Follow
Maeve
Train Journey
by Maeve
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #cityview-8 | 2024-03-27 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a moving wallpaper I made, hope u enjoy :)

P#144645 2024-03-27 07:58 ( Edited 2024-03-27 22:40)

load #piconet_explorer-12
// to load from inside Picotron

HI! I thought it would be neat to have a little isolated version of the internet for the Picotron! This is a very rough start of what I think that might look like (I have no idea how web protocols or any of that stuff works). This is also serving as kind of a test, because I wrote a program to scan a BBS page for a certain word and add it to the browsing catalogue, and I haven't tested that just yet.

There's a few bugs here and there tho; I'm not sure how you're meant to sort the draw order in a GUI so things may float on top of the tabs when scrolling. Also I've noticed that the homepage of one of my demo pages occasionally causes the program to run out of memory. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the gif imitation thing, but I have no idea why that would cause that.
Edit: it may be that this memory issue is actually a picotron problem! I suppose I'll just wait for future versions. But if it's not and anyone has a way to fix, let me know!

Anyway (IT WORKS NOW!), to add a page to the browsing catalogue, you need to type a comment in this format, replacing the plus symbols with caret symbols:

+PICOSITE+ link + title + about +

Notice where the spaces are placed! this is actually important lol
an example:

^PICOSITE^ https://raw.githubusercontent.com/May0san/piconetdemo/main/home.lua ^ PicoNet Homepage ^ The homepage of the PicoNet! ^

Try to not make your "about" too long. I apologize in advance for the messy disorganized code lmao, I'll probably be working on it. If you want to download files, add a "downloads" folder to your system at the root level. If anyone wants to propose a better standard for this, feel free :)

As for writing the actual page, you can view my examples on this github repo:
https://github.com/May0san/piconetdemo/tree/main

EDIT: looks like it crashes on the webplayer so you may have to download the cart

Update: downloads will now create the downloads directory if it doesn't exist.

Features:
✅ visit and display hosted file with gui data (a "picosite")
✅ catalogue all the sites posted on this forum page into a browser list
✅ allows use of a "gif" which is really just an image with multiple sprites in one and is indexed with sspr to advance the animation. (subject to modification when sitebuilder is complete, will mostly still work the same though.)
☑️ create a "sitebuilder" site (and also corresponding cart) to graphically design and export websites as code
❌ sort the catalogue by newest by default
❌ allow tags on the listed sites
❌ extract from the forum page how many stars a reply has and use that to gauge and display that on the catalogue
❌ sort by popular, search by tags

P#144017 2024-03-21 08:16 ( Edited 2024-03-26 08:00)

load #amateur_3d-0
// to load from inside Picotron

Hi! I've been working on trying to get something 3D for a while now, and in my first attempt, I wrote my own matrix functions, and I didn't even realize that userdata had built in support for matrix operations!! Well fortunately picotron crashed and I had to rewrite the whole thing!! :sob:

So anyway the cartridge above is my attempt at 3D rendering. This is my second ever attempt so there are probably some inefficiencies in there; so let me know if you have ways to make it run faster!! I've got 3 models included in comments in the code (no fancy gui yet, sorry, just paste the link from the comment to the "parse_obj()" function) so you can see how it performs with different size models.

The main reason I'm posting this is because I spent a really long time figuring out how userdata stuff works and using matrix operations with them, so hopefully this could be a good reference for anyone who is planning to use them?

Welp, thanks for checking this out! Later!

P#143804 2024-03-19 05:09 ( Edited 2024-03-19 05:17)

Hi! I have been trying to run code from multiple lua files for organization's sake. Since the "require" keyword from lua still seems to not work, I've been trying to figure out other ways. I've been scouring what I could find about picotron and the only way I could figure to import code from another lua file was this, based on what I could understand of the proggy code:

this lists out the dependencies and runs the text in those files as functions as far as I understand it:

here's the matrix lua file:

and here's the folders in the loaded cart:

if anyone else has figured out how to do this in a better way, please let me know because I'm probably doin this in a very silly way. but otherwise, I hope this is helpful!!!

(sorry if this is in the wrong category, picotron isn't showing up for me in the category option for posting, unless i click the post button directly from the cartridges page. edit: I figured out how to post in the right category, I will do that properly next time!)

P#143331 2024-03-16 16:55 ( Edited 2024-03-16 17:06)

Cart #planet_song_kaiba-0 | 2023-01-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A cover I made of a lovely song from a fantastic animated series called Kaiba. The animation is also based on that show.

I hope you enjoy!
. /) /)
.( • ༝•) ~

P#124437 2023-01-17 00:41

Cart #trainjourney-3 | 2023-06-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Train Journey

You wake up on an empty train. None of its stops are your own. How will you get home...?

