Follow
hijongpark
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #tegzer-3 | 2023-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my attempt of demaking japan's best selling action game (according to sierra online's claiming) THEXDER.

The mysterious asteroid called 'NEDIAM' had captured weapon development ship 'Leifina' with strong magnetic force.

Before starving to death, the crew members of Leifina decided to send the Hyper Dual Armor prototype TEGZER into NEDIAM to deactivate the magnetic force generator in it and escape.

NEDIAM is appearantly a very hostile entity with various defense systems who destroy anything that is not a part of itself. You may not get out of there alive, but your noble sacrifice will save many lives.

How to play :

Press X button to use laser. In humanoid form, the laser automically attacks all accessible targets, and in jet form it simply goes straight.
Holding laser in humonoid form allows you to moonwalk.

Press O button activates shield, in the exchange of 10 energy. Shield is the most important key to survival in NEDIAM. Use it wisely.

Press down in humanoid form or the opposite direction in jet form to transform. In Jet form, you can fly around and get into narrow tunnels.

Some NEDIAM defence systems give you energy when destroyed. Don't miss them !

Don't waste your time. If you spend too much time in the level, you will be embushed by deadly misssile squads.

P#123348 2022-12-31 06:08 ( Edited 2023-05-24 00:13)

I'm trying to make a thexder demake for pico8, and this is an mock up image.

I'm trying to use 3x3 tiles for the map with thexder being 9X12 and enemies being 6x6, instead of 8x8 tiles as they are too big for thexder's gameplay where the player can transform as a jet to get into narrow 3 block tunnels.

Since pico8's map can only support 8x8 I need to make my own mapping to use smaller 3x3 grids.

tilex = {}
tiley = {}
for i=1,252 do
add(tilex,1)
end
for i=1,126 do
add(tiley,1)
end

I tried making two arrays of each x and y variables, and the tiles are suppossed to be drawn at the position where both tilex[?] and tiley[?] equals 1.

for i=1,42 do
for i2=1,42 do
local xck=(player.x-20+i)+1
local yck=(player.y-20+i2)+1
if xck>0 and yck>0 and xck<=#tilex and yck<=#tiley and tilex[xck]==1 and tiley[yck]==1 then
sspr(0,24,3,3,-2+i3,-2+i23)
end
end
end

the entire screen has space for 42X42=1764 tiles, but displaying all those tiles with sspr like adove code makes a bad result. it already uses half of the cpu that I imagine it will be really unplayable when players, enemies, and other systems are all thrown in.

I really have no idea efficiently utilizing 3x3 tile mapping, can anyone give me some hint to make it as efficient as using 8x8 tiles in pico8's default mapping ?

P#120793 2022-11-16 11:23 ( Edited 2022-11-16 11:24)

I had been trying to install pico8 on my retropie for months but still no success.

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/24127/how-to-install-the-pico-8-on-retropie-for-dum-dums

the part driving me crazy is "6. INSTALL WIRINGPI".

I seriously can't get how to install this thing properly. One of my attempts resulted in crashing my retropie and I had to reboot and reinstall retropie, removing all the retroarch configurations I made. I don't want to repeat that ever again...

the guide says to enter Pi $ prompt, but since i'm not a raspberry pi expert I don't know what that thing is, and I couldn't find further guides too.

P#110780 2022-04-24 10:19

Cart #spherebuster2-2 | 2022-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my last pico8 vector game project and a sequel of my first pico8 game, Sphere buster.

Multiple gameplay options are available to make it play like either asteroids or asteroids deluxe.

I kinda burned up making vectors so I'll make pixel games again after this project. I'll also dig tic-80 to port some of my pico8 games and make new games that utilize its superior performance and more buttons.

Anti-aliased vectors by elice and freds72.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=49754

P#100867 2021-11-27 03:06 ( Edited 2022-04-27 23:46)

Cart #picoarace-1 | 2021-11-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a demake of Midway's only vector scan arcade game 'Omega race'.

Bounce around the arena and destroy all droids.

Since the original game had a spinner to rotate the ship, I added mouse control mode to rotate and aim as fast as spinner.

Due to resolution and cpu limitation the number of droids and mines are limited to 10 and 6.

