Cart #witness8b1-1 | 2022-01-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a WIP demake of The Witness, a puzzle game released in 2016 on PC and subsequently consoles and phones. Although the original game was more involved (no spoilers here in case people haven't played it), the core mechanic involved drawing lines on boards to satisfy the logic of symbols placed on the board.

I'm uploading now as (I hope) I've just finished the logic on the "tetris piece" blocks which are arguably the most tricky to implement, though rotating versions still need to be written in. The original game was brilliant in introducing new symbols in a progressive way, so the player learnt the nuances as they played. I'm hoping my scaled-down finished version will do this too, so I don't want to spoil by explain the logic here. Hopefully there will be some players of the original here that can give this a play and let me know if there are any bugs.

Press Z/O to start drawing a line and X to cancel. When the end of the line is at the exit point (the nub that extends outside the grid), press Z/O again to see if you were correct. Currently the line is moved by the smallest grid increment but I'll change this to jump to "intersections" to speed up drawing.

There are six levels in this build and you can skip to the next one from the pico-8 menu. Levels are written to memory in the format I want to pack them in the end, then indexed and loaded.

Todo:

Mirrored lines
Testing multiple exits
Title screen and level select menu
Level editor
General polish

Changelog:

210116: Fixed issue with invalid starting moves (thanks for flagging, @dw817)
210116: Implemented rotating tetris pieces. Not decided on a graphical approach for these yet - the original have the pieces slanted but I don't have the pixel count to do this. So for the time being they rotate slowly.

P#105113 2022-01-15 00:18 ( Edited 2022-01-16 01:08)

Pow. This error is easy to find, @WeeblBull. Hold down 🅾️ and ⬇️ to crash the code.

P#105114 2022-01-15 00:58

LOL - I can't believe I never did that at all in testing! See, that's why I needed other people to try it!

P#105115 2022-01-15 01:02

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 15:15:24 | 0.017s | Q:19