BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Zelda-Like Project

Thanks in advance for trying it out. Stay tuned for updates!

v0.6

Cart #zeldalike_project-6 | 2022-06-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A small but major step has been added, you can now enter and exit doors. While they currently all go to the same place it is still a bit step towards building dungeons and shops and secrets! Aside from that, I made some small fixes like the character's hitbox size to make it easier to through tight spaces. I fixed some minor map transition issues that caused soft locks.

Though I may not keep it, I'm also experimenting with the alt colour pallet for the caves and dungeons to give it a darker feel.

v0.5.1

Cart #zeldalike_project-5 | 2022-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Fixed a few tiny issues I overlooked. The map UI now better represents the world map and your position on it. Player hit box has be reduced by a tiny amount to make navigating tight spaces a bit easier.

v0.5

Cart #zeldalike_project-4 | 2022-05-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The map has been expanded, this is generally what the overworld map SHOULD look like in the final version. Unfortunately still only octorocks as enemies, but hopefully I'll be able to make some new ones at some point soon. Lots of nooks and crannies to explore, I tried to catch all the buggy transitions so I hope that players won't get stuck anywhere. I also solved (I hope) a couple bugs with enemy spawning. Firstly they would often spawn in on top of you making you take instant damage when loading a new area. This has been remedied by making it so the first 16 pixels on all edges will never have enemies spawn. I also solved a bug that caused the game to crash do to an endless loop. The enemies would sometimes never be able to all spawn causing the game to crash, now if they fail to place an enemy 20 times, they break the loop making for some areas that spawn less enemies than the normal amount.

Well I hope you guys enjoy this update, I had a lot of fun creating my own Hyrule with a few iconic landmarks hidden in the map.

v0.4

Cart #zeldalike_project-3 | 2022-05-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

We now have something of a loop, you can fight, you can die, you can continue to fight again!

A lot of small things have been added, such as sound effects, consumables, death, useable bombs. I feel like things are progressing well. only problem is I'm at 5173 Tokens. Well the MAIN systems are now in place, so I HOPE it will be less token intensive to get the rest going well.

v0.3

Cart #zeldalike_project-2 | 2022-05-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's starting to resemble a game little by little!

Enemies have been added with simple AI, collision detection is working as well so you are able to kill them with your sword! Enemies can hit you as well, if your health drops do zero, however, you do not yet die. That will be implemented by the next version.

I had a lot of trouble with this stretch, but it always came down to small mistakes that I had to find and correct. I improved the collision detection though. So it will be much easier to implement directional shields and such.

v0.2

Cart #zeldalike_project-1 | 2022-05-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I now have map movement working and a little 2 by 2 map for players to explore. With this being implemented, now I am able to expand the world. Things have been moving very smoothly and I'm hoping that I'm able to keep up this momentum with development.

v0.1

Cart #zeldalike_project-0 | 2022-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I decided to work on a project to learn Pico8 better as well as to challenge myself as a game developer. As is probably apparent to anyone familiar with Zelda 1, this project is heavily influenced by it. I'm hoping to add to it and eventually have a functional playable game at the end of this project.

Please note, I'm trying to figure out everything on my own as a challenge, but feedback and recommendations are appreciated.

P#111638 2022-05-10 22:37 ( Edited 2022-06-06 22:52)

Cart #shark_attack-3 | 2022-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#111621 2022-05-10 17:32 ( Edited 2022-05-10 17:53)

Cart #speedsnake_ai-9 | 2022-05-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is an implementation of an algorithm that plays snake very well. It's based on a path through all board cells and calculated shortcuts to get more efficiency.

Controls:
X - show/hide the path

Menu items:
ALG - controls which variant of the algorithm is used.
SPEED - Snake's speed, lower = faster.
SNAKE - Change snake visualisation.

The path was generated based on a Hilbert curve. It would work with any path that goes through all board cells, but the Hilbert curve has some nice properties and looks.

I have implemented two variants of this algorithm here, togglable in the menu. "Tail" algorithm tends to follow it's tail very closely when it can't get directly to food. "Blocky" algorithm curls on itself until it has a clear path to food resulting in big patches of snake body later in the game. I believe "Tail" is more efficient than "Blocky".

