A Halloween endless runner! Collect candy corn, phase through stuff, and in general be a ghost!
Feel free to post your top scores here!
- Arrows: Move
- X: Continue/Phase Out
(Note: You can also change the color palette from the pause menu if you want. The jam's specific restriction was 3 colors on screen at once, so this feature doesn't violate it.)
This is just a simple little visual toy I made, not an actual game.
I decided to try making a Tweetcart the other day, and realized that the method I was using generated a lot of different animated patterns when you changed just one value in it (180 patterns, to be exact). So, I built a menu around it to manually change that value and wound up with this.
And yes, I did go through all 180 possibilities to find the ones I though looked good. I had a long car ride and time to kill, ok?
Anyways, just thought I'd put this here in case people were interested. Feel free to post your favorites!
NOTE: You can find the original Tweetcart (or at least a gif of it and a code screenshot) on my Twitter: @Jusiv_
It's the same effect as Pattern #5 in this version.
You can also play ADC on its itch.io page!
- - - ABOUT - - -
So right after I finished my first released game, Messages, I decided that I wanted to try and make an RPG in Pico-8. Well, about a month and a half later, this is what that project became.
This thing barely fits on a cart, using almost 8192 tokens, each of the 64 available sounds, and basically all of the sprite and texture data.
Oh, and I did what I could with the soundtrack, but I'm not a musician so I can't promise anything about it's quality.
And if you're interesting in finding out about future projects of mine, you can check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_
- - - BASIC CONTROLS - - -
Change Skill Tab (only in battle)
Interact (when prompted)
If you stand still for a few seconds, you can view your current status.
- - - COMBAT - - -
You have three basic types of skills you can use in combat: Attacks, Spells, and Actions. In order to use a skill, you will have to perform a quick minigame to determine its effectiveness. As you level up, you will unlock more skills.
Attacks and Spells are offensive. The base damage they deal is determined by how well you execute their minigame, but the final damage dealt is also affected by the enemy's defense against the chosen type of skill. Higher-tier Attacks and Spells are more powerful, but also harder to execute.
- To perform an Attack, you will have to stop a series of moving sliders on the highlighted sections using Z/X.
- To perform a Spell, you will have to quickly sort a series of runes by color (orange or blue). If they're orange, hit Left, and if they're blue hit Right.
Actions are defensive, and there are only two available: Flee and Recover. Flee exits a battle (if executed correctly), while Recover restores up to half of your maximum health and can cure status effects if performed well enough.
- To perform Flee, rapidly hit the button shown. Pay attention, since the required button may change after each successful press!
- To perform Recover, you have to keep a meter balanced in the center using Left and Right. The amount of health restored will vary depending on your maximum HP and how effectively you executed the minigame. If you get an Amazing or Epic rating, it will also cure any status effect you have! Recover has a 2-turn cooldown.
Lastly, there are three status effects which enemies can give you: Poison, Dizzy, and Panic.
- Poison deals damage over time.
- Dizzy has a chance to halve your base damage when you use an Attack or a Spell.
- Panic makes minigames harder to execute.
- - - CHANGELOG - - -
v1.0 - Initial Release (7/30/2017)
v2.0 - Revision (7/21/2019)
- The intro can now be skipped through
- Minigame prompts are more clear
- Poison now deals 25% of your current health per turn instead of just 1 point
- Recover only removes status conditions if performed with an Amazing or Epic rating
- The encounter rate is a bit lower
- Experience gained from a battle is now shown
- You no longer have to use Reset Cart to return from the ending screen
- Extra visual polish has been sprinkled in a few places
- Some sprites got tweaked
- A few other random miscellaneous details
v2.1 - Small Update (1/12/2021)
- The intro can now be completely skipped through the pause menu
- Fixed typo calling the "Recover" ability "Rest"
- Fixed possible issue with restarting after beating the boss.
- Tweaked encounter rate slightly
An odd game about texting.
You can choose when it ends...
How far are you willing to go?
Z/C: Look at Phone; Send Message
X: Put Phone Away; Go to Sleep (Hold)
Arrow Keys: Choose Message
(All controls are explained in-game)
- This game touches on some darker subjects, which people may be sensitive to.
- This game includes some dialogue which is arguably like cyberbullying.
- This game is about dialogue, so be prepared to read. The script contains nearly 350 individual texts, though there's no way to see each one in a single playthrough.
This is a companion game to my surreal adventure game NULL.
- v1: Initial Release
- v1.1: Corrected an illogical text.
- v1.2: Reworded a couple texts.
- v1.3: Fixed a couple minor spelling/word choice issues.