Description:

Train Journey is a 16-cartridge PICO-8 game (the maximum size) about a mysterious train to which the player is seemingly bound. Travel between stops, meet unique characters, and learn their stories. Can you free yourself and return home? Or will you ride the train forever...?

Controls:

[X/V]: Use Shooty (an unlockable item)

Enter: Pause

Left & Right Arrow Keys: Movement

Up Arrow Key: Interact & Shooty Up

Down Arrow Key+[X/V]: Use Shovel

The game is also compatible with most controllers.

Notes:

Due to the way I used PICO-8 to make this game, and as a result of the level layout, you are unable to save in any "train stop" level. The game can only be saved in the train (when the screen flashes "game saved"). Note that the candle checkpoints are only checkpoints! You will not start at the checkpoint if you restart the game, so I'd recommend playing one level at a time, when you have the time to beat a whole level in a single sitting.

Note that there may be some bugs still left in, so please let me know if you spot any! (I really need some variation in my cockroach stew I'm making)

I'll be releasing the whole soundtrack on my YouTube Channel, so go check it out if you want!

Even if you're not interested in playing, thank you so much for checking out this game!

And if you are interested in the game, you can check out its itch.io page!

(Ok, also a disclaimer, I spent a couple hours modifying these 16 cartridges and making it so that it works when uploaded to the BBS, so I may have made a mistake while doing that. Please let me know if you encounter any issues with loading into new areas. And due to how tedious it is to make it work in the BBS, this version of the game probably won't receive as frequent of bugfixes as the version on itch.io)

P#122991 2022-12-25 17:54 ( Edited 2023-06-13 21:11)

Cart #tj_demo_main-2 | 2022-09-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

HI THERE!!! ヾ(•ω•`)o

(I might've messed the formatting up, so I may have to edit this a few times)

So I've been working on this project for a little over a year and now it's almost time to release it! I'm SUPER excited!!!
o(≧∀≦)o
Above, you can play the demo. It contains the first two levels of the game and cuts off at the third. I hope you enjoy it! And lemme know if something goes wrong while playing it.

The concept originally came to me from a piece of artwork in the Famicase gallery (I think it was either the 2018 or 2019 one). The cart was called "TrainTrip". There wasn't a very detailed description of the artwork, so I started thinking up something very different from what one might expect based on that description. It eventually branched off so far and became such a big project for me, so I changed the name slightly, but kept it similar as a reference to the original artwork. Some other big inspirations for me were Kaiba, Night on the Galactic Railroad, and Galaxy Express 999, all of which feature a protagonist who is taken across different lands, but who has no control over the vehicle they ride or where they go (and yes, two of which feature trains). Obviously, I highly recommend those three animations.

Oh and here's a trailer:

(* ̄v ̄)つ

https://youtu.be/tPRZkuDq-EM

And here's a playlist with the soundtrack:

I'll only upload music from the demo until the full game is out)
(。・∀・)ノ

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvqyTqffzGlsk-PgMheDmQLEPgt9tl3vl

Aaand here's some cool art I made:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

OK!! Thanks for coming to see my post!! I reeally appreciate it! <3

╰(°▽°)╯ <(Bye-bye!)

P#117558 2022-09-17 05:41 ( Edited 2022-09-17 16:40)

Cart #eftal-3 | 2021-03-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Optional background: (Contains spoilers for the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind books by Hayao Miyazaki!)

After the "Seven Days of Fire," a global war that ended all forms of industrial civilization when it was at its climax, civilization was reformed somewhat into the kingdom of Eftal which retained many of the technological wonders from before the event. Close to 700 years after the Seven Days of Fire, disagreements over the right to the throne and attempts to destroy the spreading toxic jungle that had appeared just after the apocalypse resulted in the kingdom's near-complete destruction.

The insects which reside in the jungle were enraged by the constant attacks on it, and a surge of insects-- including the king insects of the jungle, the Ohmu-- overtook the capital city of Eftal and nearby lands, becoming seedbeds for the fungus of the jungle. Those that survived this tidal wave of forest and insect (called a Daikaisho) either became a tribe of mercenaries or entered the forest which they call their home, surviving off of a symbiotic relationship with the plants and insects that live there.

Based on Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

P#88189 2021-02-26 05:07 ( Edited 2021-03-15 15:16)

Cart #catwalk-3 | 2021-02-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first PICO-8 game!

It's also my first non-endless-arcade-type game really.
Let me know what you think!
<3

P#87082 2021-02-01 17:30 ( Edited 2021-02-08 22:55)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 08:32:50 | 0.074s | Q:37