Algorithm explanation:

General idea

If there is a path through all cells of the board the snake can just follow it forever. It will reach all the food and grow to the maximum size. It will be quite slow though, having to go through an average of half of the board's area to reach every food. It can be made quicker in the early game by making some shortcuts.

Path preparation

The path is described as a 16x16 grid of cells. Each cell stores coordinates of the next cell on the path. They are also assigned consecutive numbers from 0 to 255 according to their order on the path. Each cell will also store some metadata during the algorithm execution.

What shortcuts are allowed?

Obviously only shortcuts that get the snake closer to its goal should be used. In addition, to ensure safety, every shortcut should bring the snake closer to its goal on the path, meaning that every cell of path between the snake and its goal remains empty, and the path between the snake and its goal only decreases. A reasonable approach is to make steps that skip over as big parts of the path as possible, but that isn't efficient on a Hilbert curve path because sometimes following the path can lead to a larger skip than just taking every possible shortcut.

The goals

Another thing is deciding what the snake's goal is. If the snake always went straight for the food it would quickly run into itself and die. In order to ensure its safety it must never overtake its own tail on the path. This means that if the path is clear between the food and snake's head it can target the food, but if it isn't it has to find some other target while waiting for its tail to get out of the way. The 'Tail' algorithm the snake will target the cell right behind its tail (according to the path). This way it's trying to go as far as possible so it has a good start when the path to the food is finally clear. If the 'Blocky' setting is ON the snake will just follow the path until there's a clear way from it to the food and only use the shortcuts for getting to food.

The Algorithm

Each frame the best cell to move to is calculated from the snake's head. Cells are scored like this (lower is better):

1. If the cell already has a score metadata stored return that score.
  2. If the cell is at the goal, score is 0. Save the score as metadata and return 0.
  3. Set best score to 2000 (arbitrary big value more than the cells on the board).
  4. For each neighbouring cell do:
    a. It it's not between the currently evaluated cell and the goal on the path, ignore it.
    b. Otherwise, get it's score using this algorithm.
    c. If it's smaller then the current best score update the best score.
  5. This cell's score is best score + 1.
  6. Save it as metadata of this cell, and return it.

All cells adjacent to the snake's head that are further along the path are evaluated and the smallest one is chosen. Remember, the goal doesn't have to allways be the food, and the path should always be clear between the head and the goal, so choose your goals carefully!

Complexity and final regards

This algorithm has O(n) time complexity where n is the distance from the head to the goal, which is never bigger than the size of the board, so I would call that a good one. PICO-8 can process it at 60FPS for a 16x16 board. It also has O(n) space complexity where n is the size of the board, which is the same as the game itself.

My explanations tend to be all over the place, so if you are confused about anything feel free to ask!

Inspired by: Code Bullet (YT)

P#111610 2022-05-10 13:32 ( Edited 2022-05-11 08:01)

Post game requests here for https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=47699

if possible put:

CATEGORY (ONLY ONE):
game
tweetcart
tool

game name
author
any tags you feel apply (multiple tags are fine)
cart ID

(if enough jam games are put here, a jam category will be added)

P#111611 2022-05-10 11:56 ( Edited 2022-05-13 13:50)

Cart #dragdropv1-0 | 2022-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple mouse drag and drop code snippet.

P#111593 2022-05-10 01:34 ( Edited 2022-05-10 01:35)

Tscherno Jump 1.0

Follow the arrows! Dodge the cats! Avoid the Sawtraps! This game is bloody - bloody diffcult!

Cart #yuyitewaho-1 | 2022-05-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tscherno Jump is a demake of a game that unfortunately never saw the light of day, by @Asebist and me.

You only need one button, Tscherno and his clones will automatically follow the arrows on the ground, except if you want to jump over them or need to jump an obstacle. Try and figure out the fastest way through the levels!

How to play?

• press X/O to start running, arrows change your direction
  • collect all coins in a level to finish
  • run into cherries to spawn two clones besides you
  • sometimes you need to lose clones strategically to remove obstacles
  • only one Tscherno needs to survice to score
  • try and beat your best times in speedrun mode

play it on itch

What is in the box?

• 36 challenging levels
  • multiple obstacles and types of arrows to tickle your braincells
  • speedrun mode
  • level editor (save ~144 maps)

Is it truly done yet?

well, probably not, it needs:

• more levels and a shallower learning curve
  • feedback feedback feedback

How to use the Level Editor?