P#100663 2021-11-23 05:41 ( Edited 2021-11-23 12:48)

Cart #picofury-0 | 2021-11-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a demake of Sega's first colorized vector scan arcade game Space Fury.

You must fight with alien commander's entire fleet. Occasionally attach weapons to increase your firepower.

Since I didn't like some designs of Space Fury the gameplay had been changed a bit :

• You can always dock with weapons after the wave.

• instead of the fixed screen the camera chases the player so you can always see the enemies ahead.

• enemy ships' merging point is displayed.

Pressing O in the title screen to switch the control type.
Classic is same as the original, and modern rotates the ship in time pilot style.

P#100106 2021-11-14 07:50 ( Edited 2021-11-14 07:50)

Cart #picoff-3 | 2022-04-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a demake of The world's first co-operative shooter, Rip Off.

You must protect fuels from pirate ships at all cost.

The players have unlimited amount of tanks, but once the pirates steal all your fuels it's game over.

there are 6 types of pirates that has different movement speed and maneuverability. if you defeat all 6 waves of pirates, you get an additional score when destroying pirate ships.

I personally didn't like that the original game tends to end way too quickly so I added some changes :

• Enemies' maneuverability are slightly nerfed, but now each waves have 4 (one more in coop) pirates in max difficulty.

• If you managed to defeat all 6 waves, you get a bonus fuel.

About Options :

1. Number of fuels : number of fuels to protect. 8 or 16.

2. Bonus fuel : getting a bonus fuel after 6th wave. Disabling it makes the game closer to the original.

3. Level down : If pirates managed to steal fuels you get a punishment. if 1 fuel is stolen you have to repeat the same wave, and if they steal more than one you go back to the previous wave. Disabling it makes the game to keep progressing even if you lost fuels.

4. Enemy num : Max number of enemies. increased spawns 4(+1) enemies, original is same as rip off.

5. p1 & p2 accel key : setting the acceleration as O button or up for each players.

6. color mode : setting the color mode as colorized or black and white like the original game.

P#99627 2021-11-05 14:06 ( Edited 2022-04-27 23:49)

Cart #armorpico-2 | 2022-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my attempt of Porting a vector scan arcade game Armor Attack to pico8.

Control a combat jeep and destroy enemy tanks and helicopters.

Tanks require 2 shots to destroy, 1 shot only disables its movement.

Destroying helicopters increases the bonus score you get when you completely destroy a tank, and Destroying 5 of them gives you an extra jeep while resetting the bonus score.

Press O button in title screen to select accel key as Up or O button.

Due to pico8's environments the gameplay had been changed quite a lot :

• Much simplified playfield

• lower resolutions means less space to move, Be careful when tanks are surrounding you.

• No co-op mode.

• The original game suffered from a programming oversight, where the player can easily destroy helicopters by facing the wall and spamming bullets. In this port the player's bullet need to last more than 3 frames to hit the helicopter, so you can't abuse this trick. Instead, I have nerfed the helicopter's speed so you can outmaneuver and shoot them.

P#99446 2021-11-01 02:44 ( Edited 2022-04-26 00:35)

Cart #picocastle-6 | 2023-11-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pico Castle is a demake of Cinematronics' Star Castle featuring Felice's anti-aliased vectors and freds72's color support.

The objective of Pico Castle is destroying the Pico Castle by removing its shields and penetrating one bullet into it while avoiding or shooting 3 sparks (4 sparks in Hard difficulty). Destroying Pico Castle gives you a bonus life.

Just like the original game did, this game is time based. the difficulty increases in every 30 seconds (15 seconds in Hard difficulty) and after 5 minutes(2 minutes and 30 seconds in Hard difficulty) the game permanently stays at the maximun difficulty level.

It's not an easy game to master, but it's also very addictive once you did.

Controls :

O : Thrust

X : shoot

Left / Right : rotate ship

P#99100 2021-10-25 01:29 ( Edited 2023-11-26 10:50)

Cart #turmoil-0 | 2021-10-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a demake of a game called Turmoil from various 8-bit computers.

The gameplay is a 2D Tempest, you quickly move around 7 grids and shoot incoming enemies.

Sometimes an enemy called 'Prize' appears at left or right bottom. if you release fire button (I did this because I hated unintentionally moving horizontally when playing Turmoil, and it gives a bit more depth to the gameplay as you shouldn't hold the button all the time.) and move the ship to it, you can earn big points. but if you don't grab it in time it will turn into a Supersonic Cannon Ball.

press left or right to select starting level from 1 to 9.

