BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #priestvsdemons-8 | 2024-06-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#149626 2024-06-08 11:14 ( Edited 2024-06-29 09:04)

this is my first creation with this software, and my first game in general!

you can move the guy with the left, right, and up buttons!

can you get to 300 points?

update 1.4
6/22/2024

-added a new mode you unlock after beating both normal and hard modes! good luck.

Cart #spootfruitcatch-6 | 2024-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#149614 2024-06-08 03:42 ( Edited 2024-06-22 19:47)

Cart #yessirski-1 | 2024-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#149589 2024-06-07 15:47

Cart #tarohrisi-0 | 2024-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #tarohrisi-0 | 2024-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#149584 2024-06-07 14:41

as you can see, its not visible. text is, in fact, not there in general. not sure if its BBS's fault or not, just haven't seen it being mentioned anywhere.

P#149575 2024-06-07 12:16

Just something I have been working on. I wanted to see if anyone likes the satisfaction, or should I add more?

Cart #lost_in_space-2 | 2024-06-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#149568 2024-06-07 02:47 ( Edited 2024-06-07 16:42)

Cart #wejufegetu-0 | 2024-06-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi again, im here for help...

Does anybody know a quick trifill method? i know @electricgryphon had one somewhere but i didnt find any info about it. i have a simple 3d draft thing with vertecies and lines, but im yet to make it colored, i cant figure out how to, really(no tris no fill, mfw). If anyone knows and can explain, please, do.

Also i wander, ZEP's 3d dots demo uses weak persp projection, right? do... all 3d softwares use weak projection? is there any difference between regular one? is this even a thing? i heard it being mentioned in one of 3d tutorials and i cant really get what it means(ortho projection with depth- whaaaa isnt it just regular persp projection????)

thanks beforehand, just want you guys to know that i love this little community!!!

P#149546 2024-06-06 18:02

Cart #quantumsamurai-7 | 2024-06-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

this is a small puzzle platformer I worked on four years ago that I had never finished. It's a type of foddian game where you quantum(ly) shift between levels, always remaining at the same position within the 16x16 grid (with some small hud text up top to help you keep track).

I wanted to embed it in a portfolio so I uploaded it here. For some reason people were actually enjoying it and managed to get to where the level ends (which I never expected to happen since it's very difficult).

so anyway I spent a day finishing the game, because why not?

the additions include:

• new set of levels to cap off the game
  • an end to the game (which unlocks color palettes)
  • palette buttons now won't work until after you've beaten the game once
  • speedrun timer

thanks for playing!

P#149516 2024-06-06 02:01 ( Edited 2024-06-08 04:53)

Duckling

So basically over some time now i've been working on this cute multiplayer game.
And I think everything is done, except the music. Thats because I cant make very good music, and I think that the game deserves better. So if someone wants to make music for a game (check out the gifs) I can send them the game per Discord.
Im not sure where I could ask, so i figured out I can just ask here.

Thanks in advance :)

P#149037 2024-06-05 18:24

Cart #reaperdeath-0 | 2024-06-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#149490 2024-06-05 15:34

Cart #garbage_collector-1 | 2024-06-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, this game is an expanded version of NerdyTeachers' Fruit Drop tutorial and has been really important in my ability to actually start understanding code. If you're like me and really want to make games but don't understand coding just yet, make sure to start small and make sure to ask questions even if they make you feel a little dumb. It's worth it I promise you! NerdyTeachers' website under bitesize games has been really helpful to me and I really recommend it if you don't know where to start. Huge thanks to everyone on the Pico 8 discord server for helping me out and NerdyTeachers especially for breaking down a ton of core concepts for me to understand. I look forward to making more small projects and asking more dumb questions!

P#149466 2024-06-05 06:27 ( Edited 2024-06-09 03:04)

Hello, I reported this race condition on itch.io but got no replies so I am posting it again here, in case somebody stumbles on it.

This problem happens when the cart data is in use and the cartridge is quickly restarted.

Consider the following code:

value = 0
frame = 0
function _init()
  cartdata("race_condition")
  value = dget(0)
  dset(0,0) -- set value to 0 for next reload with ctrl+r
end
function _update()
  if btnp(5) then
    dset(0, (value+1)%10) -- increase value by 1
    run() -- reset cartridge
  end
  frame += 1
end
function _draw()
  cls()
  print("current value: "..value, value+1)
  print("frame: "..frame)
end

If you look at it, the expected behavior would be that:

• If you press X, the stored value should increase by 1 (modulus 10) and then the cartridge should restart and load that value.
  • If you reset with Ctrl+R, no value is set so it should be reset to 0 because of the dset(0, 0) at the end of the init.

Notice however, that if you run the cartridge and press X, there are 3 possible outcomes:

• Value gets reset to 0.
  • Value stays the same.
  • Value increases by 1 as intended, but this only seems to happen if the cartridge ran for more than 60 frames.

So my belief is that there is a race condition between the dset() calls of the different times the cartridge is reset, and they fight to write in the cart data.

This behavior seems independent of the target platform, you can try it here:

Cart #zayihumope-1 | 2024-06-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#149464 2024-06-05 05:50

Cart #gonidubufi-0 | 2024-06-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

no-way-out is a retro style puzzle game. You wake up alone in a strange room, can you find you way out?

Controls

• arrow keys - movement
  • Z/C - grab block / use item
  • X/V - cycle through items

About

This is the first game I made for a game jam and the first complete game made with Pico8!

P#149447 2024-06-04 21:26

I tried to export trial of the sorcerer but I had some errors one of them was that when I tried to start the first level of the game it said download failed and I couldn't start the first level,
another error was runtime error params a nil value in initlevel line 268 (tab 0)
or something?

