Follow
Parlor
SHOW MORE

Hey!

I've been considering using the generic pause menu along with a few added menuitem() entries to save some space. I'm not crazy about the entry to close the menu being labeled "Continue," when I've got a custom item just below it labeled "Load Last Save," (specifically on my title screen and my player death screen.

Is there a way to change the language of the default pause menu items, or even hide that "Continue" entry altogether in this use case?

Thanks!

P#53891 2018-07-01 10:35 ( Edited 2018-07-13 14:08)

SHOW MORE

Cart #54546 | 2018-07-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Woo! 1.0!

I really appreciate all of the feedback you guys have given me.

• Use bombs to destroy inactive beacons
  • A beacon that is currently being used as a checkpoint cannot be destroyed. To destroy the last beacon, you'll need to use the checkpoint inside the ship's cockpit, which will deactivate all beacons.
  • The "double jump" for the game is actually just an upwards attack (with a power up). It can be used in conjunction with the roll to clear pretty good sized gaps.
  • Once you get the dodge-roll, you can use it to overcome some fall damage if you roll as soon as you hit the ground (parkour!)

Hope you like it! Any and all feedback is always welcome.

P#46528 2017-11-20 18:52 ( Edited 2017-11-20 23:52)

SHOW MORE

Cart #19532 | 2016-04-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game about impractical architecture.

I wanted to see if I could make big levels by randomly connecting 16x16 tile chunks. If I can manage to optimize this thing a little bit, I'd like to add more items, monsters and map bits and consider adding local co-op (that would be pushing it, token-wise).

There are a few collision issues that might cause game-breaking failures.

In any event, I learned a ton. I'd love to hear what you guys think of it!

Quick Update: I removed some of the background clutter. It felt way too busy.

P1
z - attack
x - shield (if you have one)
left and right - move
up - jump
down - enter open doors

P2
w - attack
q - shield (if you have one)
s and f - move
e - jump
d - enter open doors

----v0.8.0-----
-skeletons now have shields
-skeletons will now stop, attack and block instead of just running around
-added red slimes that are slightly tougher for some variety

----v0.8.5----
-I've improved the collisions (still needs work!), so hopefully the player can't escape in ways they're not meant to.
-if item drops do manage to fly out of the map, they're destroyed instead of crashing the game
-player now only lunges forward during an attack if they are also defending (shield out)
-player continues to face the enemy if they are knocked back
-I reorganized a lot of the code and managed to shrink my token use from 7933 to 7018, so I've got more room to build new stuff. Still considering local 2player co-op
-Boom. The Pico-8 is rad.

----v0.8.6----
-I've added some new equipment
-fixed the player shield
-added code to start thinking about local co-op, but I'll have to consider some kind of new HUD to show both players equipment and health. If you want to mess with the early implementation, uncomment the init_object(player, 24, 112) functions on lines 742 and 754

----v0.9.5----
-tons of new stuff!
-still tweaking the collision detection against objects!
-local co-op!
-10 new map chunks!
-including new graveyard areas!
-some new equipment!
-exclamation points!

Unless any crazy bugs pop up that I just have to fix, I'll probably fill up the space I've saved for equipment, update the HUD and Death screens to work with 2 players and call this thing completed.

----v1.0.0----
-I think The Wee Dungeon now contains everything I'd hoped to implement. Time for a new project!

----v1.2.0----
-Maybe I lied about being done. Been thinking about the game and how much more I can squeeze into it
-hitpoints are shown on attacks
-there's now a progression to item drops, so you don't pick up weaker equipment
-spikes don't kill you immediately anymore if you have equipment (otherwise they do)
-added a few enemies
-probably created a few more bugs, we'll see!

----v1.2.2----
-inching ever closer to the token limit, i fixed the kickback that happens when you're touched by a monster.

After looking through one more time, I'm calling the Wee Dungeon done!

----v1.2.3----
revised the unfair trap room.

--Thanks as always for looking! Any and all feedback is most appreciated.

P#18865 2016-02-17 20:26 ( Edited 2016-10-08 10:08)

SHOW MORE

Cart #15772 | 2015-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This one started as an attempt to dig through the Celeste cart and learn something about structuring my code a little bit better. And a stupid pun. I'm posting this super early version to keep myself accountable to finish it.

In terms of gameplay, I'm kind of making it up as I go, so any thoughts or crits are welcome!

Thanks for looking! more to come!

Arrows - Move
C - Jump
X - Hammertime

P#15773 2015-10-24 08:54 ( Edited 2015-10-24 12:58)

SHOW MORE

Cart #15314 | 2015-10-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

After upwards of 50 unfinished games and ideas over the years, Pico-8 has given me the constraints I needed to keep my overambition in check and release one into the world.

While the game is short and simple, it served more as a way to explore a style and tone for a potential future project. I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out (other than some sound effects problems that I'll fix eventually.)

Any feedback is welcome!

P#15316 2015-10-12 13:45 ( Edited 2018-08-21 19:19)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 03:43:51 | 0.074s | Q:18