Thanks for all the help guys! Makes my life easier! I've double checked the games, so please double check them for me too! I have also updated to 0.1.9 (just in case anyone wants to take advantage of any new features)
@dollarone nice job man! Thanks for adding it to the cart for me!
@ElGregos Awesome! I added your game! Just to be sure, there's no music or sfx, right? Also, I fixed a small bug with "name","author"="stuck!","elgregos" (hope that's ok!) Tell me how to play your game! I'm confused :3
@catnipped Awesome man! Thanks for dumping that in! Your cheese is truly superior to mine. Want to replace my cheese with yours, and add another sprite in place of your cheese?
@johanp Sweet! keep it up man!
@johanp Awesome man! Thanks for dumping that in as well!
@misato Haven't forgotten about you! <3
edit: PAGE THREEEEE
Ok, finally finished my entry: a PICO-8 demake of the popular flash game, Boomshine created by Danny Miller.
I've have to sacrifice a few aspects in order to meet the token limit of 512 (which I believe/hope, I am spot on to). TBH, it's been this juggling of features vs. tokens that's taken me so long to complete.
(That and the fact that I'd originally built a game that was FAR too big to work with!)
Anyway, pls let me know if I've missed anything.
PS. - I'm only using ONE sprite, so feel free to pass the rest of my allocation to anyone who needs it :D
@catnipped I made a box of some sort, lol:
@catnipped What do you mean exactly "add rightmost flag to my sprites"? This one?
I'm guessing we'll have to have one more passthrough at the end for that flag :)
@Liquidream Oh, I loved this game. So glad you made a pico8 demake! Fantastic!!! I've added it to the cart! (v14)
@josefnpat thanks! I still have a friend visiting at home (it was a surprise so I had no idea he was coming, I knew it when I posted my last reply). I can clean up the tokens on friday-saturday because the game is ready but it has too many tokens!
If there's still time I'm in. Otherwise I'm sorry :(
There was a small problem with "(x)RETRY" position in my game, so I fixed it. While I was there, I put the sounds back. 512 tokens and 4094 chars!
@josefnpat I put everything back in the collab below:
Here's the cart with my updated game only, in case you prefer to insert it back to the collab yourself. But then watch the special (x) (shift+x) character in "(x)RETRY", its copy-pasting is buggy.
Oh and btw the game's quite simple, just use the arrows to move the white square and you'll quickly get it.
My game is complete! It is a simple Simon Says variant. Could probably been made a ton more efficient but it's my first pico-8 game so please bear with me!
However! I have no idea how to attach it to this post! I've tried uploading it as an image, but it will not stick. Halp?
Everyone made some really awesome games! I'm super proud of all of you!
I used some leftover spaaace to add a title graphic.
If anyone has any bug fixes / changes, please:
- ensure that you are using the most recently posted cart (e.g. if someone posts an update to the cart while you're working on yours, you need to use theirs instead so we don't lose any changes)
- you are not breaking anyone's encoding or cart
- Current version of "Collab16" is 16.0. If you fix/add anything, please up the secondary release number (e.g. 16.1)
PS: LIKE A GLOVE:
This is a great collection of little games. I think the Pac-10 game is my favorite, I've been going back to it the most.
However, unfortunately, the final cart doesn't play on the PocketCHIP :(
The last update when there was just 15 games worked fine but after the last one was added it no longer works. Hopefully we can find a fix because I think this is a great cart for new PocketCHIP owners to try out.
Well done all - this was a great experience, which certainly gave me a challenge. Very glad to have been a part of it. :D
Mega congrats to @josefnpat for creating, managing and completing a totally new collaboration experience and nailing it, first time! ;)
@Liquidream I'm glad you had a good experience. I realize that this jam was actually some folks first games (at least in pico8), unless I'm mistaken. This is very cool.
@RyhthmLynx Thanks man, it was my pleasure.
So, there seems to be a lot of excitement over another Collab16, and I have enough time right now to to another. Before we start, I would like to take a moment to reflect, and ask folks what could have been done better, and what went well.
Some of my notes:
- We need to be faster: we need to figure out a better way of cycling folks in and out, so it doesn't take 2.5 weeks to complete. While time isn't super important, I'd love to hear some ideas that we can use to speed the process up. I don't like the idea of imposing deadlines, because then people put it off until the end. Then there's a ton of work at the end.
- Can we do a cart relay race of some sort?Can we get away with a first come first server idea so that people just hand a cart around? This might speed things up, but might screw with folks who choose the same GFX/AUDIO/etc sections.
- Can we use source control? Does the pico8 community have enough wherewithal to use git or mercurial? Considering how much help I got from other devs (when it came to folks inserting their own game into the cart, or other folks making changes to reduce token count etc) this might be a non-issue.
- Would it make sense to do a Collab8, Collab32 or Collab64? I barely got a game out in the 250 tokens I had available (as the were for the menu). I'm not sure that 256 or 128 would really be interesting. Also, coordinating 16 devs already was a task of it's own.
- How can we include more people? I was thinking we could have multiple carts going at once, so that everyone could join in.
- How can we get more people to use the MAP? The map section was practically unused, meaning 1/2 of MAP memory was empty. Perhaps we could provide wrapper libraries?
- How can we encourage folks to share tokens? Perhaps we could allow folks to put global functions at the top, that other players could use?
- Adding extra libraries If we add some libraries, everyone might have less tokens to work with, but then again, there would be some more token sharing. I guess this is the same as the previous point.
- Should we add the menu to the global token count? As much as I liked writing a game in 256 tokens, that was hell. Might be pertinent to make that a global function, so that the token count is on everyone, and not just the first dev. This way, we don't need to have someone make a "sacrifice".
I think any kind of relay or handoff order is going to be bad. If Dwarf Fortress succession games have taught me anything, it's that it only takes one slow person to kill it for everyone.
Everyone sharing the token hit for the overhead seems fairest, though there could just be N-1 games instead of N too.
What about something like WarioWare? Quick win/lose minigames, that automatically progress from one to the next, in a random order, and you end up with a total score. Each game can give between 0-3 points, say. The song tracks could be a separate collaboration, and play throughout a run.
Mayyybe even 32 people could do this? And not even use _update() etc., just one function call, use flip(), and return the number of points scored...
If you have a game already, please consider posting it in that thread if you are still interested in having your game added!
[Please log in to post a comment]