless

-10 levels with final boss in arcade mode

-8 bit sound and music

-Lowres pixelated graphics

-Classic arcade/platform gameplay

-Created with PICO-8

-Online and windows/linux/mac/raspberry versions

CREDITS

-Player sprite based on Kacper Wozniak sprites (used with license)

-Compress maps technique by dw817

-LUA Code, graphics and sound by Oscar BraindeaD

BINARIES

You can get the game binaries for Win, Linux, Mac and Raspberry at:
Take me to your leader - Binaries

Thanks for playing!

P#90017 2021-04-05 14:13 ( Edited 2021-04-05 14:29)

Cart #wokawupef-0 | 2021-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#90015 2021-04-05 13:24 ( Edited 2021-04-05 13:49)

Cart #zusetimezi-0 | 2021-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#90014 2021-04-05 13:19

Cart #donswelt_musashi-2 | 2023-02-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Valentine's Update v1.2 ❤️

I updated most of the visuals of Crazy Samurai Musashi and you now have an additional heart/life. Love is in the air. And blood. Here's what else is new:

• More detailed sprites
  • Added heat effect to sun
  • Added stars to the night sky
  • Reworked the blood splatters
  • Added dirt splatters to running swordsmen
  • Added a skull to appear when you slay an enemy
  • New sound effects
  • Fixed the flipping of the moth animation
  • Added the moth to the title screen because why not?
  • Added Pliso Miso splash screen

Quick Fix v1.3

• Added an option to skip the slow beginning for experienced players (suggested by @baker 👍)

Original Post

A.k.a. Miyamoto Musashi versus 400 Yoshioka swordsmen. This is a tiny game I made after watching the movie of the same name.

You are Miyamoto Musashi and you have to duel 12 year old Yoshioka Matashichiro. Since he is only 12 years old you don't really have to fight him but you did. History said so. So here are 399 more of Yoshioka's swordsmen who all want you dead. Try to defeat them all! I don't think it's possible.

Attack upper stance swordsmen with a low attack and lower stance swordsmen with a high attack. Good luck.

I also added a little achievement system (I call it pawchievement xD ). Press the down arrow key in the title screen to check achievements.

P#90013 2021-04-05 12:17 ( Edited 2023-02-16 09:41)

If you keep increasing the Y value of the cursor, things get weeeeiiird. First, the CPU usage goes out the roof. Second, there's a weird area in the corner that obscures the text. Here's a bit of code that will reproduce the problem:

function _init()
    y=110
    f=0
end

function _draw()
    cls(1)

f+=1
    if (f%20==0) y+=1
    cursor(0,y)
    print("hai")

print("cursor_x:"..peek(0x5f26).."\ncursor_y:"..peek(0x5f27).."\ny:"..y.."\ncpu:"..stat(1),0,0,7)
end

And this is what happens:

P#90006 2021-04-05 10:00

I noticed this while looking at load/save behavior for my QoL idea.

You can load a file that has no extension, because load will try the raw filename first without adding an extension.

However, when you save that file, it will automatically add ".p8" to the name, possibly overwriting an existing file while not overwriting the file you actually loaded.

Probably not going to happen much in practice, but potentially disastrous when it does happen.

P#90002 2021-04-05 09:07 ( Edited 2021-04-05 09:08)

At the command prompt, if you try to load a filename with no extension:

load somefile

It'll try these in order:

somefile
somefile.p8
somefile.p8.png

It'd be nice if #include worked the same way.

e.g. with vector.p8 in the same folder:

#include vector

I think simply re-using the logic from load would work, because it behaves exactly the way I'm suggesting.

As for Lua files, it's probably best if the .lua extension has to be typed out explicitly, because you're essentially leaving the sphere of PICO-8 by using a raw lua file and it makes sense that PICO-8's name abbreviation would not apply. Plus this is the same behavior load already uses, so minimum effort required. ;)

P#90000 2021-04-05 08:54

Cart #p3-0 | 2021-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#89987 2021-04-04 22:44

Cart #noregogoza-0 | 2021-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

The result of following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1wvvbVQ5zo&list=PLdLmU93eWisKpyk1WZywUSYAq5dkCPFIv&index=1

P#89986 2021-04-04 21:44 ( Edited 2021-04-07 19:19)

I'm working on an SFX that is supposed to sound like a bicycle bell, well actually an ice cream bell. Here's what I have so far:

[sfx]

Do you find it convincing? Do you have advice on making it better? If you have a better SFX of a bicycle or ice cream bell ding, please share.

P#89978 2021-04-04 15:12 ( Edited 2021-04-04 15:52)

Cart #antivirus-0 | 2021-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my first attempt at a pico-8 game, a Dr. Mario clone with a silly 80's aesthetic. It was written over about 3 days, just for fun but some friends suggest I publish.

There is a secret game mode to unlock if are able to win virus level 20, but I've never managed so if you want to try it (super virus mode), tap left, right, right, left at the virus load select screen.

I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did writing it.

EDIT fixed a small bug where score did not update correctly

P#89970 2021-04-04 13:06 ( Edited 2021-04-06 07:10)

Second post in less than half an hour!

I think this bug exists because @zep might have been a bit lazy when coding cursor changes for code tabs, so instead of checking if there's an actual tab in the position, he just made the cursor change when it is in a certain square where the tabs could be. To be fully honest, I don't blame him. Most of us here are programmers and you can't say you never get lazy with something in code.

TL;DR: Cursor changing doesn't check if tab is actually there.

P#89969 2021-04-04 12:53

Got some random inspiration from @thattomhall's "Who stole the coal?", specifically the graphics, so I decided to start my own little thingy. It uses Screen Mode 2, for those who are curious.

Story:

You are Unnamed Wizard, and you're hanging with your friends, when some Big Bird King who calls himself "Haponke" swoops down and steals your wand! Now, according to WizTown law, all who call themselves "Wizard" and don't have a wand are outcasts and should have their backside kicked into the Great Beyond. You know this, so obviously, you RUN!

On the way out of WizTown, you find a strange, L-Shaped, steel thingy. Carved on it, are the words "GLOCK-19".

"
 Alright then! Guess I'm going back to town.
  "
    - You, 5 seconds ago

Don't have much yet, but I hope to release a demo soon!

P#89967 2021-04-04 12:45

A helpful function to create a scrolling menuitem.

function menu(i,opt,func)
    local indx=0
    menuitem(i,"< "..opt[1].." >",
        function(b)
            if(b==112)then
                func(opt[indx+2])
                return
            end
            indx+=b*4-6
            indx%=#opt
            menuitem(i,"< "..opt[indx+1].." >")
        end
    )
end

Demo:

Cart #dobuidowat-0 | 2021-04-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#89955 2021-04-04 04:31

My question is, how do you add enemies to a game, do you use tables? Use local values in a function? Or some other way?

P#89947 2021-04-04 01:19

I'm trying to randomly select a value from an array.
I expected this to get me a random index in the array, but I'm getting the same every time.

stmp={-130,50,500,1000,1500,2000,3000,3500}
 strt=rnd(#stmp)
 t=stmp[ceil(strt)]
 print(#stmp)
 print(strt)
 print(t)

Always prints:

I've used rnd() in other carts but I've never encountered this behavior before, please advice.

P#89940 2021-04-04 00:04 ( Edited 2021-04-04 00:04)
View Older Posts