• press "ENTER" and select "NEW MAP" or "OPEN EDITOR"
    use the ARROW KEYS to move the edit cursor
    press "M" to add an object
    press "N" to delete an object
    use ARROW LEFT / RIGHT to choose an object to place
    use ARROW UP / DOWN to change direction or subtype of object
    press "M" to place the object or "N" to cancel
  • press "TAB" to save the current level to a string
    in the code you can add this string to the levels table or send it to me to add it to the final version of the game if you built something cool :)
  • press "ENTER" and select "CLOSE EDITOR" to save the map for the session
    you will "testplay" this map immediately
  • press "ENTER" and select "SELECT MAP" to play the map again later
    new maps get added to the end of the levellist

Feedback and help are much appreciated

if you´ve got levels you want to submit, please go ahead and share your level string
also if you want to support this game with proper music, it would be much appreciated
other than that, every feedback helps as well :)

P#111580 2022-05-09 21:05 ( Edited 2022-06-21 06:12)

Cart #themepark-1 | 2022-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Arrows: Move cursor around the screen.

x: Select tool/menu/option.

z: Return to previous menu.

How to play

Take an empty field and turn it into the next big Theme Park!

Select the Tools to access the build menu. Start by placing paths, shops and your first ride. Watch out for the cost of the buildings to be sure to not run out of money. Guests will be attracted to your park over time and spend money at each of your rides and shops. Be sure to keep them happy by providing them with rides, food and toilets.

As you save more money, better rides become available for you to build. Try to build them all and keep track of your park records.

Tips:

Happy guests will attract more visitors.
Guests will lose happiness if they are hungry or need the toilet, so be sure to spread these around your park.

Background

My second completed project for the Pico 8!

This started as a test for myself to build an efficient pathfinding algorithm for use in Pico 8. The test started with just paths and up to 2500 guests walking to different parts of a maze.

This is the first time I had struggled with the token limit and towards the end I was really squeezing extra space out of my code to finish the project, and more squeezing can be done still I am sure!

I had a lot of fun building this project, and although it is not very long, I hope you can have fun playing it too!

Credits

Game created by Joseph

@JosephMakesGame

P#111559 2022-05-09 14:00 ( Edited 2022-05-10 11:18)

The manual describes layers, the optional last argument to map(), like so:

> LAYERS is a bitfield. When given, only sprites with matching sprite flags are drawn. For example, when LAYERS is 0x5, only sprites with flag 0 and 2 are drawn.

To me, this example indicates that only sprites with both flags set should be drawn. However, testing shows that sprites with either flag set will be drawn.

Cart #pederick_mapflagtest-0 | 2022-05-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

If this is as intended, can the manual be updated to say "or" rather than "and"? Something like this:

> LAYERS is a bitfield. When given, only sprites with at least one matching sprite flag are drawn. For example, when LAYERS is 0x5, only sprites with flag 0 or 2 are drawn.

P#111550 2022-05-09 12:36

Notice

You won't be able to use the teleporter (mouse) because it's used to debug, not a part of the game.

Hope you enjoy.

Cart #cc2-4 | 2022-05-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#111552 2022-05-09 12:23 ( Edited 2022-05-30 07:41)

Cart #kareriropo-0 | 2022-05-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#111538 2022-05-09 05:06

Cart #matamunapa-0 | 2022-05-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#111536 2022-05-09 02:37

Cart #gb_momday_22-2 | 2022-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

VER 0: Initial release
VER 1: Fixed shading under left M
VER 2: Date said 2020, changed to 2022

P#111532 2022-05-08 21:57 ( Edited 2022-05-08 23:27)

Cart #pico_splore_os-1 | 2022-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi everyone. This is a remake of
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=46049

a few sprites borrowed from (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=111394#p)

Features:
-select games, tweetcarts or toold
-filter by any number of tags
-filter instead by author
-mouse controls (switch to keyboard in menu)
-probably many bugs
(if no games fit, the list of games will just be the full list)

if you want to see a game added, post it here
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=47759

P#111393 2022-05-08 21:39 ( Edited 2022-05-10 21:36)

Cart #kobold_compulsion_matrix-0 | 2022-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CW: Mind control subtext, disorienting imagery. (pulsing, strobing, you name it) Some mildly suggestive language.

