Follow
catnipped
SHOW MORE

Cart #40065 | 2017-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

made for BANANA JAM to be played on a DIY arcade machine (made from banana boxes) on RETROSPELSMÄSSAN 2017 at BANANPIREN. check out the jam entry here: https://catnip.itch.io/monoid

made by Ossian Borén (pod3x3) and Erik Svedäng ({Else.Heartbreak})

MONOID is a shooter with a polarity mechanic (Ikaruga, Fast Racing). You can only be hurt by projectiles the flashing projectiles, switch polarity to change them into powerups instead! you have a shared energy meter for both health and ammo.
you get 1 point per pickup and 10 points per enemy, but each pickup you get without getting it will add a multiplier of 1. while you have less than 20 energy that multiplier is doubled. have fun!

P#40066 2017-04-30 09:55 ( Edited 2017-04-30 13:56)

SHOW MORE

so i'm starting to get near the often mentioned but never explained token limit in my project. and while I think I might fit everything i want into this project, I think I need to keep tokens in mind from the get go of my next project.

so I have some questions:

what is a token? what counts towards the token limit? can i look at my existing code and try to optimize it with token limit in mind? and also do you have any tips & tricks while developing with this in mind?

P#23272 2016-06-20 03:39 ( Edited 2016-06-20 15:58)

SHOW MORE

Cart #19882 | 2016-04-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

ok so finally i'm releasing my game on the bbs. it was previously on itch.io (pay what you want) so if should you want to pay for it, or just want to check out the page, go here: https://catnip.itch.io/pod3x3

pod3x3 is a somewhat unusual take on the RTS genre, with the constraints of the 2 player 8 bit pico-8 console in mind. the result is something more in likeness to a fighting or dogfighting game. a game of zoning and feinting to get the upper hand of your opponent. easy to learn, hard to master. the game can be played 1 vs 1, vs AI or AI vs AI.

but first things first:

how to play pod3x3
in pod3x3, each player give orders to 3 pods each. these pods are somewhat like tanks. you cycle between your pods with button 1. with the up and down buttons, you set the active pod's throttle. with the left and right buttons, you can change the pod's direction. the pod will try to match its rotation and velocity to the selected direction and throttle, even if you cycle to another pod later.

every pod is equipped with a turret that will automatically target and shoot at the nearest enemy. when a pod is selected, you can see the turret's current range as the circle around the pod. the range is bigger the faster you go, but it is also offset so that the turret have a harder time shooting backwards. this is the key to winning the a game of pod3x3.

if you're in a bind, you can hold button 2 to activate a shield. you can only use the shield on the active pod, and the pod cannot shoot while using its shield. however, the pod only takes 1/10 of the usual damage when the shield is up. the shield uses a shared meter that regenerates when not in use.

oh and one last trick — if you press button 1 and 2 at the same time, you e-brake. e-braking resets all your pods throttle to 0.

the arena is the big white circle. if a pod moves outside the circle, the autopilot is engaged and the pod is steered back into the arena. after one minute, the arena will start shrinking, watch out!

controls

title screen
ready player — button 1
activate AI — button 2

in-game
throttle up/down — up/down
change direction — left/right
switch pod — button 1
shield — button 2
e-brake — button 1+2

keyboard
up/down/left/right — p1: arrow buttons p2: e/d/s/f
button 1 — p1: z or n p2: tab
button 2 — p1: x or m p2: q

P#19883 2016-04-18 09:25 ( Edited 2018-06-27 17:58)

SHOW MORE

Cart #18128 | 2016-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #17905 | 2015-12-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

decided to try out pico-8 for an animation i wanted to procedurally. enjoy :*

1.1 fixed a few timing and text formatting issues. it is now finished!

P#17906 2015-12-18 11:47 ( Edited 2016-01-12 22:01)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 06:15:17 | 0.072s | Q:20