I really don't know wether if this game can be exported or not. I just want to play it offline when wi-fi isn't around that way I won't use up a hotspot or mobile data.

P#149432 2024-06-04 18:18

Hello, I have been working with Pico8 and making games for two months.
I'm currently making a rhythm game and implemented rhythm notes, but I found a problem where they were not synchronized with music().
I understood that rhythm notes must be added once every 60 frames to match spd16's music.
Perhaps the music output and frame do not match. Is there a way to do this accurately?

P#149422 2024-06-04 14:42

Cart #teddblue_monv8-0 | 2024-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mon Engine Version 0.8

• Move loading bug fix
  • Wild encounter pools
    • Wild encounters are selected randomly from a weighted list
    • Each map can specify which pool to select a Mon from
    • Wild encounter data load
    • Map data can store a byte referencing their wild encounter pool
  • Text input system
    • simple arrows to move cursor, [X] to add a letter, [O] to delete a letter
  • saving
    • save to .p8 file
    • load from .p8 file
  • Start menu
    • load save file if present
    • start new game if save file not present
    • enter name for character
    • pick colors of character
  • Monster catching
    • uses experimental petting system
    • youll see the player character move back and forth during catching
    • hit [X] as the direction changes to up chances of a catch
    • numbers at top-left of screen give info on the catching
    • first number is stage in battle, second is catch chance, third is the amount catch chance was changed on last tap

Other Developments

Ive decided a name! at least for now im calling it oscimons (subject to change). "Oscilation" was the only word i could fit well with "mon" that had to do with the creatures. In addition, I plan on redoing the battle system again but with better a designed turn system. Thats going to be on a waitlist until other features are ready. I'm starting a job soon so please be patient to all 2 people that are keeping up with this.

Next Time

I plan on going ahead with adding the image loader ive been working on, so im pretty excited! Ill also add a mon info screen for the worldmap. then a few smaller things i havent gotten around to yet like structure collision, trigger zones, etc. but some of those features are pretty big and will wait longer.

Anyways

leave any questions, comments, concerns, and advice down below!

P#149397 2024-06-03 20:13

Cart #college-0 | 2024-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#149393 2024-06-03 18:43

BLARGAZARG

Cart #blargazarg-0 | 2024-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

its blargazarg.

P#149394 2024-06-03 18:43

Although it is still a prototype, I have created a toy that dynamically generates sounds using PCM functions :) I am thinking about how to make this even more interesting.

Cart #zazaharudo-0 | 2024-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#149387 2024-06-03 16:35

Cart #nominal_puffin-0 | 2024-02-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first attempt at creating a PICO-8 game! It definitely has room for improvement, and hopefully by working on more projects, I can get there. But first, I definitely want to credit some folks.

The idea for this cart is based on a submission for the 2018 My Famicase Exhibition by Rutherford Craze. The exhibition is a call to artists for box art for fictional Famicom games. I used the box art and provided description of the "game" to help craft this cart.
Here's a link to the site with every submission for 2018: https://famicase.com/18/index.html
And a link to Rutherford Craze's website where the process of creating the box art for Nominal is detailed: https://wiki.craze.co.uk/nominal

As for the music, I used track #4 from this PICO-8 cart by Gruber: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=29008. I am extremely appreciative to all the generous people who provide music and artwork when I have so little ability of my own in those departments.

Now, about Nominal!

Story:
You run one of the shadiest shipping companies in the galaxy. You were scraping by just fine until you lost the delivery of a very influential client. Now, they're sending bounty hunters to collect. Flee to the outer reaches of the galaxy by taking delivery jobs to fund the trip, while avoiding bounty hunters that have been instructed to shoot on sight.

Gameplay:
Each level has two space stations, several planets, asteroids, and possibly enemy ships. You start each level idling around the starting station:

The level ends when you're able to complete your delivery by reaching the destination station:

To conserve fuel, you must 'sling' your ship at the proper angle to get caught in another planet's gravitational pull. To sling the ship, simply press X when you're ready.

In the event that you miss-time your launch, you can always course correct the ship. Mid-flight, you can press the X button again to stop the ship and pull up a trajectory selection:

When the red marker is facing the direction you want the ship to travel in, press X again to confirm. Be aware that course correcting uses a unit of fuel though, so choose your moments wisely! If you decide to cancel your course correction, just press the O button to exit the trajectory selection and continue on the path your ship was travelling.

Slinging yourself across the galaxy isn't always safe though. There are obstacles that can damage your ship and prevent you from completing a delivery. Planets have a gravitational pull that will keep your ship in orbit, but if you stray too close to an asteroid, your ship will take 1 unit of damage and the level will restart.

Asteroid:

Planets:

There are also bounty hunters around that will fire if they see your ship. Skirt past them or risk getting hit with their lasers and taking a unit of damage to the ship.

Be aware that taking damage also means you need to get your ship back into operational shape - so a fee will be incurred and taken from your total funds. Completing each level and "delivery" will reward you with a random amount of money. Between levels, you can choose to spend your hard-earned cash on extra fuel or repair any damages to your ship.

Controls Overview:
While the ship is idling around a planet:

• Press O to pause

• Here you have a choice to restart a level - be aware that restarting will reset your fuel to the level it was when first attempting the level, but your ship will incur +1 damage
  • Press X to send the ship on a line trajectory

While the ship is travelling:

• Press X to stop the ship
    • Press X again when the cursor is at the desired trajectory
    • Press O to cancel and continue on the current trajectory

While on the mission prep screen:

• Use the up and down arrow keys to navigate selections
  • The left and right arrow keys will increase/decrease quantities
  • Use O to move back a step in the menu
  • Scrolling down to "Begin Next Delivery" and pressing X will confirm any purchases and start the next level
P#149385 2024-06-03 16:33 ( Edited 2024-06-03 16:33)
View Older Posts