Log In  
Follow
WeeblBull
Follow

Cart #midnightdrive-0 | 2022-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | Forks ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA
5

This is an exercise in whether I could and not whether I should try and write a primitive 3D engine within 1024 compressed bytes. Turns out I could but visually it would've been better to fake it. Nevertheless, I thought I would upload it here anyway. As it's pretty rough I won't enter it officially into the jam. It would be interesting to see how people from the community who are more proficient go about the same challenge.

It lacks any depth ordering so I put some dithering in there which I wanted anyway and helps mask the problem. Similarly I thought it would be cool to have a street light effect on the "road" so dithering was used there. It also has some really ghetto hacks to prevent clipping.

Thanks @freds72 for the tri fill code from SupaHex.

Maybe this one's better overall:

Cart #midnightdrive2-0 | 2022-09-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | Forks ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA
5

P#117618 2022-09-18 17:45 ( Edited 2022-09-18 19:09)

Cart #supahex1k_r2-0 | 2022-09-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | Forks ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA
8

Entry for the PICO-8 1k Jam, where only code is allowed (no sprites or audio) and compressed size is limited to 1024 bytes.

This is a demake of Super Hexagon. Controls are just left and right - avoid the walls for as long as possible! After game over, the game will reset after a short pause. High scores are saved.

Credit for the smallest triangle fill code goes to p01.

Revision 2: removed a remark (facepalm), made a small increase to the wall gaps, tweaked the game over screen to be quicker and wait for a button press, reduced flashing of timer a bit. 4 bytes free but can't really use them anywhere. Thanks for the feedback all.

P#117151 2022-09-10 18:52 ( Edited 2022-09-10 23:47)

Cart #witness8b1-1 | 2022-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | Forks ▽ | No License

This is a WIP demake of The Witness, a puzzle game released in 2016 on PC and subsequently consoles and phones. Although the original game was more involved (no spoilers here in case people haven't played it), the core mechanic involved drawing lines on boards to satisfy the logic of symbols placed on the board.

I'm uploading now as (I hope) I've just finished the logic on the "tetris piece" blocks which are arguably the most tricky to implement, though rotating versions still need to be written in. The original game was brilliant in introducing new symbols in a progressive way, so the player learnt the nuances as they played. I'm hoping my scaled-down finished version will do this too, so I don't want to spoil by explain the logic here. Hopefully there will be some players of the original here that can give this a play and let me know if there are any bugs.

Press Z/O to start drawing a line and X to cancel. When the end of the line is at the exit point (the nub that extends outside the grid), press Z/O again to see if you were correct. Currently the line is moved by the smallest grid increment but I'll change this to jump to "intersections" to speed up drawing.

There are six levels in this build and you can skip to the next one from the pico-8 menu. Levels are written to memory in the format I want to pack them in the end, then indexed and loaded.

Todo:

Mirrored lines
Testing multiple exits
Title screen and level select menu
Level editor
General polish

Changelog:

210116: Fixed issue with invalid starting moves (thanks for flagging, @dw817)
210116: Implemented rotating tetris pieces. Not decided on a graphical approach for these yet - the original have the pieces slanted but I don't have the pixel count to do this. So for the time being they rotate slowly.

P#105113 2022-01-15 00:18 ( Edited 2022-01-16 01:08)

Hey folks,

So I bought Pico-8 last weekend and have spent a few nights reacquainting myself with Lua (which I hadn't used much of before anyway) and learning Pico-8's nuances. I figured since I was still learning I would recreate one of my favourite puzzle games of all time - Lumines.

I will warn you, the graphics and (especially) sound are a bit rough. Also, I borrowed the fade code from Zep but re-purposed it to sort of fade in. It sort of works. I'll have to make an effort to learn exactly what that does.

But the gameplay itself is fine I think, adhering to the rules of the original. Scoring is a bit broken due to the integer limit and I haven't really looked into ways to get large integers yet.

If you fancy improving it be my guest! Likewise if you want to use some elements of it elsewhere (as unlikely as that sounds) that's fine too. It isn't really commented as much as it should be (sorry!)

Cart #26704 | 2016-08-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | Forks ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA
6

Anyway, have fun!
Cheers,
WeeblBull

P#26705 2016-08-09 18:38 ( Edited 2016-08-10 14:43)

Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2022-09-25 11:56:56 | 0.072s | Q:24