P#98741 2021-10-16 11:23 ( Edited 2021-10-17 00:11)

Cart #defenderexample-0 | 2021-10-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a tutorial cartridge for making a defender clone in pico8.

Features :

• Seamless wrapping.

• Player's controls and camera movements.

• Enemy's shooting AI on the seamlessly wrapped area.

• Pixel perfect sprite-based collision.

• Checking if the object is within the screen or not.

• Scanner.
P#98377 2021-10-08 10:25

Cart #defender-9 | 2022-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a modified version of my Stargate for pico8 to make it identical to its predecessor, Defender.

Controls :

X - Fire laser

O - Hyperspace

O while holding X - Smartbomb

About smartbombing pods : If you smartbomb pods when there are more than 2 pods in the level, the smartbomb will wipe out both the pods and swarmers at once. otherwise swarmers will survive !

Since there were tons of tokens left after removing stargate contents, I added scoreboard and various gameplay options :

Start lives - number of lives at start. number of smartbombs at start is lives+1.

Bonus at - the required score for extra live and smartbomb. 0 means no bonus at all.

Humanoids per planet - number of humanoids in each planet. 1 to 10.

Waves per planet - Number of waves until moving to the new planet. 0 means never moving to new planet.

Start difficulty - Initial difficulty of the game.

Max difficulty - hardest difficulty of the game.

Risky hyperspace - when it's set to yes, the player has a potential of causing self-destruct after using hyperspace. No means you will always be safe after using it.

Fire on release - when it's set to yes, you can fire laser by both pressing and releasing the button like atari-8bit port of defender, which allows to rapidly fire laser without too much effort of mashing the button.

P#98278 2021-10-06 14:27 ( Edited 2022-04-26 00:37)

Cart #stargate-12 | 2022-04-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Warning : Just like the original game did, this game's visual effect may cause photosensitive epilepsy for some people. Be careful if you had a hard time playing the original defender or stargate.

This is a port of Eugene Jarvis' legendary title Stargate, a sequel to Defender.

I did my best to make it as faithful as possible but the difficulty is intentionally lower than the original, so it won't be so frustrating.

Protect 10 humanoids from the aliens and prevent the planet destruction. Your new friend, Stargate will help your mission by quickly sending you to the desired area when a humanoid is in danger. By collecting 4 humanoids and getting into stargate, you can warp 3 waves.

Controls :

X : fire laser

Z : Invisto

Z while holding X : Smartbomb

Z when you had ran out of invisto : Hyperspace

P#98182 2021-10-04 02:42 ( Edited 2022-04-26 00:36)

Cart #warriorofcayuse-8 | 2023-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

you are a pilot of MD530F Cayuse warrior.

pilot this tiny helicopter and complete your challenging missions !

You have two kinds of missions : ground attack and rescue.

in ground attack missions, you have to destroy all given targets in the level.

in rescue missions, you have to rescue the hostages and carry them back to your base.
you get a bonus helicopter if you success this mission, but if half or more of hostages are killed the mission is considered as failure and you can't get that bonus.

during the mission, enemy aircrafts (self-destructing drones, gunships, and bombers) will appear to stop you. if you heard aircraft warning sound, watch your radar and fight or avoid them carefully.

by landing at the base, you can rearm weapons and repair the helicopter.
if you press X while landing at the base, you can switch the main weapon between minigun and rockets.

minigun has large amount of ammo and fast firerate speed, which is useful for anti-air and anti-personel but it can't damage armored enemies or buildings.

rockets can damage armored enemies, but its slow projectile speed and less amount of ammo make it hard to deal with aircrafts.

your helicopter can take 2 gunfires, but everything else (flak cannons, shells, bombs, rockets, and walls) can destroy it with one hit.

controls :

X : Fire main weapon / drop bombs when facing center / switch main weapon

Holding O while facing sides : face the opposite direction.

shortly tapping O while facing sides : face the center.

Pressing O while facing center and holding left or right : face the desired direction.

since I had ran out of tokens I couldn't add scoreing and leaderboard. just try and see how many missions you can complete.

