isol8: Build & Isolate
An original arcade game inspired by old-school games like Jezzball and Qix.
How to play
You must build horizontal and vertical walls in order to isolate the bouncing balls from each other. Once all balls are separated, you will proceed to the next level. If a ball collides with your wall while building, you lose a life. An additional ball is added each level, up to a maximum of 15 balls.
- Play with either 1, 3, or 5 lives (Easy, Normal, Hard)
- Try "Endless" mode where you cannot die
- Restart current level in the pause menu, if needed
- Hand-chosen background color and ball color changes every 5 levels up to level 100
- After level 100, the colors are randomized every single level
Notes for developers
- A flood-fill algorithm is used to determine if the balls are isolated. Here is a super helpful resource on different implementations of flood fills: link.
This game was originally designed for the upcoming Playdate device (crank to build walls). I have adapted it for pico8 as my first game on this console.
- Version 3 | 08/25/21
-- Added indicator guide lines
-- Added alternate control scheme (Pause during game and press "Toggle Controls")
--- Toggles between default (X to build vertical, O to build horizontal) and new (Hold either X/O then press Up/Down to build vertical wall or Left/Right to build horizontal wall)
- Version 2 | 08/22/21
-- Added music to the title screen
- Version 1 | 08/20/21
-- Bugfix ball/wall collision issue - fix player position rounding error and additional wall overlap check
- Version 0 | 08/20/21
-- Original release