SQUIBIDI is my entry to the #7DBL jam happening on itch.io where you have to design a game in the same style of Micheal Brough games. In SQUIBIDI, you play as a squid that is trying to escape from the underwater kingdom while every other sea creature is trying to stop you. You can shoot ink in the opposite direction of the movement to kill enemies or change direction or you can drift with the water to recharge your ink capacity.
- Arrows: to shoot ink and change direction
- X or Z: to drift with the water current and recharge your ink
- Try not to hit anything as ram into object cause 1 damage to you, only do it when necessary (you can kill enemies by doing that)
- Killing enemies recharge your ink to the fullist so plan it well
- The barncle that block the exit is destroyed automatically when you kill all the enemies but you can destroy it by shooting 3 ink balls
- Enemies with more than 1 health get frozen for one frame when they are hit
- You gain 1 health back when you advance to the next room
I know it is not much and might have some bugs but I hope you will enjoy it :)
I am kinda new to Pico-8 (as I worked with TIC-80 before). I am working on a game and I was trying to manage the code to be more readable by moving some code around.
I added all the helper functions at the top of the p8 file (as I was trying to move it to another lua file to use the #include command). When I ran the code, no error but it didn't behave as it supposes to do. The helper functions use some global variables so I moved that code to be after the definition of the variables and it worked fine.
Does functions in pico8 lua bind the variables in the function to the global variables when it is defined (which is before the definition of the variables) that's why it is reading nil? I am not amazing with these binding stuff so sorry if I am using incorrect termonolgy.