P#97333 2021-09-15 06:14 ( Edited 2023-05-24 00:15)

Cart #zerkybot-13 | 2023-11-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You are a poor humanoid who are trapped in the evil face's fortress.

This giant fortress is made of harzadous electric walls, and The evil face and his guard bots are chasing you.

you must escape this horrible place with a laser pistol. but nobody knows if there's actually an exit...

Controls

D-pad : move

D-pad while holding O or X button : shoot laser pistol.

Option instruction

1. extra life : gives an extra life every time your score exceeds the assigned point.

2. evil face : when evil face is smiling, he will appear in the game and chase you. when frowning, he won't appear in the game.

3. start difficulty : the difficulty level at the start of the game.

4. max difficulty : the highest difficulty level allowed in the game.

5. robot AI : In Classic mode, robots always shoot at you ignoring the walls and can collide each other.
    in Improved mode, robots don't shoot when there's a wall between them and you and they won't collide each other when there are less than 4 robots.

Special thanks to Alan McNeil for making one of my favorite arcade game - Berzerk.

P#96665 2021-08-30 06:06 ( Edited 2023-11-24 11:13)

Cart #spherebuster-4 | 2021-08-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my First PICO 8 project, Sphere buster.

It plays just like asteroids, press left or right to turn the ship, press Z to thrust, X to shoot, and hold down to activate shield.

you must destroy all enemies on the screen including spheres, saucers, and magnet missiles. after the regular wave, a bonus wave starts where you destroy blue aliens, get 3 different weapon power ups and shield recharger, and can't wrap around the screen. If you die in this wave, you automically pass to the next regular wave.

Every 5th wave features giant spheres.

you get a bonus life after every 1000 points.

Some tips :

• Yellow saucers are deadly, especially after 5000 points. Move the ship and activate the shield wisely to survive.

• manually pressing X is faster than holding to fire.

• the shield's energy decreases when the shield is collided with enemies or absorbed bullets. you can't use shield if the energy ran out.

Any feedbacks are welcome!

P#96337 2021-08-22 13:19 ( Edited 2021-08-25 06:56)

Cart #woyimijezi-0 | 2021-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I'm making my fitst pico8 game, and I'm trying to make an AI that shoots the bullet at where the player would be at once the bullet reaches it, so avoiding bullet won't be so easy like the small saucer's shots in asteroids does.

when i used game maker, I could easily implement it by using this example:https://www.gmlscripts.com/script/intercept_course

but since pico8 uses completely different langauge and there is no arcsin() function, it was impossible to replicate it for pico8.

function asin(y)
 return atan2(sqrt(1-y*y),-y)
end

local mex=s.x+4
local mey=s.y+4
local targetx=player.x+4
local targety=player.y+4

s.shootdir=atan2(targetx-mex,targety-mey)*360

local targetspd=dst(player.x,player.y,player.x+player.dx,player.y+player.dy)
local targetdir=atan2((player.x+player.dx)-player.x,(player.y+player.dy)-player.y)*360

local sdir=s.shootdir

local beta=(targetspd/s.shootspd) * sin((targetdir-sdir)*3.14159265/180)

s.shootdir+=asin(beta)*180/3.14159265

bulletdx=cos(t.shootdir/360)*t.shootspd
bulletdy=sin(t.shootdir/360)*t.shootspd

this was my trial of replicating the code in lua. similar to game maker's direction, 0 is east and 90 is north. but it didnot work properly, the enemy shoots the bullet at strange angles.

local mex=s.x+4
local mey=s.y+4
local targetx=player.x+4
local targety=player.y+4

local effientx = ((targetx-mex)/(s.shootspd/2))*player.dx
local effienty = ((targety-mey)/(s.shootspd/2))*player.dy

s.shootdir=atan2((targetx+effientx)-mex,(targety+effienty)-mey)*360

bulletdx=cos(t.shootdir/360)*t.shootspd
bulletdy=sin(t.shootdir/360)*t.shootspd

I have tried this as well, it seemed to work fine at first glance, but after more testing I realized that the enemy don't precisely aim the bullet at the moving player.

Does anyone know or give some hint about making prediction shooting in pico8's language ?

P#96080 2021-08-16 03:10 ( Edited 2021-08-16 07:45)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 21:01:59 | 0.098s | Q:67