This is a Rubik's cube that is also a slot machine that is also a roulette wheel that is also an endless runner. It's probably not a TF trigger. That would be ridiculous.

P#111521 2022-05-08 19:17 ( Edited 2022-05-08 19:35)

I was exporting a sound for testing and I just did

export .wav

And this made the file ".wav" which is great and all.. But on mac files starting with . are hidden..
So I'm not sure if this is a issue or not but I had to check if it existed with a ls -a
And I guess I'll go delete .wav and .png that are just sitting around...
(Oh! and also forgot to mention since pico takes this . hidden stuff for .DS_Store and such into account I couldn't find it with ls either.)

P#111520 2022-05-08 19:03 ( Edited 2022-05-08 19:09)

Cart #dunjon-0 | 2022-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#111516 2022-05-08 17:20 ( Edited 2022-05-15 00:05)

Cart #matrix_screen-0 | 2022-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is not a game, it's more just a vfx test and my "Hello World" to the bbs

This is a little project I worked on for a couple hours. It uses @Krystman particle effects function as a base but everything else was made by me. I learned a lot of things while making this, like how to use the chr() function.

Thanks for checking this out.

P#111507 2022-05-08 13:31

Cart #jiwumutigi-1 | 2022-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello this is my first game and the lasers just don't do what they're meant to

Instead of firing one at a time they just come out in a stream

I'm doing the magpi spaceshooter tutorial and I've looked at the code for it and it is the same as my code

I really need help

thanks

[#Drone to Home v0.1#]

P#111506 2022-05-08 12:53 ( Edited 2022-05-08 13:01)

Cart #deathbyballoon-0 | 2022-05-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Use left/right to control Pop Knight. Bounce into balloons to wall jump. Menu to restart or use training mode.

Upon attacking Bouncy Castle, Pop Knight slipped on a puddle left by a fierce water balloon battle, which caused him to fall down the castle wall. Since he still has things to live for, help Pop Knight extend his life as long as possible before he will inevitably meet his untimely demise.

This game was created for Ludum Dare 50 in 72 hours. The theme was Delay The Inevitable. Post your high scores in the comments.
Special thanks to Lazy Devs Academy and Gruber for their tutorials.

P#111503 2022-05-08 11:13 ( Edited 2022-05-08 11:23)

Tscherno Jump

Follow the arrows! Dodge the cats! Avoid the Sawtraps! This game is bloody - bloody diffcult!

Cart #yuyitewaho-0 | 2022-05-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Tscherno Jump is a demake of a game that unfortunately never saw the light of day, by @Asebist and me.

You only need one button, Tscherno and his clones will automatically follow the arrows on the ground, except if you want to jump over them or need to jump an obstacle. Try and figure out the fastest way through the levels!

How to play?

• collect all coins in a level to finish
  • run into cherries to spawn two clones besides you
  • sometimes you need to lose clones strategically to remove obstacles
  • only one Tscherno needs to survice to score
  • try and beat your best times

play it on itch

What is in the box?

• 36 challenging levels
  • speedrun mode
  • level editor and save up to 144 maps

What needs to be done for the game to be finished?

• add music and sfx
  • more levels and proper balancing
  • feedback feedback feedback

How to use the Level Editor?

• press "ENTER" and select "NEW MAP" or "OPEN EDITOR"
    use the ARROW KEYS to move the edit cursor
    press "M" to add an object
    press "N" to delete an object
    use ARROW LEFT / RIGHT to choose an object to place
    use ARROW UP / DOWN to change direction or subtype of object
    press "M" to place the object or "N" to cancel
  • press "TAB" to save the current level to a string
    in the code you can add this string to the levels table or send it to me to add it to the final version of the game if you built something cool :)
  • press "ENTER" and select "CLOSE EDITOR" to save the map for the session
    you will "testplay" this map immediately
  • press "ENTER" and select "SELECT MAP" to play the map again later
    new maps get added to the end of the levellist

Feedback and help are much appreciated

if you´ve got levels you want to submit, please go ahead and share your level string
also if you want to support this game with music, it would be much appreciated
other than that, every feedback helps :)

P#111481 2022-05-07 20:54
View Older Posts
Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 02:16:10 | 0.250s | Q:103